Remedies For A Runny Nose
Runny Nose Remedy
Waking up sneezing and a runny nose can be such a miserable way to start the day. Some refer to their non stop sneezing as a running nose though the more correct term is a runny nose. A "running nose" and watery eyes was how I often greeted each day.
These are some remedies for a runny nose. Some have worked for me so that I don't have a runny nose anymore while some have worked for others having the same problem. I had started with a bout of hay fever allergy which just got worse over the years till my runny nose and sneezing was 365 days of the year.
Do You Suffer From A Running Nose?
Common name for rhinitis
For a long time I thought that running nose was the correct term for the mucus continually running down. A friend later corrected me and told me it should be referred to as a runny nose. Anyway, the mucus do tend to run down with regularity every morning.
Runny nose is the more common name used for rhinitis which is the result of an allergy reaction.
It is caused by inflammation of the internal area of the nose by either virus,bacteria or irritants. It results in excessive amounts of mucous and thus the runny nose as well as nasal congestion. It affects the nose, throat and eyes and has been linked to sleeping problems and ear conditions.
Every morning, I would display most if not all of the symptoms below. I find that the non stop sneezing and stuffy nose were the worst.
Itching of nose, mouth, eyes, throat, palate, ear and skin
Red and watery eyes
Runny and stuffy nose
Non stop sneezing
"Hay fever symptoms may affect 30 million people in the next 20 years"
UK Telegraph On The Hay Fever Health Report
What Causes A Runny Nose
Allergic reaction of the nose. So can we stop a runny nose?
My runny nose can be a combination of causes and understanding what has caused it helps me to know what remedy is more suitable to my condition.
Rhinitis or Runny Nose can be divided into 3 types.
1. Non allergic rhinitis - symptoms similar to hay fever but no allergy involved.The irritant can be smoke, change in temperature, stress and even food and can cause a runny nose. The change in temperature in the mornings affect me most.
Prolonged nasal congestion can develop into inflammation of the lining of the nose or sinus. Sinusitis is the correct name for sinus infection though many simply refer their ailment as sinus.
2. Allergic rhinitis - allergic response to dust, molds, animal dander, mites,etc. When a runny nose is caused by pollen it is commonly known as hay fever. Occurs during early spring from pollen of wind pollinated plants. Plants which cause hay fever are trees like birch and olive, grasses and weeds. A person can suffer hay fever throughout the year. Spring cleaning always makes me sneeze so I try to wear a mask whenever i need to do it!
3. Infective rhinitis - a runny nose caused by bacteria.
How To Stop A Runny Nose
Remedies for a runny nose that may work for you
1. Blow Your Congested Nose Gently
Blowing hard could lead to a sore nose
Anyone who has a runny nose will tell you that blowing the nose is instinctive.
However it is best to blow a congested nose gently at regular intervals. Blowing too hard or excessively will only irritate the outside of your nose and will also cause your nose to be tender and sore. Once the skin around the nose is raw and sore, even slight blowing of the nose is going to be very painful.
Use good quality of tissues. Poor quality tissues may aggravate your runny nose with its powdery texture. Never use toilet paper as the rough surface will cause your nose to be sore.
Drinking lots of water throughout the day will help to keep your body hydrated. A runny nose can cause your body fluids to be depleted. Avoid cold water, instead drink lukewarm water. This will certainly help.
3. Take Vitamin C
Lessen allergic reaction
During an allergic attack the Vitamin C level in the blood drops while the histamine level rises. Histamine is released in the blood when an allergic person inhales pollen or dust. Oral taking of Vitamin C will help to lower the levels of histamine in the blood and so lessen the allergic reaction like the runny nose.
Choose a Vitamin C that also has the bioflavonoid quercetin as the two combined is more effective.
4. Drink Some Honey And Lemon
Add some honey to boiled minced grapefruit and lemon and drink it 3 times a day. It is very soothing and refreshing.
Honey certainly has medicinal benefits but whether it is effective as anti allergen is still unknown. Some hay fever sufferers suggest it may be a cure for hay fever but studies have not been conclusive.
5. Lie Down And Rest
I find this works wonders for me when I have a constant runny nose and sneezing a lot. My nose is less congested and my eyes do not water so much.
Could it be the rest I am getting or my nose no longer subject to gravity? Whatever the reason, lying down for a rest seems to work.
6. Grape Seed Extract has antihistamine properties
Try the new 2-in-1 antioxidant
Other than Vitamin C, you can also take grape seed extract. It has antihistamine properties without the side effects of anti-histamine drugs. Its antioxidant power is 20 times more than Vitamin C. Dosage can be 50-100mg 2-3 times a day after meals.
Try the new Proflavanol C100 which is a combination of grape seed extract and Vitamin C in a single tablet using hybrid technology through bilayer tableting. Together they provides the best of both worlds in a single powerful pill. It also simplifies your routine by taking two antioxidants in one tablet.
Do you find yourself sneezing when in a warm place?
Being in a cool place helps my runny nose much better than when I am outdoors in a warm place. One reason for this is that on hot sunny days the heat dries up the irritants and make them airborne. The bright glare from the sun also causes strain to the eyes and sensitizes the mucus membranes of the nose.
8. Regulate Speed Of Fan And Air Conditioner
Moving fan circulating irritants in the room bad for runny nose
Some people are affected when sleeping for long periods in an air conditioned room. One of the causes of the runny nose could be sensitivity to the cold temperature. Other reasons may be the air pollutants circling throughout the room. Some of these pollutants include molds, chemicals from the cleaning materials, dirt and dust.
It is advisable that air conditioner filters are cleaned regularly to reduce circulating of the same pollutants within the room. When you find your nose congested, either turn off the air conditioner or turn it down low. This runny nose remedy will help to reduce the congested nose.
For some people sleeping beneath a rotating fan can aggravate their runny nose. A moving fan causes the fine dust, dust mites and molds to be airborne. When sleeping under the fan, air is blown in to the nasal cavities along with irritants which will cause the nose to be congested with thick mucus.
As with the air conditioner, lower the speed of the fan. Close the windows so that outside pollutants are not drawn in and circulated within the room.
9. Use A Nasal Spray - Helps relieve runny nose symptoms
Natural prevention of allergy symptoms with once a day application. Delivers a dose of micronized cellulose powder into the nasal cavity.
10. Antihistamine Tablets
Only as last resort remedy for a runny nose
Sometimes when the non stop sneezing and runny nose is chronic you may want to consider taking an antihistamine tablet for temporary relief. Cetirizine is an antihistamine used for treatment of allergies like hay fever. FDA has approved the use of Zyrtec-D for allergies.
Cetirizine reduces the sedative side effects that were common with older antihistamines.
Runny Nose Remedies Poll
What has helped you the most?
How To Prevent Getting A Runny Nose
Steps To Prevent A Runny Nose
Practical solutions to minimize this problem
#1. Build up your immune system by taking a supplement with optimized amounts of antioxidants.
#2. Wash the bedding and clean floors frequently to reduce dust and other local irritants.
#3. Reduce your exposure to pollen. Remain indoors during hay fever season especially during mornings and evenings when pollen levels are the highest.
#4. When traveling in a vehicle, close all windows.
#5. Take a shower before bed to minimize exposure to pollens that may have go on to your clothes.
#6. Try to avoid pets and carpets.
#7. If need to shower in the morning, take a hot rather than a cold shower.
#8. Use a vacuum rather than a broom to sweep the floor.
#9. If doing spring cleaning or even clearing out cupboards and book shelves, wear a mask to minimize the amount of dust entering the nose.
#10. Some have found swimming regularly helps though for me the chlorine in the swimming pools can aggravate my nose.
#11. Do not smoke and choose non-smoking public areas.
#12. Place a humidifier in your room.
#13. Clean the air by using an air purifier to remove dust, animal dander, cigarette smoke.
Humidifier For the Room Very Effective Remedy For Runny Nose
Helps thin mucus and drain runny nose
Many physicians recommend the use of a humidifier to help relieve nasal congestion.
Since dry air makes a runny nose worse, having a humidifier in your bedroom will certainly be an effective remedy. Humidifiers moistens the air and helps to thin the mucus in the nasal membrane and so drains the runny nose.
Your Runny Nose May Indicate A Disorder Of The Immune System
Immune system overreacting to pollutants
The immune system is simply a protection mechanism that defend us against millions of microbes, bacteria, virus, toxins and other foreign bodies which invade our bodies.
Allergies like the runny nose are disorders of the immune system. They result when our immune system overreacts to certain stimuli which does not affect another person. The defenses aggressively attacks normally harmless substances like dust, mold and pollen as damaging the body.
Since allergies are because our immune system is not functioning properly, it makes sense that we take steps to correct this.
Best Remedy For A Runny Nose
Boost Your Immune System
1. Take a quality nutritional supplement which provides all the antioxidants together with supporting B vitamins and antioxidant minerals at optimum levels.
How to choose a quality nutritional supplement is important not only to get value for money but for it to have any significant effect on your health.
2. Eat a well balanced diet. Avoid processed foods as much as possible.
3. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables which provide a lot of the vitamins, minerals and phyto-nutrients necessary for a strong immune system.
4. Plenty of rest. The immune system is somehow repaired during sleep. We all know that anyone who is not getting enough rest is prone to fall sick.
5. Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily to flush out toxins from our bodies.
6. Exercise regularly. A brisk walk for 20-30 minutes a day will help strengthen our bones and muscles and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
7. Avoid stress. Stress has been found to stimulate immune-suppressing chemicals.
8. Avoid pollution like smoking, air and environmental pollution.
9. Practice good hygiene every day. It will greatly reduce exposure to bacteria and other foreign matter.
10. Avoid excessive alcohol and caffeine.
Essentials To Boost Your Immune System
With patented olive oil
Usana Essentials provide the full range of vitamins, chelated minerals and anti-oxidants to boost your immune system.
- Contains patented olive fruit extract not found in other multi-vitamin formula
- Sufficient Vitamin B's to protect heart and increased energy levels
- Bioflavonoids like pomegranates and cinnamon to extend antioxidant activities
Living With Allergies And Hay Fever
You don't need to suffer a runny nose all year round
- Part of the award winning public television series Healthy Body/Healthy Mind.
- What do dust, cat hair, and pollen have in common?
- This program explains that you don't have to suffer year round. Learn how you can bring Allergic Rhinitis ( AR )under control.
Helpful Tips For Those Who Suffer From A Runny Nose
- How To Distinguish Hay Fever From A Cold
Allergies and cold share many similar symptoms. How to know weather you are having a common cold which will be over in a few days or you are suffering from allergic rhinitis.
- Extract from The Journal Of American Medical Association (JAMA) 2002
JAMA recommends Vitamins for Chronic Disease Prevention in Adults.