- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Intake of essential nutritional supplements to ease fibromyalgia pain
Fibromyalgia is a chronic syndrome which is distinguished by extensive musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, sleep disorders and numerous tender points on the body. Tender points are certain locations on the body that are achy or tender when pressure is exerted on them especially on the neck, back, elbows, thighs and hips. Some of the common symptoms of fibromyalgia are:
- Unrelenting muscle pain, spasms or rigidity
- Profound exhaustion and lack of stamina and energy
- Non-restorative sleep which causes the person to get up feeling tired and drained of energy
- Rigidity of the muscles after remaining in one position for too long or after waking up in the morning
- Trouble remembering, focusing, thinking and recalling –this is also known as fibro fog
- Stomach ache, swelling, nausea, vomiting, constipation and diarrhea
- Migraine headaches
- Extreme sensitivity to touch, odors, noise, medications and certain foods
- Depression or anxiety
- Tingling, numbness or stinging in the hands and feet
- Irritable bladder
The symptoms of fibromyalgia flare up during some days and become mild on the others. But the pain is consistent, unrelenting and incurable. Symptoms tend to flare up with exhaustion, hormonal changes, weather changes, lack of exercise and stress.
Addressing fibromyalgia through adopting effective strategies
Research has proved that people who showed negligence in maintaining optimal weight, managing stress, ingesting essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals and experienced a traumatic emotional incident over time developed the symptoms of fibromyalgia. To restore and bolster immunity and to help the nerve cells regenerate there are some techniques which can be adopted that will help alleviate the pain of fibromyalgia and prevent further damage. Here are the strategies incorporated in the action plan to treat and possibly reverse fibromyalgia:
Manage the sleep issue
Sleeping disorders are one of the most frequently complained symptoms which are devastating and incapacitating and disrupt the balance of a person’s existence. Aching experienced in the muscles prevents the individual from enjoying restful slumber and disruption in the pattern of sleep intercedes with the production of the growth hormone which is prerequisite for healthy bones. Sleeping disorder has a direct correlation to the manifestation of other fibro symptoms; therefore addressing the issue of slumber can help in restoring health and vigor, bolster immunity and rid the body free from depression. Here are some of the guidelines which can be implemented to regulate normal sleep.
- Exercise not only purges the body free from depression and stress and uplifts the mood, but it also rejuvenates the body, pumping it of energy and stamina, bolsters immunity and helps the individual fall into deep slumber more easily.
- Diminish the caffeine and alcohol intake because these induce wakefulness.
- Before bedtime, practicing relaxation techniques and breathing exercises, taking a hot warm bath, and reading an enjoyable book will prepare the mind and body for peaceful slumber. It is also recommended to follow a regular schedule.
- Sleeping in a comfortable, noise free room and taking sleeping herbal remedies or sleep medications has also been proven to be effective in inducing deep sleep.
Employing nutritional supplements
Healthy and vitality require good and proper nutrition which integrates bioflavonoid, antioxidants and phytonutreints. Antioxidants can counterbalance the damaging action of the free radicals. Researchers assert that fibromyalgia is linked to free radical damage. Dieticians and authorities also believe that today’s diet fails to provide the nutrition that a body needs which is why it has become imperative to ingest nutritional supplements. Some of the essential nutritional supplements that will enhance immunity and help to treat fibromyalgia symptoms are:
Bee pollen: bee pollen is a powerhouse of protein and considered to be an absolute food. It is laden with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins and essential fatty acids. It is especially beneficial for fibro patients since it helps to regulate normal intestinal function, enhance appetite and strengthen the walls of capillaries. It is recommended to buy a high grade of bee pollen which comes in granular form and this can be obtained from any of the health stores. Recommended dose is one teaspoon of granules per day.
Coenzyme Q10: this is one of the most potent antioxidants that improves blood circulation and is used by the muscles for energy purpose and to regulate metabolism. Recommended dosage is 50 mg per day.
Pycogenol (proanthocyanidin): this is an antioxidant that is wheedled out from grape seed or pine bark. It is considered to be a very powerful antioxidant and immune booster. It is said to enhance circulation, improve cell wall permeability, improve metabolism and stimulate a curative effect on the body. Recommended dosage is 50-200 mg.
Selenium and zinc: these minerals are considered to be the most potent of antioxidants which promote the healing process by strengthening immunity. Selenium works in conjunction with vitamin E and helps the body to utilize the oxygen effectively and promotes healing. Zinc helps the body absorb other vitamins, promotes growth and repair of cells and is an imperative portion of many enzymes which are occupied in digestion, energy production and metabolism processes.
Other nutritional supplements that can treat fibro symptoms are
- Evening primrose oil is an important fatty acid that reduces inflammation as so diminishes the intensity of pain.
- Intake of B vitamins can alleviate stress and improve energy.
- Calcium and magnesium have proven to be effective in enhancing muscle function.
- Intramuscular injections of vitamin B12 and magnesium can help to treat the fibro symptoms like insomnia and exhaustion.
- Lipoic acid increases stamina and serves as an energy booster dissipating fatigue.