- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Foods to Battle Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic fatigue syndrome is a complex condition typified by great tiredness which cannot be explained by any underlying medical condition, and does not ameliorate with rest.
The prevalence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is rising globally. Chronic fatigue is manifested in the form of extreme fatigue symptoms and is associated with several causative factors. Fortunately there are some foods and dietary recommendations that can help in the management of extreme fatigue associated with CFS.
Interesting Facts about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- There are different reports about the prevalence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome across the globe. As per estimates from the United States, approximately 1 million people suffer from the disorder and about 80% of these cases remain undiagnosed. Estimates from the United Kingdom indicate that about 250,000 people suffer from the illness.
- CFS is primarily related to a weak and impaired immune and defense system with the key manifestation of constant and unrelenting fatigue and exhaustion along with flu like symptoms.
- Treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome comprises of boosting the immune system by eating the right kinds of foods.
Do You Have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
The condition of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is poorly understood. However a person suffering from the condition is always exhausted, tired and weary.
Cognitive trouble, such as, poor memory, forgetfulness, absentmindedness and low levels of concentration are seen as well. Furthermore, the disorder tends to affect females more than males and is more frequently observed in population above the age of 40 years. CFS is also frequently observed in people who are prone to emotional disturbances, psychological stress, etc
Causes of CFS
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has no precise etiological factor; however, the condition has been linked to certain specific infections.
- Research and clinical studies link CFS to Epstein-Barr virus, whilst some link it to bacterium chlamydia pneumonia.
- Chronic Fatigue is also associated with candidiasis or yeast infection, bronchitis and frequent and recurrent diarrheal conditions.
- Adrenal insufficiency and thyroid disorders are also linked with the condition
- Chronic disease conditions, resulting in immune depression including AIDS, Cancer, Kidney or Liver ailments are noteworthy causes
- Physical and Psychological stress is also linked with the development of CFS
The Clinical Picture of CFS
While the symptomatology is very obvious, there are certain symptoms that are used to identify the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- Fatigue is the chief manifestation with symptoms like weariness and apathy. Fatigue usually begins as a result of an infection, and continues even after it has been successfully treated. Extreme exhaustion sets in after a couple of months, such that, he cannot carry out his every day activities.
- Cognition is impaired with poor memory and absentmindedness being common; concentration and attention span decrease, and you will be vague about everything.
- Depression develops in due course
- Other systemic symptoms include body pain, headache, fever and muscle spasms.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is Typified by Exhaustion and Depression
Foods to manage Extreme Fatigue
The following foods alleviate fatigue, exhaustion and physical stress. They combat tiredness, lethargy and apathy; and support vigor and vitality; almost instantaneously.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has powerful warming; fortifying and stimulating properties; it helps chase away infections, stomach disorders and exhaustion. Cinnamon essential oil is an excellent anti septic, which battles infections; it also allays muscle pain, joint pains and headaches. To a bowl of boiling water add one spoon of pounded cinnamon. Consume this every day, for at least a month.
- Rose Petals: Rose has potent detoxifying properties. It is also an outstanding immune booster. It battles infections and helps reinstate normal bacterial populations after the use of too much antibiotics. The flower acts powerfully on the nervous system and helps deal with depression and melancholia effectively. It uplifts the mood and dispels gloom and obscurity. Boil about 10 to 12 rose petals in a bowl of water; consume daily for about 3 months.
- Vitamin C rich foods: Vitamin C found in limes, lemons, sweet limes, oranges, bell pepper, papayas, mangoes and grapes, is an immune enhancer. Vitamin C boosts the working of the immune system substantially and treats infections effectively. It is a potent free radical destroyer, thus protecting the body from injury. Include one of these foods in to your everyday menu.