Ridiculous Home Remedies for Acne - rubbing a garlic clove on your pimples
Please don't get me wrong, I am not making light of a problem that millions of teenagers are having to deal with. I feel only empathy, I tried some or similar home remedies with little or no results. I can still remember how this problem impacted my life when I was in my teens; that is a long time ago, but some of what I felt then have left it's mark.
I make light of natural remedies for acne only because some sound so off the wall they deserve to be made fun of.
The following are a few natural healing remedies for acne that have been around almost as long as I have, so I guess we could call them ancient remedies. What you need to understand, if these natural home remedies didn’t work well years ago, why still use them. Millions are spent researching new methods for the treatment of acne. In my years of teaching young people I have seen the damage both physically and emotionally that result from acne, and this is only one, the worst in my opinion, that they deal with because of hormonal changes
Ok, lets go to the ridiculous home remedies for acne, at least in my opinion. Some of those reading this may already have tried some of these. I would love to hear your comments as well.
Remedy #1 - Using garlic, both in capsule form or rubbing the actual garlic clove on pimples,
As for taking the capsules, there was the same advice for my dog, but instead pimples it was for a flea problem, but it didn’t help. She’s only 5 pounds, if it wouldn’t work in her system, how is it supposed to work on say a 135 lb teenager.
Rubbing a garlic clove on the pimple. Is the next step washing your face with lemon juice, that’s what is done to remove the smell of garlic on hands? It is hard to understand why anyone that didn’t want garlic on their breath would seriously consider it rubbed on their face.
Remedy #2 - This one I’ve never understood and it has really been around a LONG time. Put cooked oatmeal on your face for 15 to 20 minutes.
· They don’t even say to cool it, I hope those trying it know not to put it on straight from the stove or pimples will be only one of the problems they will be dealing with, a scorched face will be the other.
Remedy #3 – This is a new one for me, apply Head & Shoulders to your face or body.
· Has new research found that dandruff is related to acne? Why else would it be suggested to use Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo or any shampoo one the face. Also if you try this you better put bandages on your eyes, just remember the burning sensation the last time shampoo got in your eyes.
Remedy #4 - Dab a bit of honey directly on a pimple and rinse off after five minutes.
· My dogs would love this one; five minutes they’d have it gone in 1 minute.
· You’d better spray yourself with bug repellent before dabbing the honey, or you will hear buzzing. I know personally a bug can attack in about a second.
Remedy #5 - Mix powdered cinnamon with honey and apply to your pimples, leaving it on overnight.
· This sounds more like what I add to my oatmeal for breakfast, taste yummy, but who wants a sticky mess on their face overnight.
· If you like the smell of holiday potpourri with the aroma of cinnamon, it just might bring pleasant dreams of wonderful holidays, which may help you feel better in the morning as you wipe away the mess of you and your bedclothes.
Remedy #6 - Do you like strawberries, mix crushed leaves with water and put on pimples it can help to reduce the pimple swelling
· Strawberries can be bought in the store and you could remove the leaves, but who knows what chemicals they have sprayed on them. The other solution is a strawberry patch in our backyards and not many are in to that.
Remedy # 7 - Want to zap the pimples, take nutmeg, add milk to make paste apply to pimples for them to go away.
On this one they left out two ingredients, if you add eggs and rum (eggnog), you can drink it instead of wearing it on your face. I can guarantee you will feel a lot happier my afterwards.
Like I said in the beginning I find these quite amusing. In my next hub I intend to cover things not so silly about skin care and other means of dealing with acne.