- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions»
- Skin Diseases & Conditions
3 Natural Remedies to Treat Scalp Psoriasis
Psoriasis is flaking of the skin and can affect any part of the body including the scalp. Fortunately there are a host of home remedies and natural cures that can be effective in the treatment of symptoms of psoriasis.
Psoriasis of Scalp and its Association with Hair Loss
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that is characterized by red, inflamed patches and silver-white scales. Psoriasis of the scalp is a rather common skin ailment, and the treatment for scalp psoriasis ought to be started promptly.
The scalp becomes very dry, and may bleed from time to time. An important clinical feature of scalp psoriasis is intense itching. Short-term hair loss could also develop in individuals with scalp psoriasis.
Nonetheless, there are several cures for scalp psoriasis; one of the most important treatments for psoriasis is eating the right diet and taking certain ‘skin supplements’.
Psoriasis of the Scalp Sets off Balding
Hair Therapy for Psoriasis
Prompt treatment for psoriasis can help decrease the intensity of the symptoms as well as reduce the frequency of flare-ups.
Topical lotions, creams, and shampoos are commonly used to control psoriasis of the scalp. However, always opt for natural products which are not too harsh; chemical applications afford temporary relief only.
Following a regular, good hair and scalp care regimen will help you manage the condition better.
A Hair Mask made up of Avocado and Lime Treats Psoriasis
Aloe Vera Gel Soothes your Scalp
Natural Cures for Psoriasis
Here are some recommended home remedies that can help in the effective treatment and natural management of psoriasis:
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is exceedingly beneficial for psoriasis of the scalp. Ensure that you apply the gel once daily, for best and speedy results. Aloe conditions the scalp, moisturizes it and checks itching. It helps soothes the inflamed, red patches and hastens skin healing.
- Dead Sea salt: This salt nourishes the scalp. For hair and scalp care, opt for products that contain Dead Sea salts; they promise quick improvements.
- Natural hair mask: A natural hair mask can be prepared by blending together 3 spoons of olive oil, 3 spoons of avocado oil, a scoop of yogurt and a generous dollop of honey. Massage in to your scalp and keep for about an hour. Rinse off. Follow this ritual once a week.
Remedies for Healthy Scalp and Hair
Including certain considerations in your diet can help in effectively managing psoriasis. These dietary considerations not only help enhance immunity but also improve skin tone and texture and help in natural cure of psoriasis:
- Flax seed oil: Flax seeds are very important for psoriasis treatment. You may have them either roasted and ground, 3 spoons daily; or in the form of flax seed oil, 1 spoon every day; or a supplement. Flax seeds are packed with essential fatty acids that promote healing and eliminate flare ups.
- Omega 3 fatty acids: This essential fatty acid found in cold water fish is excellent for scalp psoriasis treatment. Salmon, herring and mackerel are loaded with omega 3 fatty acids. These prevent red, angry flare ups and keep the skin looking healthy. You may have a fish oil supplement as an alternative to consuming fish.
- Vitamin A: vitamin A is a skin supplement and a powerful anti oxidant. A 25000 I.U. supplement is recommended daily for 3 months; gradually taper off the dose. It is also recommended that you consult your health care professional before embarking up on long term supplementation.