ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Health»
  • Men's Health & Wellness

IS YOUR SPERM FERTILE ENOUGH?

Updated on July 22, 2016

What are the causes of lower sperm count?

Lower sperm count

When a man is considered as fertile, he should be able to make a woman pregnant. Out of the total men population in the globe, approximately 93% are lucky to be called fertile. The remaining 7% are infertile and the main reason for them to be so is because of the deficiencies found in the semen. In this fast growing world, the drinking and smoking habits of men are taking a toll on their fertility rate.

Are today's young men less fertile than their fathers? Some experts have already raised the alarm over an issue called "sperm crisis" because they believe that sperm counts of men have been constantly decreasing for more than a decade. Just to name a few, the following are some of the contributors to lower sperm count.

1) Maternal Smoking – Smoking during a pregnancy can affect the male child’s reproductive health.

2) Hot Water Bath – Frequent hot water baths increases scrotal temperature, which in turn affects the sperm count.

3) High Fatty Foods – Being used to eating foods with high content of fat also contributes to a lower sperm count.

4) Shampoos – Phthalates in plastic bottles and endocrine-disruptors can lower sperm count.

5) Sedentary job – Sitting continuously for more than two hours, common with sedentary jobs; has been found to reduce sperm count.

6) Marijuana – Using marijuana at young ages is linked to decreased sperm count.

How to increase sperm count and become Fertile once again!

General precautions:

1) Avoid drinking and smoking

2) If you are fond of undergarments or pants, that are too tight, then the possibility of low sperm count is imminent. Immediately change to loose clothing, since low sperm count is caused due to the excess heat your testicles experience.

3) Furthermore, if you are frequently visiting sauna, then, think over again, too much heat may be a reason for your low sperm count.

4) Likewise, keeping your laptop/notebook over your lap and working for long time increases scrotal temperatures, thereby, lowering the number of sperm cells.

5) Do not drink more than 2-3 cups of coffee per day – stay under 200-250 milligrams of caffeine daily. Intake above that level is a sperm foe.

Food is Medicine” is an old term originally coined by Hippocrates. Good nutrition is the foundation for your good health. A good mixture of foods containing Vitamins and minerals are required to have a good sperm count. They include: Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Folic Acid, Vitamin E, Zinc, Vitamin B-12, Selenium, Omega Fatty Acids, etc.

Foods necessary to increase sperm count

Pomegranates:

Because of their high contents of polyunsaturated fats (PUFA), sperms are susceptible to damage. Pomegranate has high antioxidant content that helps to neutralize the DNA and cellular damaging effects of free radicals. Also, they contain high contents of Vitamin C, have antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. Since old days, pomegranates have been used for various remedies. To benefit in the best way from them, get fresh pomegranates, and then juice them. Try to avoid the packed juice varieties since they will cause more damage than good to your body.

Oysters:

Zink has a role of ‘activating’ sperms and also involved in the production of sperms. That is the main reason these slimy little creatures are also known as aphrodisiacs. Zinc content in sufficient quantity helps in increased production of testosterone and sperm— both baby-making key ingredients. It is also present in meals that constitute eggs, beef, poultry, whole grains, nuts, dairy, and beans. Though, the quantity from these cannot match with the quantities we get from oysters. Once your body has good zinc content, then the “little swimmers” are healthy and ready to make a woman pregnant.

Blueberries & Raspberries

Unavailability of antioxidants in our bodies is found to be a fundamental cause of male infertility. Deficiency of the antioxidants causes DNA damage, reduce sperm motility, and in turn render the sperm dysfunctional. Blueberries and Raspberries are rich in antioxidants (anthocyanins), which protect the sperm from oxidative stress and also contain magnesium; which is involved in the production of testosterone. This also relaxes your blood vessels, which consequently increases the flow of blood to the genitals. Thereby, it increases sexual functionality.


Which of the following will not affect your sperm count

See results

Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.

    working