Do you feel very thirsty? Do you feel any itching feeling on your hands and numbness on your feet? It's high time that you check your blood sugar level at the earliest. It is strongly recommend everybody who are prone to diabetes must tackle it and keep it under control.
Diabetes Mellitus or in short Diabetes is an incurable disease combined with high levels of sugar in the blood for over a longer duration. Reduction in the production of insulin which is produced by the pancreas curtails blood glucose.
Causes of Type 2 diabetes:
- Physical Inactivity
- Sedantry life style
Some of the risk factors of Type 2 diabetes are as follows:
- Family History: Risk rises when your parents or relatives have Type 2 diabetes
- Race: Select races like blacks, Hispanics, American-Indians and Asian-Americans have higher chances of developing Type 2 diabetes.
- Age: A person after the age of 45 are more likely to have Type 2 diabetes due to overweight, physical inactivity etc...
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: Is a stage where too much hair growth and obesity increases the Type 2 diabetes.
- Increase in Urine Output
- More Hungry
- Feeling more thirsty
- Blurred Vision
- Dry Skin
- Numbness on your hands or feet
- Itching sensation
Types of Diabetes: There are mainly three types of diabetes:
- Type 1 Diabetes: Earlier known as Juvenile diabetes. This is commonly found in young adults, teenagers and children. Body's immune system is completely ravaged wherein the beta cells of the pancreas becomes incapable of producing insulin.
- Type 2 Diabetes: Earlier known as adult-onset diabetes . Around 90-95% of people in the world are prone to this type of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can be quite often be seen in the old age groups. Main factors behind the source of Type 2 diabetes is overweight where muscles, liver and fat cells does not utilize insulin properly which in turn body requires more insulin to help glucose enter cells to produce energy
- Gestational Diabetes: This is found only during pregnancy period. There will be a rise in amount of insulin while the hormones are developed which is used to regulate blood glucose levels. When the body can't comply with amount of insulin needed, pregnant women may suffer from gestational diabetes.But this type of diabetes is short-lived. It soon comes to an end after a baby is born. But this type of diabetes can be a threat to babies born to mothers who had gestational diabetes. They may develop obesity and Type 2 diabetes as they grow up
Prediabetes occurs when the blood sugar levels are much higher than the normal. People who are suffering from prediabetes have increased chances of developing type 2 diabetes, strokes and heart disease.
There are mainly three types of tests that is used for diagnosing Diabetes and Prediabetes:
- A1C Test : also referred as hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c, or glycohemoglobin test: A1C Test is mainly used to unmask Type 2 diabetes and Prediabetes. But it is not suggested for Type 1 diabetes or gestational diabetes. This test usually projects a person's blood glucose levels for the past three months. It does not require any fasting and it can be executed at any time.
- 2. Fasting plasma glucose (FPG) test : FPG test is used to diagnose diabetes and prediabetes. It is very convenient and less expensive. FPG test is used to determine blood glucose in a person who have fasted for at least eight hours and it is safer when provided during morning.
- 3. Oral Glucose Tolerance Test : The OGTT is used to diagnose diabetes, prediabetes and gestational diabetes. OGTT IS more precarious when compared to FPG test because it is less condusive to execute. It determines a person's blood glucose level who have fasted for at least eight hours or two hours, but he must have consumed 75 grams of glucose dissolved in water in order to diagnose it.
Apart from the above mentioned three tests, there is another blood test known as Random Plasma Glucose Test or in short RPG test. RPG test can be used to diagnose diabetes during a regular health checkup.
Diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes:
OGTT is the most reliable test that is used to diagnose Gestational Diabetes. Pregnant Women during their first visit to the hospital are highly recommended to take an OGTT.
Treatment of Diabetes:
Controlling Type 2 diabetes can be done in the following manner:
· Eating healthy food such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains
· Regular exercise
· Self-medication and Insulin Therapy
· Monitor your blood sugar frequently
· Eating small amounts of animal products, refined carbohydrates etc..
· Low glycemic index foods
Prevention of Diabetes:
Below mentioned are some of the best ways to arrest Type 2 diabetes:
· Dine foods which are lower in fat and calories and rich in fiber.
· Target fruits, vegetables and whole grains
· Reduce excess weight
· Good Dental Hygiene
· Quit Smoking
· Avoid stress
· Control your anger
· Taking care of your feet
Replace White rice with pre-germinated Brown rice and fiber to reduce Obesity and Diabetes:
Consuming Pre-germinated brown rice which is rich in fiber and nutrients instead of White rice can help in preventing and controlling diabetes. It can significantly bring down glucose levels by 20% and lower serum insulin by 60%. These findings were reported by V.Mohan, MD, FRCP, PhD from the Madras Diabetes Research Foundation.
How to prepare Pre-germinated rice?
Soak the rice in warm water overnight before cooking which in turn stimulates the rice to germinate producing tiny shoots that are invisible, and adding fiber through beans prevents the blood sugar spikes caused by white rice.