- Nutritional Vitamins & Supplements
The Health Benefits of Vitamin C
Vitamin C is one of the most widely known vitamins and for good reason! The health benefits of vitamin c have been known for a long long time now and here is some more information that attests to that.
- Vitamin C is necessary in the manufacturing and maintenance of collagen, which is a major protein of the connective tissue in our bodies that strengthens skin and blood vessels.
- It is thought that it could play a role in alleviating atherosclerosis and hypertension.
- It is an antioxidant, this means it helps reduce the activity of free radicals which can do harm to cells and play a part in aging, degeneration, and even cancer. It's not really a surprise that vitamin C is now being used as a cancer treatment in some places,sometimes in very large doses given intravenously.
- It plays a part in the activity of the cells of the immune system, such as white blood cells, various proteins, and interferons.
- It helps with the process of detoxification, which happens in various tissues and organs like the liver.
- Consuming vitamin C supplements can increase absorption rates of iron from the gut.
- Human bodies are unable to manufacture their own vitamin c, therefore we must get it regularly from the fruit and vegetables we eat . Most other animals are able to make their own vitamin c, but not us humans! The minimum recommended amount of vitamin c per day is 60mg. Bear in mind this is the minimum recommended amount to avoid getting scurvy, not a minimum amount in general. It is in fact very safe to take higher doses, as any excess the body doesnt need is simple exctreted in the urine.In fact there has been many individuals claiming huge health benefits from intaking much larger amounts of vitamin c on a regular basis. Many studies have also made such claims. Its worth reading some of these as they have some very positive claims.
- Vitamin C, also know as ascorbic acid, was first discovered in 1928. We've come a long way since those days and now vitamin c is available in many forms such as pills, capsules etc as well as being added in many drinks and foods.
- It has been shown through research, that natural and synthetic ascorbic acid are exactly the same chemically. There are no known differences in their biological makeup or effects, this has been shown in several studies.
- C for yourself
A very detailed website about the benefits of Vitamin C, including high doses of it.