- Exercise & Fitness
The Value of Keeping Your Personal Yoga Journal
Keeping a Yoga Journal
Even before weblogs (more commonly known as blogs) or online journals were innovated, there existed diaries. These are writing materials wherein someone can share details of personal experiences. The same concept applies with yoga journal and you can learn about the differences for each one below.
This one is going to be a more dedicated account into your yogic journey, recording not just technical aspects of your routine, but detailing your personal insights into the practice. The objective behind this is to provide more avenues for you to expand on your practice of yoga to meet individual goals.
How to Write a Journal
Libby Gill: Benefits of Journal-Writing (PeopleJam Experts)
What To Write About?
The next important thing to learn is what you need to write down into your yoga journal. You need to focus on experience concerning yoga and everything else will follow. In fact, you could examine your experience of yoga on a core level, such as the poses and the breathing techniques involved. But do not limit yourself to the surface and allow yourself to eventually dig deeper into the spiritual and mental aspect of the practice. Your yoga journal is basically a physical representation of your own yoga journey, starting from the outside and slowly moving in towards the inside.
Tips For Beginners
The process of starting your own yoga journal is fairly simple. You can make it whether you are enrolled in a yoga class guided with a professional yoga instructor, or you are doing it yourself at home. With the latter case, keeping a yoga journal is of utmost importance. This is your only method of tracking progress and identifying possible areas of improvement.
To start making your own journal now, here are some tips to bear in mind:
- The most basic step in making your yoga journal is to decide what writing material you are going to use. Specialized yoga notebooks are available in most yoga supply stores but these can often cost a hefty price tag. So, you can simply settle for any writing material you could find.
- If you are just about to get started with your yoga routine, you can write down different yoga styles you are considering to adapt into your own routine. Evaluate the key concepts for each style and how they make a probable choice for you.
- Once you have started practicing the yoga style you have chosen, take important notes on your journal about specific poses included in your routine. Try to answer a few basic questions so you can get a deeper insight. What are your difficulties while doing certain poses? Have you done anything to make it more efficient? Did your method work?
- Be specific when writing down your notes as possible. After all, each experience is unique for individual yoga practitioners and these minute details will enable you to determine those differences.
- In addition to the objective points of view, you need to add insights into each aspect of your practice, such as which style are you more comfortable with or which ones you felt delivered the results you wanted.
Iyengar DVD Yoga Journal
Why Keep a Yoga Journal?
There are three good reasons why you need to invest on keeping a yoga journal: (1) to track your own progress toward your individual goal, (2) identifying areas that need to be improved, and (3) recording your overall journey to see how you were able to reach your goals.
These reasons provide a whole new significance to your view of yoga. Without these, your practice of yoga lacks meaning.
Take Note of Progress
Success in the practice of yoga is all about your persistence to complete one stage to another until you eventually get that much closer to your goals. The use of a yoga journal enables you to pinpoint exactly what yoga styles you have performed and your progress for each one. Without this record, it would be difficult to identify what else you need to get done towards progression. This is specifically important for anyone doing their own yoga routine at home.
Identifying Possible Sources of Improvement
This is one particular benefit that serious yogis should understand fully. Writing your own yoga journal will enable you to have something to reflect to later on. As you re-read your writings, you are able to take on a third person view so you get to see things at a bigger picture. Without this ability, it is easy to neglect mistakes or lose the ability to even identify them. Once the area of corrections were determined, you can take the necessary course of action to improve on your practice.
Recording Your Journey
This is probably the most deep form of benefit that you can derive from keeping your personal yoga journal. This represents the entirety of your yoga practice. You will need to have both aspects covered above before you can proceed onto this stage. Without the ability to identify areas that need improvement or ability to track your progress, you have no means of recording your yoga journey.
There are a few yogis who keep their own yoga journal but have been unable to maximize its benefits. A few reason for this is their inability to determine what are best to write in their journal and how they can interpret those data to provide substantial improvements. Here are some tips that will help optimize your yoga journal writing skills:
- In addition to making a yoga journal, it is best if you can also set aside your own dream journal. Yoga concerns your mind as equally as it does your body. And the process of dreaming reveals a lot about your subconscious mind that is not raised to your awareness during waking moments since they are shrouded by all other things you might think of, such as work, home, or school.
- Aside from relying on words, you can also make illustrations on your yoga journal if you believe that it will help suffice for your recollection of basic information that is of value to your practice of yoga.
- And lastly, you must never set your yoga journal aside just to collect dust on your drawer. Read it. If you do not read your yoga journal, then you are missing out on the whole point behind making one in the first place.