Tips for a healthier lifestyle
Whether you are a world class athlete competing in the 2012 Olympics or, like me, just looking to live a healthier life style proper nutrition plays a vital role in your overall success. Many of the latest fad diets want you to give up your favorite foods, drink overpriced shakes, and starve your body. This isn’t one of those diets; in fact this isn’t even a diet. The key to any diet is not how much weight you lose or how quickly you lose weight, what does it matter if you lost 50lbs on the latest diet craze if after you stopped using their product you gained 60lbs. The following steps aren’t going to make you lose 50lbs over night, but they will provide you with the tools to alter your life style in such a way that you lose weight, live healthier, and ultimately maintain your ideal weight. While the science behind proper nutrition is complex, these rules make it simple enough for anyone to follow.
1. Love Mother Earth: Processed forms of food contain many contaminates and supplements that can stop your weight loss dead in its tracks. Instead, choose foods that have not been processed such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and high fiber carbs.
2. Be Artistic: Try to eat as many fruits and vegetables that you can with each meal. Choose a wide variety of colors, many vital nutrients are found in the outer parts.
3. If It Has Four Legs Don’t Eat It: Almost every diet or workout routine requires some source of protein. Remember not all proteins are created equal; choose Lean protein such as chicken and other fowl, as red meat is high in protein but also high in unhealthy fats.
4. Fat Is Good: Many diets focus on cutting all the fat in one’s diet, but healthy fats are necessary for dietary success. Try to include the fats found in olive oil, nuts, natural nut butters, seeds, avocado, fish, flaxseed and flaxseed oil. Peanut butter is an easy source of “good” fat.
5. Breakfast Is Vital: Try to eat within 30 minutes of waking up, by doing this you help jump start your metabolism giving you more energy and more fat melting power!
6. Eat More: Try to eat more than three times a day, but eat smaller portions. Throughout the day you should try to eat at least 4-6 meals. Each meal should take place every three hours and should include macronutrients such as carbohydrates, lean protein, and healthy fats.
7. Drink Like A Fish: Dehydration = Poor Performance. Try to drink at least three liters of non-caloric liquids, and at least the equivalent amount of any soft drink. For Example: (1) 20oz Coke equals 20 more ounces of water.
8. Work Smart Not Hard: After you have just almost killed yourself in the gym, help your body out with a post-workout meal or shake that utilizes both carbs and protein immediately after your workout.
9. The 75/25 Rule: Diets fail because people get tired of not enjoying the foods they love, what is life if you can’t enjoy it? Every meal is an opportunity to fuel your body appropriately, so choose the foods that are best for you 75% of the time and enjoy yourself 25% of the time.
10. Sleep Like A Baby: Sleep is vital! Try to get at least eight hours of sleep each night. If this isn’t possible then try to nap whenever possible. The body recovers and repairs best when it is sleeping.