The development of a new tooth is known as Teething. Usually teething occurs when babies are of 3 months and continues till the age of 2 years.
Parents wait anxiously to see the first tooth inside their child’s mouth. However, as the day arrives, the child will go through a tough phase of teething symptoms and the parents will in turn not be able to rejoice as they hoped so.
Some babies may not experience toddler teething symptoms at all. However, pain will be experienced during this phase. Teething symptoms for infants and their intensity vary from one baby to another.
There are some teeth that create more pain than others. For example, the first molar tooth will create more problems for the babies. Since molars have a broad surface area, they will cause a lot of pain and irritation.
Molar teething symptoms in infants
- Drooling: Drooling becomes excessive and more than normal once the baby crosses the age of about 3 to 4months.
- Irritability in the gums: The gums which are sensitive in nature will force the babies into biting, sucking eventually turning the gums to get swollen and reddened.
- Coughing: The extra saliva formed due to constant drooling can cause the coughing in the baby. There is nothing to worry about until the baby shows signs of cold or fever.
- Ear rubbing: Ear rubbing will become regular resulting in the ears turning red.
- Rash development: Development of red skin rash will also take place.
- Loss of appetite: The toddlers will begin to experience an appetite loss. They will start to feel tired frequently
Other ailments: The baby might even go through other serious ailments such as diarrhea and vomiting in some rare cases
Treatment for the teething symptoms can be done by simply massaging the gums with the fingertips. The hands must be thoroughly washed before doing so. The pressure exerted will provide a comfortable feeling. By making the baby chew a clean and cold washcloth for a short period at regular intervals once about every 5 seconds will help the gums feel better. Cold foods like yogurt is most recommended at this stage.
Read more of my healthy articles:
© 2015 TonyYu