Top Self Defense Products for Women
Women: Protect Yourself with a Great Self Defense Product
When you think of self defense products for women, your first thought is probably pepper spray. Not a bad thought, as that is right there in our top three choices.
But what are some other tools women can use to help themselves during an attack? And how do they use them?
Not to worry, we'll explain right here on this page. We'll not only introduce you to our three top self defensive tool choices, we'll give you tips on how to use them to the fullest too.
Of course sometime and somewhere, you just may be in a position where none of these tools are close to hand. So we are going to take a look at some basic tips on how to defend yourself without them as well.
Ready? Women, prepare to defend yourself!
Top 3 Self Defense Products for Women
(Might Not Be What You Expected)
Okay, so you probably already guessed the pepper spray. That one is pretty much a given, as long as you take the time to learn how to use it properly. But our other two choices just might surprise you.
You may be asking yourself, but what about a firearm or a stun gun? Well, the truth of the matter is that most women will hesitate to use a firearm, and that hesitation can put the weapon in the wrong hands.
And a stun gun requires an attacker to be within touching distance...and that is simply unacceptable to us. What if your attacker sees it coming and is just one second faster than you? That's right, you'll be the one on the ground writhing in pain.
Our choices are simple, but extremely effective when used properly. And not to worry, we'll cover that as well.
Safety Cat KeychainCHECK PRICE
Sabre Red Pepper SprayCHECK PRICE
Smith & Wesson Tactical FlashlightCHECK PRICE
Mace VS Pepper Spray
A lot of people ask what the difference is between Mace and Pepper Spray. Well, it's actually very simple.
MACE is a brand name. Under that brand name they have a variety of products. These products can be pepper spray, tear gas, or a combination of both.
Pepper spray is...well...pepper spray. It has an active agent (you guessed it, pepper!) that causes extreme eye pain, irritation, and sometimes even temporary blindness. As you can guess, this can work to a woman's favor in an attack.
There are some things you want to keep in mind when purchasing this type of product though. You'll want to read up on the distance it will travel to the target and how many doses it contains. Remember there may be more than one attacker.
You'll also want to keep size in mind. Do you want a small key chain model? Or a large home invasion one? The gun models are cute, but would you want to be seen carrying it around? Pepper sprays will do you no good if you have to dig for them in your purse, they need to be at hand at all times. So which is right for you?
Mace Pepper Gun (Blue)CHECK PRICE
Sabre Red Pepper SprayCHECK PRICE
Sabre Home Protection Pepper SprayCHECK PRICE
SABRE RED Home & Away Protection KitCHECK PRICE
How to Use Pepper Spray - Pepper Spray Safety Rules
- Try to spray from 3 to 6 feet away. This will give the spray time to mix properly. (And keep your attacker from getting too close too!)
- Don't spray into the wind! Know which way the breeze is blowing and position yourself before you release the spray or you are going to be affected by the blowback.
- Practice drawing your spray before you need it. Don't carry it in your purse. Attacks are fast, so have this on your key chain or in your hand whenever you are vulnerable to attack.
- It should go without saying, but know where the nozzle is pointing at all times. Some women have been known to dose themselves in the fear of the moment.
- If you have to spray an attacker, keep moving until he goes down. If he tries to continue the attack, he will grab for where he last saw you.
Safety Cat Self Defense KeychainCHECK PRICESometimes, an attacker can get the jump on us. If an attacker makes it into your personal space, this nifty little keychain can make a big difference.
The idea is to carry the keychain with your fingers through the eyes of the cat. It is designed to be a comfortable fit and carry. If attacked, it is a simple matter to use the points of the cat's ears to defend yourself. And since your fingers are securing the cat to your hand, your foe can't easily take it from you.
Of course, you would only use this in extreme cases. But in a physical attack, anything goes. Bad guys don't follow the rules, so we aren't held back by them either. Go for the soft and fleshy parts of the body: eyes and throat come immediately to mind.
More Self Defense Keychains
Dogs as well as Cats!
If you like the thought of a keychain defense tool, but want to express your own personal style, there's good news. Here are more great keychains to choose from!
Brutus Bull Dog KeychainCHECK PRICE
Black Cat Protection KeychainCHECK PRICE
Black Skull Fang KeychainCHECK PRICE
Women's Self Defense Tips on YouTube
No matter what you may have been told, you are never defenseless. Even if you don't happen to have any weapons or defense products on you. There are things you always have with you that you can put to use when under attack. Things like your elbows, knees, and brain.
When it comes to defending yourself from an attacker, knowing how to break a hold is vitally important. If an attacker has got a hold on you, what do you do? Well, there are a variety of holds that can happen. Luckily there are ways to combat each one. Here are some videos that show you great techniques to learn and take to heart.
Self Defense Flashlight
When you hear the term self defense flashlight, you probably immediately think of those long and heavy police flashlights that are literal weapons in and of themselves. Well, that isn't what we are talking about here.
These are small, hand-held flashlights that pack a little extra punch. Okay, so maybe they pack a lot of extra punch. How do you use these for personal protection?
Two ways. One: on the strongest setting each of the following two flashlights will produce light that can actually be seen by aircraft flying way overhead. Think for a moment what that bright of a light would do to someone's vision if they were standing mere feet away. Yup. It would blind them...and give you a very good head start in your escape.
Two: These flashlights are more than just lights. They are also a hand-held defense tool. Take a really close look at the front edge of these flashlights. Those beveled edges can become a fantastic weapon in a close-up fight.
Halo 290 Lumen Rechargeable Tactical FlashlightCHECK PRICE
310 Lumen Tactical Flashlight w/ Smith & Wesson LED Clip LightCHECK PRICE
Don't be a Victim! - Be a Tough Target Instead
These defense tools can help you if you come under attack. But the best scenario is to never become the bad guy's target. How do we go about that? How do we make sure they don't choose us?
Crooks are going to go for the easy score. They are looking for someone they can dominate, intimidate, and control. Think of a hunting wolf--they look for those separated from the herd, alone, weak, and vulnerable.
So don't be these things! There are five points to being a tough target. Each one is important. Memorize them and use them.
- Be a Tough Target: Don't duck your head when walking. That's a sign of submission that these crooks will hone in on. Walk with your head high and a purposeful step. Don't show weakness. You are stronger than you think, so show it!
- Have a Plan and Keep It Simple: Crime happens fast. Plan your counter attack now while you have time to think. Will you scream? Or just run like heck? Do you have any self defense moves? My plan is short, simple and sweet: Scream and run if I can. Fight if I can't.
- Deny Privacy: Don't get in the car, don't go down the alley, don't go! Sit down and grab onto something. Never go with the offender no matter what he promises you! Here is shocking news: they will lie. If he is willing to kill you for not going with him, he's already planning to kill you later anyway. Just think of all the unpleasantness you'll miss in between.
- Attract Attention: Yell "Fire, Fire!" at the top of your lungs and run. Don't be embarrassed or think of yourself as a coward, either. This is your life we are talking about.
- Take Action: If you can run, then run. If you can't run, fight. How do you know when it's safe to run? When you have a chance to outrun your attacker and get to safety. If safety is too far away and the attacker is too close, you may be better off to stay and fight. Show assertive behavior and resist. Resistance might not insure that the attack isn't carried out, but non-resistance is a good bet it will be.
In Case We Missed Something...
Personal protection and self defense is something we are very passionate about. Hopefully this page has offered you help and suggestions on how to keep yourself safe...or at least safer than before.
We realize that there are more ways and tools to protect yourself than we can cover in one short web page. If we haven't covered the defense product you were looking for, here is an Amazon search to help you find it.
I've went with the pepper spray and key chain in the past, but one of these great flashlights is now on my radar for an upcoming purchase. How about you? What self defense tools do you own?