12 Free Christmas Gifts for Family and Friends
Give Of Yourself This Christmas
Christmas is a time for giving to others. We carefully choose gifts that will be welcomed, wanted and appreciated. We spend more than we should and even go into debt. We need to stop and think about how we can give without spending money. Gifts of service require no money, bring contentment to the giver and will keep you out of debt this year.
“You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” - Kahil Gibran
The best and most precious gift to give during the Christmas season and throughout the year is to give of yourself to others. Buying material things is not the only way to give a gift. Share some time and a few of your blessings and talents with those who cannot pay you back. You will find joy and peace beyond understanding.
You don’t have to go into debt, just share what you have, no matter how little it may seem to you. Nothing makes you feel more positive about yourself than giving of yourself to others. And when you truly, sincerely feel positive about yourself, you can achieve magnificent things.
I've listed 12 simple ways to give of yourself. With a little imagination, you will be able to add to the list and will bring more joy to others and to yourself.
Clear a Driveway Filled With Snow
Make Your Own Coupons
12 Free Christmas Gifts
- Every young couple with a new baby appreciates some alone time. Offer to give them an evening out or a day to themselves.
- Take a neighbors' dog for a walk, especially if the neighbor is elderly or ill.
- Give a Christmas Card with a home made coupon listing a few small errands to do for the person you are giving the card to.
- Offer to provide transportation for an older person to do grocery shopping, for a doctors appointment, the bank, or hair salon.
- Anyone would appreciate having their weeds pulled and plants watered.
More Useful Ways To Give Freely
- Offer to rake leaves, or mow a lawn.
- Enclose a message of "I will wash your car as my gift to you", inside the Christmas Card
- Offer to make dinner for a family or offer dessert as your gift.
- Set a date to clean a specific room in a home (or the complete house).
- Do a load or two of washing and fold the clothes and put them away.
- Offer to give someone a foot massage, manicure or pedicure.
- Record a beautiful poem or song that you read or sing.
- Give free hugs for the month - I could sure use a gift like that. :-)
- Make a gift card for your child, (a Daddy Date, a Movie with Mom). If you have children, this is a great way to teach them how to give to each other without spending a penny.
An example of a gift might be a promise to clean a room, stay out of a siblings room and knock for permission to enter, picking up toys, clearing the dinner table - the list is endless.
The Joy of Giving To Others
The Benefits Of Serving Others
When we serve others every aspect of our lives can change and take on new meaning. Here are some of the benefits of serving others:
- We gain an amazing feeling of satisfaction.
- We make a difference in society.
- Our children learn how to serve others through our example.
- We develop a feeling of connection to others.
- A feeling of happiness flows through our body and mind.
- Stress and worry decreases.
- We experience a wonderful feeling of being needed.
- Depression is alleviated.
- Endorphins are released in the brain causing us to feel good.
- Volunteering helps the community.
- Improves our health and increases longevity.
- We experience higher self-esteem, psychological well-being, and happiness.
- The more consistent we are with serving others the better the psychological benefits.
A Life Of Service Begins With Childhood
I was taught as a child to give the gift of service. Being blessed with a mature voice my mother provided me with an opportunity to sing and perform for others. At the ripe old age of 3 I would sing endlessly for the elderly living in nursing homes.
I remember the sparks of joy filling my little heart as frowns turned to smiles and laughter. Warm hugs and a few tears taught me that I could bring joy to the less fortunate and the forgotten. Little did I know that I was being prepared for a life of singing as a career.
Teach your children to give gifts of service. Begin to do this when they are young and they will grow to give service to others throughout their lives.
Teach Your Children To Give To Others
Now you have 12 free Christmas gifts to keep you out of debt and make a difference in someone's life while making them feel good. It won't cost you a dime and you will be at peace with your self because you've stayed out of debt and you've given of yourself.
When we give of ourselves, it just takes a little thought and will be treasured and remembered for years to come.
"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light."
"Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible." Charles Dickens
Make this the best Christmas Season ever by providing a service to someone else.
Suggested Reading For Serving Others
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”— Mahatma Ghandi
Giving all year
© 2010 Audrey Hunt