10 Things We Love About Christmas!
Ho Ho Ho, Meeeerry Christmas!
Christmas. Everybody's favourite time of the year (...bar Ebenezer Scrooge and the Grinch!) So what is it we love about Chritmas so much?
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
- Snow! Everybody dreams of having a white christmas to complete that perfect picture of the family snuggled together in front of the fireplace on a cold winter's day. And when that snow comes, you can guarantee the kids'll be jumping on Mum and Dad's bed at 7am with their hats, scarves, gloves and wellies on all ready for a fun-filled snow adventure! Sledging, snow-ball fights, snow angels, snowmen, putting snow down the back of people's trousers when they're not looking...the fun is endless!
2. Presents! Waking up, realising Santa's been, putting on your slippers and your dressing gown, rushing down stairs and seeing that mountain of mysteries waiting to be ripped open has got to be the most exciting part of Christmas Day! But it's not just receiving that's great - watching someone's expression light up as they unwrap your prezzie is the best feeling of all!
3. Christmas Dinner & Everything that Goes with It! Turkey and stuffing, sprouts (yuk!) and yorkshire puddings for us Brits, crackers, corney cracker jokes (usually going something along the lines of, "What's black and white and red all over?...A newspaper!"), paper hats that come out of the crackers along with a puzzle of some sort.
4. Christmas Cake & Christmas Pudding! It's tradition that after Christmas dinner you pour rum over the Christmas pudding, turn off the light, set it alight and watch the flames as it warms the pudding. There used to be a silver sixpence hidden in the middle of the pudding and it was said that it was good luck if you got the slice with the sixpence in it!
5. A Sense of Magic - We know that Santa's on his way and that he'll only come if you're asleep. You put out a mince pie and some milk for Santa and a carrot for Rudolph for when they stop by. We wouldn't want them to get hungry on their travels around the world now, would we? Then in the morning the carrot is gone, the glass is empty and all that's left of the pie is a few crumbs on a plate. Magic.
6. The Whole Family Together - Christmas is time for all the family to get together, and loud and hectic as they might be, they're family and we love them. We share those precious moments together that matter. Even receiving Christmas cards from those old family friends from the distant past helps make our Christmas a happy one.
7. Christmas Trees! The Christmas tree - fake or real, green or white, inside or out - is what sets the mood for Christmas. The twinkly lights make the room feel all cosy and bring a happy feeling to the place!
8. Fairy Lights, Pretty Decorations & Down Right Silly Costumes! I have these outrageous sparkly Penguin earrings that come out once a year at Christmas, so as a family we look a right sight, my Dad with his Santa hat on, my sister with tinsel round her neck, me with my earrings, my Mum with Santa antennae...what a picture! It's all good fun :D
9. "Finally, I can relax!" Of course, Christmas is a holiday, so we get to forget our troubles for a good few days, sit back, relax, eat chocolate (an important part of Christmas - diets don't seem to exist this time of year!) and let out a big sigh of relief.
10. The Cheesy TV! Where would Christmas be without the good old classics like "Home Alone", "White Christmas" and "Santa Clause the Movie"?! You've gotta love 'em!
* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
You might be able to think of more great things you love about Christmas - if so, I'd love to hear about them! Hope you have a great Christmas and a happy New Year!!
By Daniella Wood