- Holidays and Celebrations»
- United States Holidays
2 Easy Sweet Potato Recipes
2 Recipes for Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are vegetables you can use to make various types of recipes. Here are 2 easy to make recipes that you can make at home to serve during the holiday season or while sweet potatoes are in season when you want fresh ingredients. Of course, you can also use canned yams to make these two different healthy sweet potato recipes.
So, these two recipes are recipes that our family has been making for years, and years, and years and then maybe even more, and more years. The reason I say this is because I am more than likely convinced that my family and maybe even yours have been using these vegetables to make some really good food, whether they made something salty or something sweet.
A special thank you to chamomile over at Morguefile for photo use.
Things You May Need - ...a saucepan and lid or even a crock pot...
While cooking some sweet potato recipes, you will need a good saucepan and lid or even a crock pot....
Sharing Family Memories
...family get-together and rooting plants...
I remember as a child going to visit some of our kinfolk. They happen to have a root cellar where they kept their sweet potatoes. It was a small square hole dug out with a little tin roof on top. We would have to crawl down into the root cellar and hand up sweet potatoes to cook with the rest of the meal. They were always so good no matter how they were prepared for eating.
They are a great addition to any Thanksgiving dinner. However, you can make them in so many different ways that it is a good idea to try them in various types of dishes and even desserts. For instance, pumpkin pie is a traditional fall time holiday dessert; however I much rather prefer a pie made with sweet potatoes instead, since they are so delicious. The meat is smoother than that of pumpkin. I think that might be one of the reasons I prefer them much more than pumpkin.
Maybe, all you know about these delicious types of vegetables is that you like the way they taste, and they are good. Nevertheless, do you know that you can take a sweet potato and place it in a large glass of water, and it will or should grow some vines? The leaves on this plant are beautiful. I like growing one in a glass from time to time by the windowsill. I love to watch as the vines grow full of beautiful leaves and trail along as i set them too.
If you've never rooted a sweet potato in a glass of water, you might like to give it a try.
This is one of our family favorite recipes. Mom and grandmother have been making this dish for our family for some time now, and we thought you might like to give it a try too. It is easy to make and if you and your family love these types of veggies, you may find that it becomes one of your own favorite recipes to make at home.
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Total Time: about 35 to 45 minutes or until done...
Serves: about 6
- 3 medium sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/4 stick soft butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Set the butter or margarine out onto the counter to soften about 20 minutes before preparation time.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes or yams into small cubes or quarters.
- Mix together the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes or yams into a saucepan over a medium heat setting.
- Sprinkle with the sweet dry herb mixture.
- Cover with lid and then cook on medium until the liquid forms into a syrup consistency.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Sharing our Family Favorite Recipes
Here you will learn how to make old-fashioned candied sweet potatoes or candied yams. You will also learn how to make a sweet potato casserole recipe. These are a couple of our family favorite recipes that we enjoy each year as fall recipes or Thanksgiving recipes.
We are sharing them with you now, so you can make these 2 recipes for sweet potatoes for you and your family to enjoy. Who knows, they might even become some of your family favorite recipes too.
Of course, there are many other different types of ways you can use these veggies, while making some good wholesome meals or even snacks for your family. We have been eating sweet potatoes for quite some time now, and it seems as if lately the rest of the world has discovered just how delicious they are.
Well, I've shared these two family favorite recipes with you. They are original recipes copied from yellowed papers and index cards. I had hoped to be able to present them to you. However, for some reason it seems that no matter how much content I add to this particular lens that it still begs for more.
i have no other sweet potato recipes to share with you here. I've told you my personal family memory stories in my best storytelling way in this lens, article or post. I have clicked publish many times and can only hope now that there is enough information and content to satisfy something that has begged for more and more. So, here it goes. Let us see if now you can see these delicious recipes to make for your only family for Thanksgiving or just about any time you can get your hands on some sweet potatoes.
Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe - ...baked yams recipe...
This is a tasty fall recipe for sweet potatoes you can make while using baked sweet potatoes that are left over from a previous meal. You can also make it while, using some canned yams.
Total Time: about 40 minutes
- 5 or 6 large baked sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 cup plumped raisins or pineapple with juice
- 2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon apple pie spice or 1/2 tablespoon each cinnamon and nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 3 or 4 Tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- Allow raisins to plump by soaking them in water for about 30 to 40 minutes before preparation time. If you choose to use pineapple instead, you should drain the pineapple while reserving the juice. Set aside until needed.
- Preheated oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish by lightly coating it with cooking spray. Set aside until needed.
- Peel and then mash 5 or 6 baked sweet potatoes or yams. You might also choose to use a large can of yams, if so drain well and then mash. Set aside until needed.
- Stir the pineapple or plumped raisins into the mashed yams or sweet potatoes until well combined.
- After mashing the sweet potatoes or yams, you will stir in the pineapple juice if you are using pineapple in this recipe.
- Melt the butter or margarine and then add to the mixture. Stir in the packed brown sugar. Mix well. Stir in the chopped walnuts or pecans. Mix well.
- Spoon this mixture into the prepare casserole dish and bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on the mini marshmallows. Return to hot oven to bake for about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes before serving.