- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
20 Special Things To Do For Mothers' Day or Her Birthday
It's time again to acknowledge the incredible persons who gave life to us! Mother's Day is already fast-approaching, and it's time to get busy preparing for a mini-surprise for your mom! Here are 20 suggestions and ideas that you could do to show how much you care for her!
Celebrating Mothers' Day
Mothers' Day only comes once every year, so we must get the best out of it by showing to our mothers how much they mean to us.
To tell you the truth, I made this hub because I was so inspired by the video I watched about a mother's love to her blind child (the one the right). Truly, her story touched and warmed my heart. It is difficult to see a mother so patient and so brave. Thereby, I salute this super mom!
Anyway, here are 20 things we can do this Mothers' Day to show our mothers how much we appreciate and care for them (of course, you may also do these during her birthday - it is equally as special):
Looking for some ideas for your dad instead?
Check out this article: 20 Cool Things to Do for Father's Day or His Birthday
Other Gift Ideas
You may also give as simple as flowers for your mother as a gift! She will definitely appreciate it just like every girl does.
Are you in good terms with your mom?
Flowers never fails to show your love
Twenty Things to Do for Mom
These are my personal suggestions and ideas. I've already tried several of them. However, note that you don't need to do every single item listed here; you may only choose some of these. But, if you can, why not, right? I'm sure your mother would appreciate all the efforts very much.
1. Greet her with sincerity - simple as that, all you need to do is to make it very sincere. Mothers appreciate even the simplest things on Earth as long as it comes from you (sincerely and genuinely).
2. Give her a greeting card - no matter how cliché this may be, giving moms a greeting card will surely make them smile. It is even better if you will be the one to craft your own from start to finish. Every effort will be all worth it!
3. Give her a mother's "report card" - humor your mother by giving her a report card showing that she got A's in loving you, cooking the food, gardening etc. She would wish it was your card, but she will definitely love the idea!
4. Give her flowers - almost every girl appreciates flower because the act of giving a bouquet itself is so sweet. You can show your love to your mom by giving her flowers that match her personality. Or, if you know your mom's favorite, give her that instead.
5. Write a song for her - you don't need to be an expert song writer to do this, just scribble some words from your heart and create a tune for it. Your mother will surely appreciate all the effort. And you'll make your mother proud!
6. Sing her a song - this works well with number 5 but if you weren't able to write any, try singing your mother's favorite song. You may sing "A Song for Mama" by Boyz II Men.
7. Do the household chores for her - mothers do get tired with all the work around the house. So why not ease it up by doing some chores for her? She will definitely appreciate it!
8. Cook for her - mothers usually are the ones who cook for us. Why not make it the other way around for this special day? Cook her a very unique yet delicious meal or perhaps her favorite dish. She'll be definitely be full (of happiness).
9. Treat her to a fancy restaurant - if you don't know how to cook, you may opt to treat her to a fancy restaurant. She would definitely like to try out something new. Oh, be sure to make some reservations for this!
10. Give her a lovely cake - be it Mother's Day or a simple birthday celebration, giving her a cake would mean a lot to her - a lovely cake for your love mom. You'll be able to show her your sweetness with this! It will be much better if you will be the one to bake it yourself, and no matter how sloppy it may look, she will definitely thank you for it!
Cake never fails as a simple surprise gift!
11. Write her a poem - a poem dedicated to your mother will surely make your mom feel so special. Say how much you love her through a beautiful poem, and she will be the happiest mom on earth!
12. Create a video for her - surprise your mom with a video! You may either dance, sing or do anything she would appreciate. Also, include a part where you dedicate a message to her.
13. Reminisce your childhood memory with her - ask your mom to browse some baby pictures of you together. Having you is one of the unforgettable moment your mother had, so definitely she will love to do this as she reminisce the past.
14. Buy the things under her wishlist - if you have some extra cash to spend, why not buy her things under her wishlist? Since these things are in her wishlist, she is truly longing for these items. Giving these as gifts will surely brighten up your mom's day.
15. Buy her a book from her favorite author - buying a book from your mother's favorite author would mean a lot to her. Not only does it mean you acknowledge Mothers' Day, but it also means you know her very well. With this, she will definitely be happy!
16. Tell how much you love your mother in public - okay, so this may be difficult to do, but think of the things she endured for you. Saying to your mom you love her in public will mean that you really love her and that you are proud that she is your mom. Here's an alternative, tweet or post in Facebook how much you love her and tag her. This way, you are, as if, saying "I love you" to her in public.
17. Teach her a new dance - let your mom enjoy the fad! Teach her how to Dougie, or to do the Gangnam Style, and you will make that day unforgettable for her! Also, you'll make her appreciate things we love today! It's like providing your mom with the latest updates!
18. Spend a day with her - spend a day with her, and she will treasure the moment - no cash spending required, just your presence. For her, this would mean a LOT! You will let her feel how important she is to you! A lot of us are forgetting about this, that the best gift to her is ourselves.
19. Gather the entire family for her - mothers would surely miss other members of the family, so make an effort in bringing all your siblings together and celebrate Mothers' Day! Do that and you are going to face the happiest person in the world!
20. (Apologize), Give her a warm, tender hug and kiss - if you are not in a very good terms with your mom, this is the time to do it! Reconcile with her, and give her a warm, tender hug and kiss! You do this, and she will never ever forget that day!
Additional Ones Recommended by the Readers
- Put some decorations at home and a "Happy Birthday or Happy Mother's Day" banner while your mom is sleeping or away.
Because mom is not just someone, she’s the one…
The one who carried us for nine months and gave us life
The one who stayed up all night to tend on our needs
The one who nurtured us in giving the best life possible
The one who taught us the 123’s and the ABC’s
But that is not all, she also the one…
The one who kisses our pain away when we are bruised
The one who accepts us even when we go against the rules
The one who forgives us even when we make mistakes
And the one who loves us even when we fail a lot of times
So what I really want to say is that,
God is so good to give me a mom like you
And I feel so much loved to be your daughter/son
A Poem for Mothers
Mom is an overused word
You need something, you call on mom
You lost something, you call on mom
You want something, you call on mom
You misplaced something, you call on mom
But that’s not the end,
You can’t cook your food, you call on mom
You can’t iron your clothes, you call on mom
You can’t make your bed, you call on mom
You can’t fix your things, you call on mom
But mom is not just a word – it’s more than that.
She is a wonderful being created by God
She is a loving, caring, and selfless woman
Yet she is also strong, enduring, and forgiving
Mom is the epitome of unconditional love
(continued on the right)
I hope you were able to enjoy all these things I listed. Share your mother's reaction here, and I'll be happy to read them!
To every mom, (advance) Happy Mothers' Day, and may you enjoy this day especially made for you!
To my mom, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! Thanks for everything, and you're the best!
More from the Author
- 10 Tips on How You Can Save Yourself From Disappointment - an article on how to avoid disappointment in living a happier and more fulfilled life.