40th Anniversary Wishes, Quotes, and Poems for Cards
What to Write in a 40th Anniversary Card
At 40 years, it gets difficult to imagine life without the other person. It hurts to think about if one of you died before the other, and the loss would be great. Fortunately, a 40th anniversary is a time of celebration and recognition. It's a time to acknowledge the past and look forward to the future.
Whether you are writing an anniversary message to your own spouse or to friends who are reaching this milestone, you'll find the inspiration you need. Below are examples of what to write in a 40th anniversary card. Since 40 is the ruby anniversary, consider writing your message in a ruby colored ink.
40th Anniversary Messages for Your Wife or Husband
- I'm glad that we have been able to grow older together over that last 40 years.
- The only thing sad about being married to you for 40 years is the fact that we can't live together forever. I know that we'll get to be together in heaven though.
- Forty years seems like 40 days when you're with your best friend!
- I can't believe it has been 40 years and I still feel like a newlywed with you.
- I suggest we celebrate our 40 years together by doing what we like to do best, by spending time with each other.
- Thank you for 40 years of commitment despite my faults.
- I thought I loved you as much as I possibly could at 30 years, but I'm finding that I'm more attracted to you with each decade that passes.
- We have grown together so much over the last 40 years that I can't imagine life without you.
- We've had 40 years to learn all the imperfections in each other, but we've also had 40 years to become more patient with each other.
Quotes for 40th Anniversary Cards
Quotes about being married for 40 years are difficult to find, but these are quotes about being in a long marriage. Use one of these when you want to add wit or wisdom to your anniversary message.
- “Being in a long marriage is a little bit like that nice cup of coffee every morning – I might have it every day, but I still enjoy it.” -Stephen Gaines
- “One day, in your search for happiness, you discover a partner by your side, and you realize that your happiness has come to help you search.” -Robert Brault
- “If you live to be 100, I hope to be 100 minus 1 day, So I never have to live without you.” -Winnie the Pooh
- “Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story.” -Jennifer Smith
- "You never know anyone until you marry them." Eleanor Roosevelt
- “The older I get, the less time I want to spend with the part of the human race that didn’t marry me.” -Robert Brault
- “The bonds of matrimony are like any other bonds – they mature slowly.” -Peter De Vries
- "40 years of marriage is long enough to know whether you should have even gotten married, but it's too long to do anything about it." -Blake Flannery
- "If 40 years of marriage to one person isn't enough, then maybe it's time to try bigamy." -Blake Flannery
- "After 40 years of marriage, you can even anticipate when your spouse will surprise you." -Blake Flannery
Anniversary Quote Graphics
40th Anniversary Poems
Four decades later, we are still in love
And we still fit each other like a glove
Today is an opportunity and a blessing
And at forty years, we're still progressing
"The Time Really Flies"
Each time I look in your eyes
I feel like I won a great prize
We have grown old and wise
And we learned to compromise
Forty years we've been allies
With you, the time really flies
40th Anniversary Wishes for Family and Friends
When you have friends or family who are celebrating their 40th anniversary, it's a nice gesture to send them a card congratulating them. Here are some ideas for what to write to them on their special occasion.
- Who would have thought on your wedding day that 40 years later you'd be getting a card from me congratulating you on such a long marriage?
- I can think of at least 40 reasons you are an inspiration to the younger couples who know you.
- Your marriage is over the hill now that it's 40. Just make sure you don't have a mid-marriage crisis.
- At this point, one year is only 1/40th the total time you've been married. Your next year together is only a sliver of your marriage, but we hope it's a sweet one.
- After 40 years, what advice could I give you? You could teach a class on marriage.
- We hope your 40th is even better than your 39th!
- Marriage starts at 40 years.
- Your marriage is older than people who are in their 30s. Does that mean you got married as babies? You don't look that old.
- You've made it to 4 decades, and now you're only one more away from half a century. We hope the next decade is full of great times!