3 Ways to Celebrate Mother’s Day on a Budget
Free Woman of Color with Daughter in New Orleans
When Is Mother's Day around the World?
Mothers are celebrated throughout the world, but on different dates. Flowers, though, seem to be the top gift of choice for Moms the world over.
Antwerp only: August 15th (also the Catholic Feast of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, Mother of God)
Argentina: third Sunday in October
Azerbaijan, Bulgaria: March 8th (also International Women's Day)
Bahrain, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates: always on May 10th
France, Sweden: last Sunday in May
Lithuania, Portugal, Spain: first Sunday in May
Norway: second Sunday in February
Poland: always on May 26th
Thailand: August 12th (also the Queen's Birthday)
United Kingdom: the fourth Sunday of Lent (which some years occurs in March and other years in April)
Celebrating Mother's Day
In Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Turkey, and the United States, Mother’s Day is always celebrated on the second Sunday of May. It’s a special day that everyone seems to enjoy and, since it is a springtime celebration, flowers usually top the list of Mother’s Day presents. But, while we want to do something special and out-of-the-ordinary for our Mom on this day, it does not have to be something expensive. Here are five no or low-cost ways you can celebrate your Mom, without breaking into your piggy bank (or at least without withdrawing much from it):
- Make your Mom a bouquet of flowers.
- Give your Mom a home mani-pedi.
- Make Mom a pair of fun, flirty flip flops that everyone will admire.
Make Your Mom a Homemade Bouquet of Daisies
How to Make a Craft Foam Daisy Bouquet
This is a quick and easy craft that your kids can even do the evening before Mother's Day (and still be in bed on time!). My daughter created my bouquet on her own, as a surprise to me, on a weekend day when I was busily trying to meet a deadline, leaving the computer only to feed us.
You will need:
- white craft foam (either 5 or 6 pre-cut flower shapes or 1-2 sheets from which to cut out your own flower shapes)
- yellow craft foam (1/4 sheet will be enough)
- 5 or 6 white, green, or brown pipe cleaners
- liquid glue (not a glue stick)
- a pretty vase to put your bouquet in
If you'd like to make your Mom a bouquet of poppies or carnations, simply substitute red craft foam for the white!
- Cut out flower shapes if you are using a craft foam sheet
- Cut the pipe cleaners to the appropriate size for the vase into which you will put them.
- Cut out small yellow circles for the daisy centers.
- Poke the pipe cleaners through the center of your craft foam flowers. Or, ask an adult to cut small holes in the center of each of your flowers, then put the pipe cleaners through.
- Glue a yellow circle onto the top of the pipe cleaner.
- Place them into the vase.
- Present them to your Mom!
A Home Manicure for Mother's Day
Give Your Mom (and Yourself) a Home Mani-Pedi
A home manicure and pedicure is just the right thing with which to pamper your busy Mom. It gives you time to chat together and helps you both relax. If you do not already have nail polish at home, go to the store to choose your colors together before Mother's Day. Then, start with the pedicure. First, soak your feet in a home foot bath and you are good to go!
How to make a home foot bath:
- Run warm water into the bath tub.
- Put some epsom salts or bubble bath into the water.
- Sit side by side on the edge of the tub and soak your feet for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Dry your feet with a warm towel.
- Moisturize your feet with a scented moisturizer or foot cream.
- Cut your toe nails over a paper towel. Then, gather up the cut nails and throw them away.
- Color your toe nails with your favorite color. Be inventive: use two or more colors, one for each toe!
- Allow the polish to dry.
- Once dry, you can use other colors to paint small designs on each toe or on just the big toe nail.
The home manicure:
- Place a small amount of liquid dish washing detergent (not the kind for the dishwasher!) into a small bowl.
- Fill the small bowl about 1/4 full with warm water, allowing the detergent to suds up.
- Place it on a towel, on top of a table or stable surface.
- Place one of Mom's hands into the water.
- While one hand soaks, file the nails on Mom's other hand with an emery board.
- When you are done filing the nails on the dry hand, take Mom's soaking hand out of the bowl, dry it off and switch sides.
- While her other hand soaks, file the nails on Mom's "moisturized" hand.
- When you are done filing that hand, dry Mom's other hand.
- Then, get to work carefully painting Mom's nails! Again, be inventive! There's no law that says that each nail has to be the same color or have the same (or any) design!
- Have Mom do your nails, or paint your own; then, take a picture of your manicures (like the one above)!
A Home Pedicure and Flirty Flip Flops
Flowery Flip Flops for Mother's Day
Fun Flip Flop Craft and Great Gift for Mom's Feet
Another great gift idea for Mom that takes almost no time to make and can cost as little as two dollars (a bag of balloons and a pair of flip flops from your local Dollar Store are all you need) is decorating a pair of flip flops in Mom's size with latex balloons. To make these attractive, flirty sandals and help Mom get into a playful, relaxed summertime mood, just take the balloons (not blown up), stretch them, and tie them around the top of the flip flop. Keep adding until you have covered the entire band (crowd them close together as in the pair of flip flops in the picture above) or make little flowers by bunching the balloons up to make a flower pattern (as in the picture at the right).