- Holidays and Celebrations
50 Group and Family Halloween Costumes
The Ultimate Guide to Group And Family Costumes With Over 50 Ideas!
There is a brief window of opportunity where a parent can not only pick their child's Halloween costume, but also go out trick-or-treating with them as a family. By the time they reach the age of 9 or 10, they want to run ahead with their friends and they would sooner go to school in their underwear than be dressed up in matchy-matchy costumes.
Until that day comes, however, here are 50 really cool, creative and downright awesome group and family Halloween costume ideas. And, when I say that ... I mean they are cute family Halloween costume ideas that even mom and dad won't be embarrassed to wear. The real problem is ... which group costumes will you pick?
1. Flintstones: Your kids may not remember Fred and Wilma, but I sure do. In fact, if you have a little Bam Bam or Pebbles, it would be the perfect idea for a family costume.
2. Seuss on The Loose: I adore Thing 1 and Thing 2. It would be even cuter if you had twins.
3. Mario Brothers: My friend, Erin, dressed her 2 boys up as Mario and Luigi, while her daughter was Princess Peach. Oh. So. Cute.
4. The Circus: One parent can be the ringmaster while the kids all go as either circus animals or as clowns.
5. Brady Bunch: Marcia, Marcia, Marcia .... sorry. I couldn't resist! Well, that plus my #2 daughter has a "Jan Complex", but I digress. This would be a groovy Halloween idea.
6. Angry Birds: I admit it. I am addicted to Angry Birds. In fact, I do not even allow myself to log in or I will be stuck there for hours. Enough said. Moving on.
7. Adams Family: Gomez, Morticia and Wednesday are classic TV meets Halloween costumes at its finest. Buy one, or do it yourself.
8. Yo Gabba Gabba: It was a tragedy for many pre-schoolers when Yo Gabba Gabba was removed from NetFlix, but you can rule mommydom with family costumes of this favorite TV show. It is also a great costume idea for a group of four (4) kids.
9. The Avengers: Why is it that there are so few chicks in SuperHero movies? If you have a family of boys, this would work great, though. Plus, I am sure a few moms could swing the Natasha Romanov look.
10. Wizard of Oz: I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto. This one is super easy to make at home with things you already own. In fact, there are probably a million and one results on Google for making a tin man with aluminum foil.
11. The Zoo: Mom and dad can dress up in khaki as zookeepers, while the kids can have their pick of wild animals, from lions and tigers to flamingos and peacocks.
12. Pirates: A family of pirates with baby dressed up as the parrot!! I tried and tried to convince my kids to do this when my youngest was a newborn, but they were fixated on the whole Disney Princess idea at the time.
13. Super Heroes: More male-dominated superheros. There are plenty to choose from for dad and the boys. Mom can check out Wonder Woman and there are some super cute pink Super Girl Halloween costumes out there.
14. Shrek: Buy green face paint in bulk and you have this look down. If your kids loved the movie, go for it! You could even add the donkey in.
15. Football: Picture it: dad is the star quarterback, mom is the cheerleader and baby is the ... football!! Love it!
16. Hunger Games: If you decided to dress up as characters from Hunger Games, be sure to check out the video below. The mom from cutegirlshairstyes.com re-created the authentic Katniss braid! Now, I am all thumbs when it comes to doing hair, but, I swear, she makes it look easy!
17. Cops & Robbers: Mom and dad can be the cops and junior can dress up in stripes with a ball and chain ... or vice versa.
18. Ghostbusters: This classic from 1984 could make a great group Halloween costume. If you have a baby or toddler, shoot for a Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man costume. In fact, this is perfect for moms who don't like to dress up because they can play Janine Melnitz' character, the secretary with the glasses on the nerdy string.
19. Sesame Street: There are tons of options with this family costume idea. You can all go as the puppets or mom and dad can dress up as one of the "human" characters.
20. Where The Wild Things Are: Such an awesome book and now they have the cutest Max costume, too.
21. The Sound of Music: The Von Trapp family singers anyone? You could even go the authentic route and make the Halloween costumes out of curtains. Or not....
22. Blue Man Group: Don't remember them? It's ok; you can check them out by clicking
23. Phineas and Ferb: We love this show in my house. LOVE IT! The possibilities are endless. Girls can be Vanessa, Candice, Isabella, or even the mom. A quick lab coat and dad can be Dr. Doof. Heck, you could even dress the dog as Perry.
24. Powerpuff Girls: This is our family Halloween costume this year. We have three girls, who all want to be a PowerPuff Girl. My husband is going to be Professor Utonium and I get to be Ms. Bellum.
25. Monsters, Inc.: Another great group costume because the options are only limited by your creativity. Remember that costume that Boo wore? You could also grab some new ideas from Monsters U.
26. The Incredibles: Again, a perfect Halloween costume for a family of four or five (with or without Baby Jack). You could even bump it to six by adding Edna Mode or Syndrome to the mix. FYI: I seriously LOVE Edna!! She is hysterical!!
27. The Kardashians: I will just bite my tongue on suggestions of what to wear here, (think black leather, and leopard prints), but this would be a cute Halloween costume idea for teens. You could even toss in their producer, Ryan Seacrest, or a jilted Kris Humphries. Or, you could even do Kim, Kanye and Baby Northwest! LOL
28. Star Wars: The male ideas for Halloween costumes are plentiful, but, as my daughters have noted, there are not too many female characters. You could do Princess Leia or Padma (in either "street clothes" or dressed as Queen).
29. Harry Potter: We are still a bit young for this series in my house, but the fans are out there. And, of course, it would make for an amazing group costume. Plus, you have such a plethora of costumes to choose from between the students, the instructors, and all.
30. Twilight: This could be a perfect group Halloween costume for teens. Team Edward or Team Jacob?
31. Disney Princesses (and Prince): Like many moms of girls, I have had my share of Disney princess costumes throughout the years, but it never dawned on me that dad could have gone as the prince in Sleeping Beauty. Duh!
32. Hungry?: If you lurk the Halloween costume sites, like I do, you have seen your share of food-related costumes. Why not group them altogether? Pizza, milk cartons and the like would be a cute group Halloween costume idea.
33. Toy Story: Hands down, my favorite kids movie. The possibilities are endless and would work as a Halloween costume for a family of three or twenty-three.
34. Alice in Wonderland: I'm late. I'm late for a very important date! I call dibs on dressing as the Queen of Hearts!
35. Flower Garden: Grab a watering can and some gardening gloves, mom (or dad). The kids can all dress up as cute flowers and maybe a bumblebee costume for the baby!
36. Royal Family: If you have a little princess or two, why not have mom and dad dress up as the king and queen?!
37. Smurfs: With two recent Smurf movies, this is still a popular family Halloween costume. There's only one Smurfette, though.
38. Hot Dog Vendor: The baby hot dog costume to the right is BEYOND adorable. Have mom and dad dress as hot dog vendors (in white shirts with red aprons), transform the stroller into a hot dog cart and have the older kids be ketchup and mustard bottles.
39. Farmer John: Mom and dad can dress up in overalls and the kids can all be farm animals, like a pig, cow or rooster. Think American Gothic meets Halloween!
40. Rock, Paper, Scissors: I ran across this group costume idea by accident, but I. Love. It. It's super easy to make at home, too! Check out the video below for a quick laugh ...
41. Pac Man: I know I am dating myself when I say I stunk at PacMan, but rocked at Centipede. Anywho, what's old is new again, especially in classic video games. A PacMan or Ms. PacMan costume is easy enough to make, or you can buy online as well.
42. Grease/1950's: Grab your poodle skirt and head out to the sock hop. You can even dress up as Danny and Sandy and sing "You're The One That I Want".
43. Crayons: Seriously. I love this. They make crayon costumes in every color and size.
44. The Simpsons: If you are a family of five and you have a built-in Bart, Lisa and Maggie, this family costume idea would be perfect.
45. Teletubbies: My kids were never that excited by Teletubbies, but many kids would love to be Dipsy, Tinky-Winky, Laa-Laa, and Po. You could even have a Sun Baby.
46. Firefighters Family: This would work especially well if you had a dalmatian. Just sayin. You could even decorate the stroller or wagon to look like a firetruck and be the envy of every kid on your block.
47. Blues Clues: Dad can dress up as Steve pretty easily with a striped shirt and khakis, while the kids can be Blue or Magenta. You could even get super creative and make salt and pepper costumes.
48. Bugs: I tried this one with my kids, too -dressing each up as a different bug, ladybug, butterfly, spider etc, while hubby and I dressed in khakis and carried around big butterfly nets. Super cute idea, and I really want someone to send in pictures :)
49. Puppies Little girls love puppies and kittens. You could have everyone dress as dogs or cats and maybe even have a parent as a dogcatcher or veterinarian.
50. Go Bananas: I love this gorilla costume to the right!! You could have the other parent don a giant banana costume and the kids go as little monkeys. Or, mom can be a zoo keeper and the baby can be the banana.