Traditional South Indian recipes associated with Sri Rama Navami | Vadapappu - Panakam
What is vadapappu recipe?
Vadapappu is a preparation obtained by way of soaking split green gram (moong dal) in water for one hour or so and then draining out the water.
In Telugu language, "vadapota" means draining out the liquid from any food stuff. Here, while you are preparing Vadapappu, you are draining out the water from the soaked moong dal. So, it has become drained lentil. Pappu means lentil. Hence, this recipe is named as Vadapappu.
After draining out the water from soaked lentils, you are expected to add salt and other ingredients to the Vadapappu for good taste.
Remember that you should not miss this Vadapappu for Sri Rama Navami celebration. Do the worship of Lord Sri Rama with flowers and by chanting slokas. Thereafter, offer Vadapappu Panakam to Him, obtain His blessings and eat them before engaging yourself into other errands of the day.
What is Panakam?
Panakam is a sweetened water drink. Jaggery is added to water to prepare the "Panakam recipe". It is normally brownish or thick yellow in colour. Jaggery is the product obtained from sugar canes. When jaggery gets refined, it becomes sugar. So, jaggery is the rough version of sugar which is generally very cheap and affordable by the common man. So the peasants and labourers drink Panakam recipe often to revitalise their bodies. It is a poor man's drink.
Vadapappu Panakam can be your mini breakfast menu to experience change
'Vadapappu' and 'Panakam' are mostly prepared on Ram Navami festival day and that too by people in South India. Ram Navami is the day when Lord Rama was born and it is also the day when he got married to Sita. So, to celebrate both these occasions, people used to prepare both these recipes and offer them to God before consuming themselves.
These recipes need not be restricted to Ram Navami Day itself. We can prepare these items on any normal day also by consuming them in lieu of mini breakfast recipes to save time and labour. Enjoy weekly holidays or picnics, preferably during summer seasons, with these Panakam Vadapappu recipes to enjoy variety in life.
I am not telling this to Indians only but it is equally good for people all over the world to have some variety in life by trying rare and peculiar recipes as their mini menus in between full meals.
Vadapappu and Panakam recipes
Very easy to Prepare and at No extra Cost
- It is very simple and easy to prepare these recipes.
- It takes much lesser time and energy in preparation.
- Further, there is no need of cooking at all.
- It involves no extra additional cost at all as the ingredients are very cheap.
Ingredients for Vadapappu
split green gram
grate after removing skin
raw(not dried coconut)
Images of ingredients for vadapappu
Easy step-by-step instructions for preparing Vadapappu
- First, soak the green gram in a bowl of water for 1 hour.
- Take the mango and remove its skin and grate it finely with a grater to collect one tablespoonful of it. Keep the remaining part of mango for using otherwise like cooking your dal recipe or for making chutney.
- Break the coconut and you may collect the water into a cup or let it spill out. If you collect the coconut water, you may drink it or mix it in the "Panakam" drink.
- Grate the coconut till you make 2 tablespoonfuls of it. You can grate the entire coconut if you want to use it otherwise, or you may keep the remaining part in your fridge for 2,3 days and use it later on.
- Slice the green chilly into small, thin and fine pieces.
- Now, you see if the green gram is ready by pressing it with a finger. If it is soft and splits into pieces, then remove the water from it. (It becomes ready sometimes within 40 to 45 minutes).
- After removing the entire water from the green gram, add all the items of grated mango, grated coconut, green chilly pieces and salt into it and mix it well with your hand so that all tastes get mixed thoroughly.
- Now, your "Vadapappu" is ready to serve in tiny bowls or plates.
Ingredients for Panakam
grated/sliced into thin layers
in a jug or any container
25 to 30 seeds
make slightly rough powder
3 or 4 pieces
make powder (with skins)
very small piece
powdered or pasted
Images of ingredients for panakam
Preparation of "Panakam" or "Panagam"
- Take one-litre water in a jug or any container.
- Shave the full jaggery of 150 grams with a knife into thin layers so as to mix quickly in water. You may grate it also instead of shaving.
- Make powder of pepper and cardamom without removing the skin of cardamom in a mortar with pestle. Do not make it more refined powder. The powder of both cardamom and pepper should be a little rough for good taste and look. You may grind it in your mixer/grinder also in the smallest jar.
- Now mix the shaven/grated jaggery and powder of pepper and cardamom(with skins) into the water and mix it thoroughly so that the jaggery dissolves completely in water.
- Now, your Panakam is ready to serve in glasses.
Panakam preparation video
Benefits of Vadapappu and Panakam
- Vadapappu is good for your body's nutrition. It provides some proteins and energy required for your body. You will experience immediate freshness after eating one or two teaspoons of Vadapappu recipe.
- Panakam is very good for summer seasons. It keeps your body cool and fresh and allows you to face the hot summer by drinking a glass of Panakam recipe. It protects your body from heat and thereby you will feel mental freshness also. It protects your body from dehydration and flu.
Give your own touches to Vadapappu and Panakam
- Now, I hope you have been able to follow my guidelines in preparing these special recipes of Vadapappu and Panakam that are popular among South Indian people.
- You can change some of the ingredients according to your likings like increasing the quantities of chillies and salt or any other item like coconut, etc. in the "Vadapappu" recipe and by increasing or adjusting the pepper powder and / or jaggery a little bit in Panakam recipe.
- But one thing you should take care about is not to serve this "Panakam" drink to Diabetes patients as it can do much harm to their health.
- Otherwise, both recipes are very tasty and spicy and give you a good spirit of enjoyment during summer holidays and outings by keeping you energetic and fresh.