Best Christmas Gifts for Guys
Before you can spend the day surrounded by family and friends, telling stories and popping Christmas cookie after Christmas cookie, comes the stressful part of the season. Shopping.
Shopping for Christmas gifts is usually a high-stress activity. What do they want? Will they like this? Can I find it cheaper? Is this the right size?
And, of course, the hardest people to buy for usually end up being the important guys in your life! A woman is easy to shop for - give her chocolate, give her candles, give her slippers. What do you get for a guy?
Read on for some of the best gifts to get your dad, brother, boyfriend, or husband this holiday season!
Be a Team Player
If your guy is an athlete, you might consider a gift that he'll be able to use on the court or the field.
If money is no object, you could get him a new golf club bag, hockey skates, or a new rugby ball. If you don't want to break the bank, focus on smaller accessories, like a box of golf tee's or an arm band to hold his iPod when he hits the gym.
If the guy you're buying for spends more time in the bleachers, a team-logo Snuggie, hoodie, jersey, or poster lets him know you care. You can find great professional and college-team clothing and accessories in Dick's Sporting Goods, Wal-Mart, or TJ Maxx.
Other Great Ideas for the Sports Fan:
- Tailgating Cooler or Mini-Grill
- Team Ornament
- Just about anything signed by his favorite player
Give Them an Earful
One of the easiest gifts for an important guy in your life is music. A CD is relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
Lots of artists target the releases of their CD's to drop right before the shopping season, so keep an eye out for your boyfriend or brother's favorite bands. If you don't know what they like to listen to, you can never go wrong with an iTunes giftcard!
2012 Picks for...
The Classic/Oldie's Fan
- This is the Time: The Christmas Album - Michael Bolton
- James Taylor at Christmas - James Taylor
The Indie Guy
- Some Nights - Fun.
- Babel - Mumford & Sons
The Country Boy
- Uncaged - Zac Brown Band
- Night Train - Jason Aldean
The Soul Man
- R.E.D. - Ne-Yo
- Channel Orange - Frank Ocean
The Hip-Hop Lover
- Dreams and Nightmares - Meek Mill
- good kid, M.A.A.D. City - Kendrick Lamar
- Music from Another Dimension! - Aerosmith
- King Animal - Soundgarden
- GRRR! - The Rolling Stones
Make a Memory
What do you buy for someone who already has everything?
You buy them tickets to an event. It can range from the small (a movie, a local play) to the extravagant (roundtrip airfare!)
Has he been dropping hints about an upcoming concert? Is there a big basketball game coming up? Show him you care and that you value his interests by getting two tickets to something he'll love.
Not only will he love hitting up the game or concert, but it won't take up any space in storage and he'll get to spend some quality time with you! (Added bonus: It's like buying a Christmas present for yourself, too!)
Drink It All Up
If you're buying for the over-21 age set, an alcoholic Christmas present might make the perfect gift! Giving him something to spike the eggnog with will really get him into the "Christmas Spirits," if you will. ;)
Spoil your dad or grandfather with a nice bottle of wine (not the kind you usually buy, from the $4 bin at the grocery store!) Buy your husband an antique shaker. Gift your boyfriend with a flask.
When it comes to alcohol, a lot of guys will choose quantity over quality. Splurging on premium liquor for your man remains one of the sexiest things a woman can do.
Hit your local ABC store and grab some high quality bourbon or scotch. If your man has a preference, you can splurge on his favorites. If you don't know what he likes, mini bottles make great stocking stuffers, or grab something new to try!
Tied With a Bow
Giving a tie as a Christmas gift doesn't have to be unimaginative!
A tie is always useful, and always classy. Better yet - save him from having to ask you "which tie matches this shirt?" by getting him a new shirt and a tie that goes with it!
You can also make gifting a tie more fun by picking a whimsical joke tie. Every Easter, my dad brings out his loud, animal-print jungle tie, and every Christmas he wears the musical, Santa-playing-golf tie that my sister gave him several years ago. Picking a funky tie will make him laugh on Christmas morning, and every time he wears it!
You can find funky ties in stores (I've seen some great ones at Wal-Mart!), customize your own online at stores like Zazzle.com, or even design one yourself with fabric markers and a craft store or dollar store tie!
Better Watch Out, Better Not Cry!
Even in the age of digital technology, a watch still makes a great Christmas gift.
You don't have to buy a Rolex to make your man happy (although if you DO happen to have the means to afford a million-dollar watch, then by all means, go for it!)
Find your man some wrist-candy online on sites like Overstock.com, or check out specialty stores. High quality names include Citizen, Seiko, and Fossil.
Technology Under the Tree
While it may be a nuisance for the other eleven months of the year, the fact that technology is constantly evolving often works in your favor when it comes to Christmas shopping!
If you're buying for the tech junkie who loves to have the best and brightest new thing on the market, stick to buying accessories. Odds are, they stood in line for the iPhone 5 the day it was released, and don't need you to get it for them. Buying them a case for the brand new iPhone, fancy earbuds for their expensive new laptop, or a stylus for their new tablet computer is the way to go.
Also proceed with caution if you're buying for a technophobe. Some of our dads and grandpas are just getting the hang of this internet thing - getting them something that they don't know how to use is going to confuse and frustrate them. Maybe your gift could just be an offer to show Grandpa how to use the new television remote!
2012 Picks for...
- DVD's: Although all sources point to DVD-players becoming a thing of the past in the very near future, there's a good chance that your technophobe isn't ready for Blu-Ray yet. DVD's are cheap and easy, and everyone loves a good movie! Some new titles to check out include Breaking Bad: Season 4, Big Bang Theory: Season 5, and The Amazing Spiderman.
- Logitech Universal Remote: Consolidate all of the technology in your living room to one remote to make everyone's lives easier. Depending on how technology-averse the person you're buying for is, you might also want to include programming the remote and lessons on how to use it as part of your gift.
- Logitech Wireless Mouse: Take your technophobe to the next level by getting them a wireless mouse, and spare them from having one extra cord to untangle.
- Otterbox: Help him protect his latest smartphone purchase with an Otterbox case. Grab it in his favorite color and ensure that his phone will last forever - or until the iPhone 6 comes out.
- Yamaha PDX Portable Speakers: If he has the iPod already, and he doesn't need new earbuds, the next logical step is to get him some high-quality speakers. The Yamaha Portable speaker set provides the highest quality of sound at an affordable price, and your techie will love you for it!
Games, Games, Games, and more Games: Get them what they really want this year and find something else for them to do on that screen that they spend all day staring at.
- Wii Games:
- Xbox: Madden NFL 13, Halo Reach, Grand Theft Auto IV
- PS3: Assassin's Creed III,
Finding the perfect Christmas gift for the important men in your life can be stressful. Save yourself the trouble and get them something they'll REALLY love.
Have any great gift ideas for guys that you'd like to see included here? Post a comment and let me know!