- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Gifts & Gift-Giving»
- Personalized Gifts
Best Gifts for 13-Year-Old Girls – Christmas, Birthday, Hannukah, or Just Because
Best Gifts for 13- to 14-Year-Old Girls
What Gifts do 13-Year-Old Girls Want?
Buying gifts for anyone can be hard. This is especially true when you’re trying to find a gift for a 13-year-old girl. At that age girls know what they want and they know what's trendy—so you’d better keep up!
Though they may still seem like children to us, 13-year-olds don’t want anything “kiddy.” They want things that will let them feel adult. So, toys are out of the question more or less. They may be thrilled to get a plush toy from a friend – especially if that friend’s a boy – but a plush from a grown up is a no-go.
If you’re looking for gift ideas for the 13-year-old in your life, then hopefully this list will help. It contains some of the most requested and popular gifts amongst thirteen year old girls (my niece had some nice input on what girls want these days). Read on and you you'll find out what's hot, what's not, and what will bring a smile to a 13-year-old girl's face.
Hair Chalk is Pretty Great
Hair Products Make Great Gifts for 13-Year-Olds
Maybe your 13-year-old isn’t ready for make-up, but that doesn’t mean you can’t allow her to express herself and her personality by changing her look in other ways. Hair products are often really popular with teenagers since it gives them the freedom to change up their look almost every day. Here are a couple of idea for hair products for the 13-year-old girl in your life.
- Hair Chalk. This is really popular with teens since it allows them to easily and temporarily dye their hair (it lasts up to three days if you don’t wash it off). This is especially great if your teen wants highlights or to dye their hair a different color. I think hair chalk is one of the coolest (not to mention budget-friendly) gifts you can get for a 13-year-old. My niece loves this and she uses it to create a pink ombre effect on her blonde hair.
- Styling Wand. If your 13-year-old has straight hair, getting them this styling wand is the perfect way to let them change up their look. Though the tool can get really, really, hot it does a great job of adding instant curl to their hair. They can basically have a new ‘do everyday. I still remember the day when I first got my curling wand. I couldn't wait to use it and the next day at school I felt like a true diva with my perfect curls.
- Gift Certificates. If you want to make sure your 13-year-old will absolutely love her gift, then let her pick it out. Getting her a gift certificate to a place like Claire’s or Sephora would be the perfect present. A win-win for everyone.
Get Hair Chalk
Cute Gifts for Teen Girls: Pajamas and Onesies
There’s probably no more important social event in a 13-year-old girl’s life than a sleepover. So why not get her a onesie or some pajamas that will make her the envy of all her friends? These onesies from Kigurumi are a huge hit among the the 13-year-olds I know.
You could also get her some regular pajamas as long as you make sure they are super cute and stylish. Add a pair of fuzzy slippers and we have a winner!
For clothes she’d wear to school or with her friends, you’re probably better off letting her pick them out. Chances are you won’t get her style right and she may very well hate it just because she didn’t get to pick it out. So another great gift would be a gift certificate to her favorite clothing store. Or, you can take her shopping and offer to buy her one or two pieces of her choice.
Give the Gift of Nail Art
I can't even count how many different nail polishes my niece has, there are so many. She really loves to polish her nails and they always look great – much better than mine, if I’m being honest. All her friends love to do their nails too and some of them are true artists with all the detailed little masterpieces on their fingers.
I know I can always make her happy if I bring her a new nail polish or nail stickers, because within minutes she’s proudly showing off her new polish to everyone and anyone. Getting a huge pack of different colors will make them scream of joy, if you add a nail stamp set you'll be the best person in the world.
If you want to have more of a bonding experience with your 13-year-old, you could make an appointment at a nail salon and go together to get a professionally-done manicure and pedicure. She will love the pampering and attention and you’ll get to spend an awesome, fun-filled afternoon of quality-time together.
You Can Also Show Them a New Technique
Books: The Best Gift for any 13-Year-Old
These days, reading is in. Between Divergent, The Hunger Games, The Fault in Our Stars, and all the other YA novels being adapted into movies, you have a bunch of options to choose from. However if she’s already worked her way through the obvious choices, you may need to dig a bit deeper to find a series that she’ll love. Here are a few that have gone over like gangbusters:
- The Grisha Trilogy - by Leigh Bardugo. This series takes place in an alternate version of Russia in the nineteenth century wracked by war and ruled by a powerful group of magicians, called Grisha. The heroine, Alina Starkov, discovers within herself a long lost magical power that could set her war-torn country on the path to peace. Taken from her humble background, Alina is whisked away to the capital to train as a Grisha and to serve at the right hand of the Darkling, the Grisha’s mysterious leader. This series is just great - you’ll want to keep it for yourself. It’s well-written, funny, and depicts a richly detailed world that you’ll want to explore even more.
- Eleanor & Park - by Rainbow Rowell. This more realistic novel is about a a star-crossed pair of sixteen year-olds in 1980s Omaha. Set over the course of a school year, it tells the story of first-love between the weirdo misfit Eleanor and the half-Korean Park: two people who don’t quite fit in but manage somehow to fit together. An amazing story from an amazingly talented writer - it’ll have your 13-year-old swooning for days.
- Catcher in the Rye - by J.D. Salinger. Hey, this is a classic for a reason. Holden Caulfield’s cynicism has gotten millions of teenagers through the hell of adolescence. He may not be the best role model and the novel may feel a little dated - if only Holden had had a smart phone! - but if your 13-year-old is anything like I was, then she’ll think Salinger was writing just for her.