- Holidays and Celebrations
I decided to be a little more "Christmas friendly" and devote this one to some really nice Christmas quotes. These come from all over, and a lot of these have stood the test of time. And most of them are NOT cynical. You could maybe even use some of them for your own personal Christmas cards.
Well...some of them...
Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.
- Norman Vincent Peale, Protestant preacher and author of The Power of Positive Thinking
There's nothing sadder in this world than to awake Christmas morning and not be a child.
- Erma Bombeck, American humorist
He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree.
- Dr. Roy L. Smith, Methodist preacher, author and former editor of The Christian Advocate magazine
I am not alone at all, I thought. I was never alone at all. And that, of course, is the message of Christmas. We are never alone. Not when the night is darkest, the wind coldest, the world seemingly most indifferent. For this is still the time God chooses.
- Taylor Caldwell, novelist
Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind.
- Mary Ellen Chase, educator, teacher, scholar, and author
Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, all the snow in Alaska won't make it 'white'.
- Bing Crosby, singer, actor and the man who "owns" White Christmas.
I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.
- Charles Dickens, English novelist who wrote A Christmas Carol
A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together.
- Garrison Keillor, author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality
There has been only one Christmas - the rest are anniversaries.
- W.J. Cameron, Alberta politician, leader of the Conservative Party, barrister, Queen's Counsel, and a Justice of the Court of Queen's Bench
The perfect Christmas tree? All Christmas trees are perfect!
- Charles N. Barnard, author
Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall.
- Larry Wilde, humorist, motivational speaker and author
Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.
- Charles Schulz , the creator of Charlie Brown and Peanuts
Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.
- Washington Irving, author, essayist, biographer and historian
Maybe Christmas,he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more.
- Dr. Seuss, Theodor Seuss Geisel, author of one of the greatest Christmas books ever written, How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1957)
Isn't it funny that at Christmas something in you gets so lonely for - I don't know what exactly, but it's something that you don't mind so much not having at other times.
- Kate L. Bosher, author
Instead of being a time of unusual behavior, Christmas is perhaps the only time in the year when people can obey their natural impulses and express their true sentiments without feeling self-conscious and, perhaps, foolish. Christmas, in short, is about the only chance a man has to be himself.
- Francis C. Farley, author
It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air.
- W.T. Ellis, author
Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want and their kids pay for it.
- Richard Lamm, politician, Certified Public Accountant, and lawyer.
Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love!
- Hamilton Wright Mabie, essayist, editor, critic, and lecturer
Christmas is forever, not for just one day,
for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away
like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf.
The good you do for others is good you do yourself...
~Norman Wesley Brooks, "Let Every Day Be Christmas," 1976
From a commercial point of view, if Christmas did not exist it would be necessary to invent it.
- Katharine Whitehorn, British journalist, writer, and columnist
In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians called it 'Christmas' and went to church; the Jews called it 'Hanukkah' and went to synagogue; the atheists went to parties and drank. People passing each other on the street would say 'Merry Christmas!' or 'Happy Hanukkah!' or (to the atheists) 'Look out for the wall!'
- Dave Barry, author and columnist
Oh look, yet another Christmas TV special! How touching to have the meaning of Christmas brought to us by cola, fast food, and beer.... Who'd have ever guessed that product consumption, popular entertainment, and spirituality would mix so harmoniously?
- Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin & Hobbes
Roses are reddish
Violets are bluish
If it weren't for Christmas
We'd all be Jewish.
- Benny Hill, English comedian, actor and singer
Christmas is the season when you buy this year's gifts with next year's money.
- Author Unknown
Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice.
- Author Unknown
The message of Christmas is that the visible material world is bound to the invisible spiritual world.
- Author Unknown
The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a nativity scene in Washington, D.C. This wasn't for any religious reasons. They couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.
- Jay Leno, stand-up comedian and television host
Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.
- Dennis Miller, stand-up comedian, political commentator, actor, sports commentator, television and radio personality who used to be a lot funnier than he is now.
Let's be naughty and save Santa the trip.
- Gary Allan, country music artist
It's Christmas Eve. It's the one night that we act a little nicer. We smile a little easier. We cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year, we are the people that we always hoped that we would be.
You know, it's not too late on Christmas Eve to have fun. You can call people that you haven't seen. You can call an old college roommate. You can call an old Army buddy. You can call your personal banker.
You have to do something. You have to take a chance. You have to get involved. There are people who are having trouble making their miracle happen. There are people who don't have enough to eat. There are people who are cold. You can go out and say "Hello" to these people. You can take an old blanket out of the closet and say "Here." You can make 'em a sandwich. And say "Oh, by the way, here."
- Bill Murray as Frank Cross in Scrooged