Angel Crafts for Christmas
How to Make Angel Decorations and Crafts
Creating Christmas decorations and crafts is an American tradition. In our family, we love to make our own decorations and ornaments and many are passed down from generation to generation. I have included some patterns and instructions for a few of the Angels that I have made. Some are old patterns and some are based on old designs, but with my own special alterations. Some of them would make nice holiday gifts. We hope you enjoy making them and using them.
We've also included Angelic music for your enjoyment while you view the page and links where you can purchase ready made Angels, craft books, ornaments and other heavenly things that you may like.
We think that the best and most cherished holiday decorations are made by hand and that are passed down from generation to generation. There are a lot of artists and "crafters" in our family who have shared patterns and directions for some lovely Christmas crafts.
Some of my favorite Christmas crafts are the Angels. I have made them in all shapes and sizes and from a variety of different materials and I'd like to share some of my favorites with you. I hope you enjoy making and using them as much as we have. Some of these are over 30 years old and I have added a few of my own touches and altered a couple to suit my tastes. I've included the original pattern and also my changes to the design.
Many angel posters, cards and ornaments such as Angel by ReflectivePanorama are available on Zazzle.
Original Lace Angel
Angels for the Tree
LACE ANGEL ORNAMENT (Original Pattern)
- 18 inches of 3 inch wide lace (which has like edges and a uniform pattern of holes along the middle and the edges) per angel.
- 1 (12") gold pipe cleaner
- 24" of narrow ribbon
- 1 (1") round wooden doll head with hole all the way through
- 2 miniature roses
- 1 small jingle bell (if desired)
- 6" gold cord
1. GLUE HAIR TO HEAD AND LET DRY. MAKE A CIRCLE 1/3 OF THE WAY ON THE END OF THE PIPE CLEANER. PUT BOTH ENDS THROUGH HEAD. WRAP SHORT END AROUND THE STEM FOR A COLLAR.
2. COUNT DOWN 11 HOLES IN THE LACE (@ 6") AND CUT. WEAVE THROUGH THE CENTER HOLES ONTO THE LONG END OF THE PIPE CLEANER AND PUSH UP FOR WINGS.
3. GATHER THE REST OF THE LACE ALONG THE LONG EDGE. PULL TIGHTLY AND TIE OFF. SLIDE UP ONTO THE LONG END OF THE PIPE CLEANER & GLUE UNDER THE WINGS.
4. MAKE A BOW WITH THE 12" OF RIBBON. GLUE AT THE WAIST. GLUE ON ROSE. REPEAT FOR THE BACK.
5. MAKE A LOOP OF THE GOLD CORD. DIP THE ENDS INTO CLEAR NAIL POLISH. SLIP IT OVER THE HALO & GLUE KNOT AT HEAD FOR HANGER.
6. CUT OFF PIPE CLEANER UNDERSKIRT OR LEAVE IT & ATTACH A SMALL BELL.
Fan Style Skirt
Follow Directions number 1 & 2 above.3. Instead of gathering the lace to make a skirt, fold the lace like a fan and bend the pipe cleaner at a right angle, then thread it through the edge of the lace. Fan out the lace to make the skirt (see photo). Bend pipe cleaner up in the middle of the back and twirl it and cut off access. Glue bow to hide it.Follow directions 4 & 5 above.
Little Lace One for a Small Tree
Use the directions for the original angel, but use 6 inch lengths of 2 different types of gathered decorative ribbon instead of lace. Fold a third 6 inch piece of lace for the bodice and glue the pipe cleaner to it. Use 2 long white feathers for the wings. Add hair and other decoration if desired.
1 18mm White Pearls Item # 1438-12
60 6mm White Pearls Item # 1438-06
50 4mm Gold Pearls Item # 1439-07
1 1/3 yd. 24 ga. Wire Item # 1430-01
1 pin back
Tools Needed: Wire Cutter, Needle Nose Pliers, Scissors, hot glue gun
- Slip 9 white pearls onto 1 yard of the wire.
- Fold wire up at each end of the pearls, making sure ends of wire are even. Now slip 8 white onto the right side of the wire.
- Slide the left wire through the 8 pearls on the right. Since the wire is going through the pearls for the 2nd time it is best to keep the wire straight. Instead of pulling the wire through each pearl, slide all the pearls onto 2nd wire, then pull both wires until pearls come together. Try to keep the wire as even as possible.
- Slip 8 pearls onto whichever wire is shorter. Fold pearls over toward the previous row, then slip the other wire through the pearls just as you did before.
- Repeat (step 4) six more times, each time decreasing 1 white pearl. The top row should have 2 pearls.
- To make the wings, put 10 gold pearls on each wire and thread the end through the wire loop on the edge of row 5 and 6. Put 8 gold pearls on each wire and 2 white pearls on the shorter wire. Run each wire through 1 of the 2 white pearls and come up in between the pearls.
- To attach the head and halo: Slip the 18mm pearl onto both wires, then slip 10 gold pearls onto one wire. Twist the wire (with the pearls) around the other wire to form a tight circle. Trim off excess wire.
- To form the arms: Use about 1 foot of wire and run it through the row with 3 white pearls, making sure the ends are even. Put 3 white pearls and 1 gold pearl on each end. Run the wire back through the 3 white pearls to form the 2 arms and back through 1 of the 3 body pearls on each side to come out on the back. Put the wires together to secure the pin back. You may also need a little hot glue.
Another variation can be found at: Angel made from pearls
Twisted Paper Heavenly Host
Instead of the paper covered plastic foam ball, I used a large bead for the head, painted a face and glued on doll hair. The traditional corn shuck or twisted paper dolls do not have faces.
reference for Instructions: Sandy Dye, Paper Ribbon Welcome Dolls 13 Delightful Paper Ribbon Dolls to Make Using Twisted Paper, Plaid Express, 1990.
'Angels' in Greek means 'Messengers'. In the Bible, heavenly angels are mentioned as messengers of god. Christmas angels are perhaps the most popular form of angels that are used in our celebrations. Angels are believed to be immortals, who live in Heaven, and act as intermediaries between God and Humankind. Traditionally, pictures and poems on angels portray them having human bodies with wings sprouting from their backs. 'Wings' are said to symbolize Innocence, Virtue, Purity, Peace and Love, which place them above Humans though they are still under God. It was the Hebrew Bible or the Old Testament of Christianity, which first mentions that angels had a human body and angel wings and could fly.
Quote from Christmas World
Do you craft and/or collect Angels?
Crocheted Angels are also quite beautiful. Instructions for this Small Angel and many other Angel patterns can be found at Crochet Pattern Central.
Crocheted angels make lovely Christmas ornaments and gifts, but you need to start crocheting in fall so you'll have time to finish them all. In addition to online sites, there are many instructional books available with patterns.
Counted Cross Stitch
Counted cross stitch is a lovely form of needlework that can be used to make some beautiful keepsake Christmas ornaments as well as a variety of other projects. Many good counted cross stitch books that feature Angel patterns are available.
Angel Gifts and More
If you don't have time to craft some Christmas Angels, then here is a nice selection of ready made gifts, decorations and ornaments.
You'll also find Christmas cards, posters and many other heavenly offerings from Zazzle. One of the nice things about Zazzle's print on demand site is that each item can be personalized and customized to make the gift even more special.
I especially love the cats. You'll find some purr-fect Angel Cat Gifts on Zazzle.
Guardian Angel of Cats by grandfinalepro
Tabby cat angel notecard by bmoussart
BICOLOR PERSIAN ANGEL CAT Postage by BY_CYRA
Christmas Angel Vid
Ragdoll Cat (Blue Point) Angel - Clouds by catartgifts
Links to More Angel Crafts
- Free Craft Ideas - Angel Crafts and Patterns!
You will find beautiful, free angel craft projects and patterns here: Tole, glass, beaded, feathered angels and much more at Craftown.
- Angel Crafts
Angel Themed Projects and Crafts
- Craft Site Directory - Angels
- Free Angel Crafts - Web Of Angels Class Room
Over 60 Free Angel Crafts!
- Crochet Angel - Free Craft Pattern - Web of Angels
Crochet Angel - Free Craft Pattern - Web of Angels
- World of Christmas
- AngelCrafts - Crocheting for Charity ~ Free Patterns
Patterns for afghans, baby booties, caps, and blankets, and lots more.
- Angel Crafts for Kids : Ideas for Arts & Crafts Activities to Make fabric, paper, beaded Angels
Angel Crafts for Kids : Ideas for Arts & Crafts Activities to Make fabric, paper, beaded Angels for jewelry and decorations for Children, Teens, and Preschoolers