- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Creative Valentine's Day Gift Ideas for Guys
Valentine's Day Gift Ideas for HIM
Lets face it, Valentine's Day seems to cater more to the female species. Maybe it is the over saturation of pink hearts, price inflated roses, sappy engagement ring commercials, or Meg Ryan romantic comedies that perpetuate this. Whatever the reason, these Valentine's Day marketing tactics seem to be extremely effective.
All of these not so subtle hints make it super easy for your guy to know how to make you feel special on Valentine's Day (simple flowers can go a long way). But, leaves you with the question, what should I gift him for Valentine's day?
Below is a list of creative ideas to show your special someone you care about them on Valentine's Day or any special day. Most Valentine's day gift ideas can be catered to couples at any stage in the relationship spectrum from "just started dating" to "married and don't remember when I was single".
Although you could argue that Valentine's Day may be the leader of the pack when it comes to "Halmarkized" holiday celebrations, it is a good excuse to show people you love or someone special that you appreciate and care about them.
DIY Homemade Bacon Scented Soap
I know a lot of people may be experiencing bacon trend fatigue. Every time you turn your head, something is being infused with bacon. I think this correlated with the rising popularity of going out to brunch.
There is a reason why the bacon trend is not fading and still going strong, people, especially certain dudes, love bacon, like seriously love it. What bacon lovers love the most about bacon besides devouring it, is the smell of bacon.
Getting on the bacon loving band wagon and making your man homemade bacon soap is really going above and beyond. Once you make your DIY bacon scented soap, you can wrap it up as a gift in parchment paper or create a cute Valentine label for it.
How to Make Homemade Bacon Scented Soap
You will need:
- bacon grease
- glycerine soap base (available at most craft stores)
- plastic mold (a tupperware container or any container that is flexible could be used)
- rubbing alcohol in spray bottle
- Cool bacon grease to room temperature
- Spray the soap molds or container with rubbing alcohol
- Cut off a chunk of the glycerine soap to the desired amount and melt in microwave
- Add the desired amount of bacon grease or essential oils to melted soap and stir with a wooden spoon
- Funnel or carefully pour the soap into the molds or container
- Spray the top of the soap while in liquid form with the alcohol spray (to prevent air bubbles)
- Let the soap molds sit at room temperature until completely cooled (1-2 hours)
- Carefully remove the soap from the soap mold to reveal the bacon soap
Valentine's Day Beer Labels
Re-label beers or any beverage with personalized Valentine's day messages. You can upload images, trivia, jokes, or puzzles to make consuming the gift more fun. Use a beer label creator online, editing software or resize a word document to desired label size to make a customized label. Once designed, print at home on sticker paper and adhere the label to the beer.
Personal iPhone Passbook Pass Game Schedule
Create a personal iPhone Passbook Pass with a schedule or information about your man's favorite sports team's games or band's tour dates. He can access the schedule and important links in the iPhone Passbook App.
He can share a copy of the customized schedule with friends or family members as well by texting the pass or by sending it through Airdrop. Friends and family members can also scan the barcode with an iPhone scanner app to access additional information on the pass.
Follow these instructions to create a template using the Passdock website. If you are really ambitious, you can create different variations of the card for various hobbies, shows, and sporting events. Since you are the creator, you can automatically update the pass with any changes you make.
A Bouquet of Socks and a Box of Meat
A bouquet of red roses and a box of chocolates is the quintessential Valentine's Day gift for the ladies. Take a different spin on this traditional gift by making a bouquet of socks and giving him a box of cured meats. This is a fun and creative way to show your dude you care.
Most deli counters or gourmet food markets have good selections of cured meats such as prosciutto, salami, sausage, or even gourmet beef jerky. You can disguise the packaged meats in a large chocolate box. For the herbivore fellas out there, use cheese, nuts, or even tofu faux meat.
Create the bouquet of wearable roses from athletic socks, boxers or even ties.
To Make a sock bouquet with a dozen sock roses you will need:
- 6 pairs of socks
- 12 safety pins
- 12 wooden dowels
- flower vase
- ribbon or tissue paper (optional)
Please see below for step-by-step instructions how to make a rose sock
How to Fold a Sock Rose Instructions
- Layout your sock so the ankle is facing you
- Fold over away from you the top part of the ankle to form a triangle
- Roll the sock a few more times away from you to form the center of the rose
- Fold under the toe section so the toe section is below the rest of the sock
- Roll up the rest of the sock starting from the ankle moving to the toe.
- Safety pin the lose end to the rest of the sock and stick the wooden skewer into the center of the sock rose
Valentine's Day Gift Idea Poll
How do you celebrate Valentine's Day with your loved one?
Beer and Chocolate Pairing
Create a romantic beer and chocolate pairing for your man to share. Talk to your area brew shop to get recommendations for local brews and flavor pairings. Make sure to get a decent variety of beer styles to taste from. Once you have your beers, buy chocolates ranging in sweetness and flavors to pair with the brew.
Arrange a beer flight of the various beers from lightest to darkest accompanied by the chocolate. Write down the different flavors in the beer and have fun making your man guess the type of beer and flavor combinations.
Beer and Chocolate Pairing Guide
full bodied, hoppy, hints of fruit
medium to high hop flavor
Stout or Porter
dark, fruity-dry, creamy head
dark, hints of carmel or nuts
Gift Card Wallet
Buy or make a wallet and fill it with gift cards for random things. Make sure to include a few things you can do together.
Gift card wallet ideas include the following:
- Car wash
- Cup of coffee
- Lotto scratchers
- Favorite store
- Ice cream shop
- Lottery ticket
- Mini Golf
- Movie tickets
QR Code Scavenger Hunt
Buy tickets to an upcoming event such as a comedy show, concert, or sporting event and create a scavenger hunt around your house with different clues leading to the present.
To make it even more interesting and a lot less work, create QR Codes using a QR code generator that scan into different URL images as clues. You print out the QR codes and strategically place them throughout your house. This way you don't have to draw or write out every clue.
- Google image a picture of a penguin on ice
- Copy the URL of the image into a QR code creator
- Print out the QR code and label this as clue #1
- Clue #1 directs you to the freezer where there isclue #2
- Google image a picture of a sleeping dog for clue #2 and create/print out another QR code
- Clue #2 leads you to your dog's bed where Clue #3 is hidden
Valentine's Day Gift Ideas
© 2015 Mary Ellen Block