Halloween Costumes for Dogs-How to Measure For Size-Safety Tips
Buy Halloween Dog Costumes Online and Save
Halloween is the most popular holiday of the year, second only to Christmas. Children are completely involved in fun activities from carving pumpkins to wearing cute costumes. The whole family shares in preparing for trick-or-treaters.
But the most exciting and fun part of this special day is wearing a costume whether it be store bought or home made. And don't forget to include your wonderful best friend, your dog.
If you opt for a store bought canine costume I recommend saving time, energy and money by shopping for cute and cheap halloween costumes for dogs on line. Amazon.com features a wide variety at low prices. Ebay.com allows you to "buy now" or "bid" on cute, cheap dog costumes. Some purchases include free shipping, but even if a small shipping fee is added, it's a whole lot cheaper than putting gas in your car.
Size and Tips For Buying Dog Halloween Costumes
Your dogs comfort should be the top priority when selecting the right Halloween costume. Never be rough with your canine friend when dressing him for Halloween. Use a gentle touch and if your dog rebels and it all gets out-of-hand then skip the costume completely.
Never, ever put anything across his nostrils or mouth. Dogs die this way!
Determining the right size costume for your dog can be a problem. You can't always go by weight and small, medium, large and extra large is often misleading. So here are a few tips to consider to make sure fido has the perfect fit.
- Start off by measuring your dogs chest, neck and his length, measuring from his neck to the base of his tail. (Don't include the tail.)
- Use a soft tape measure like the ones used for sewing.
- Measure loosely to give your dog enough room when he is in his costume.
- Next, measure your dogs chest. Begin at the front legs and measure around the body.
- Keep a record of the measurements so you won't have to repeat at another time. However, if you have a puppy you'll have to re-measure him as he grows.
The video below will give you some great tips for measuring your dog for a costume.
Help for measuring your dog for a costume
FREE shipping on tuxedo costume
Dogs Halloween Costume Sizes
Here are the most popular sizes available for dog costumes:
- Small - Size ranges from 13 to 16" around the chest area. The neck measures from 10 to 13" and is 10" in length.
- Medium - Size for the chest area mesaures 16 to 19". The neck is 13 to 16" around and 12" long.
- Large - On a large dog the chest will measure 19 to 21" around and about 16" in length.
Depending on the manufacturer these measurements may vary. For extra large dogs measure the same way as stated above.
Safety Tips for Dog Costumes
Halloween is a lot of fun but you want to be sure your dog is safe. Keep a close eye on the treats that may fall to the ground. Keep all treats away from him - especially chocolate. Remember to:
- Keep your dog on a leash if you take him trick or treating.
- Add a light-up collar so he can be seen in the dark.
- Put the comfort of your dog first by making sure the costume doesn't drag on the ground. And always make sure the collar and the costume are not to tight.
- Prevent choking by inserting two fingers between the collar and the neck /throat of your dog. The collar shouldn't be any tighter than that.
- Make sure the costume allows him to go to the bathroom.
- No part of the costume should be too tight - especially around the head or neck area.
- And lastly - if your dog doesn't like wearing the costume, please take it off right away, regardless of how cute he looks.
Keep your pet safe
Make your own dog T-Shirts
© 2012 Audrey Hunt