DIY | Chalkboard Paint Pumpkins
Introducing Chalkboard Paint!
Chalkboard paint may just be the coolest invention since the television. Ok, maybe not but you have to admit it is pretty cool. You can put chalkboard paint on just about anything and it turns whatever into a whole lot of fun! But, since it is so close to Halloween, let's get festive with it. I'm going to show you how much fun pumpkins can become without the carving. No carving equals no gooey mess! Now, that's something to definitely get excited about!
Having Trouble Locating Chalkboard Paint? Buy Some Here!
What You Will Need:
Now I happened to use a kit (see photo) that I was able to find at my local Target. But, if you cannot find a kit, no need to worry! I decided I wanted to do more pumpkins and all the tools I found at my local craft store or you can even find them at your local Walmart! It's super simple! So, get your shopping list ready.
- A medium to large pumpkin in any color. The color does not matter as you will be painting the entirety of the pumpkin.
- Black chalkboard paint and a small head painter's brush. A smaller brush works better so that you can get into all the cracks and crevices of your pumpkin If you cannot find this in your Walmart or craft store, try looking in the hardware section. Or, even a hardware store.
- Chalk in the color of your choice. I used white as it was the color that came with my kit.
- Halloween stickers and decorations of your choice. My kit came with a spider web topper, gold spiders, and gold rivets (or thumbtacks), but in any Halloween section of any store you will find a ton of variations. I am extremely excited to create another chalkboard pumpkin with my own supplies from my local craft store. I am sure creating your own or letting the kids create their own would make Chalkboard paint pumpkins 10x more fun!
- Old newspaper or wax paper for putting the pumpkin on top of for a no mess craft and super easy clean up!
Now Here Comes The How To Fun Part!
1. Start off by lining your area with the newspaper or wax paper. This part is to ensure that you don't get black paint anywhere else but on the pumpkin.
2. Using a damp cloth or paper towel, clean off your pumpkin making sure all grime and dirt is off so that you have a nice, clean canvas for your chalkboard paint.
3. Set your pumpkin on top of newspaper or wax paper and begin painting with the chalkboard paint and painter's brush in upward and downward even strokes. You may have to apply a second layer to cover the pumpkin completely and to make sure it is applied evenly all the way around the pumpkin. I also painted my stem with the chalkboard paint, but you don't have to if you do not like the look. Or, you could paint the stem a different color. Gold would have went perfectly with mine!
4. Now, let your chalkboard paint dry. This is the hardest step if you have eager children, or if you were excited like me, OR if you have nosey cats like mine who wanted to sniff the wet pumpkin.
5. Once your pumpkin is dry, it is time for the fun chalk part! I went with writing a simple BOO! and then let my children cover the rest. Be careful not to scratch to hard with the chalk as some of the paint may come off.
6. Now it is time to puncture your pumpkin with your thumbtacks if you decided to use them. I placed my gold ones simultaneously all around the pumpkin. Watch your hands and fingers when decorating and be careful not to smudge your beautiful chalk job, which I did more then once.
7. Next, it's time to put those Halloween stickers on! I had gold spider stickers which I again placed simultaneously all around my pumpkin.
8. My chalkboard paint pumpkin kit came with a gold, spiderweb topper sticker. If you wanted a topper sticker, these also shouldn't be too hard to find in your local craft store or Walmart.
See how super simple it was to make Chalkboard Paint Pumpkins?! Plus, the kids will love it. Left over Chalkboard paint? There are many other uses for it as well so that nothing gets wasted. Check them out!
- Tired of a simple, boring refrigerator? Jazz it up with Chalkboard Paint! Completely cover the refrigerator with the paint and let dry. Place plastic wrap on your floor below to ensure you do not get paint everywhere. That's it! Now, you can write your shopping and/or to do list right on your refrigerator.
- No more boring white walls! Paint one side of you or your children's bedroom wall and let them run wild. This way, no one can get in trouble for writing on the walls.
- Paint your kitchen cabinets with the Chalkboard Paint, and then label them with what goes inside. Example: Plates, Cups, Bowls, Pantry
- Take an empty picture frame and paint the backside piece. Now, you can write your own quotes and hang them on the wall!
- Paint your ceiling and have at it with your creativity by drawing your own ceiling mural.
- Having a dinner party? How about this creative idea: Use your Chalkboard Paint to paint the base of wine glasses and then write names on them according your guests and set them at the appropriate place at the dinner table. Or, let them monogram their glasses themselves!
- Paint one side of the wall in your office, or a giant square on the wall, and use it to draw a Calender.
- Paint a flower pot in Chalkboard Paint and let the kids create their own flower pots! My kids did this last spring, but with finger paints. Next spring, they are ready to make new pots with chalk!
The possibilities are really quite endless. One thing is for sure, chalkboards are not just for teachers anymore! From my family to yours, we wish you all a Happy Halloween!
Here Is More Halloween Fun!
- What Are The Best Haunted House Attractions in America?
Want to check out some of the all-time best haunted house attractions there is? These Haunted attraction houses have been voted among many as the best in the Country.
- DIY Easy Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
The days of just carving pumpkins are over. There are so much more to try out in the crafty world that can be done to spice up your pumpkins. All you need are all different sizes, shapes, colors and imagination!
- Fun and Easy Halloween Party Recipes
Discover and enjoy some great Halloween party recipe ideas These will all be sure to make your Halloween party a hit!