Decorating Your Own Welcome Mat
Ways To Decorate
I know that there are certain women out there who like to decorate for every holiday. This is the perfect idea for someone who likes to decorate and is crafty. There are so many different crafty ideas now for welcome mats. The following below is an easy description of how to make a homemade welcome mat or doormat. Keep in mind that this is a Christmas design that is described here but, the possibilities would be endless to the designs you can make after you get the technique down. You can make doormats for friends with all different designs and for all different holidays.
I hope you enjoy this idea as much as I have. Always buy enough thread, yarn or string for your projects and of course extra glue for any mishaps that may occur. You could use many different patterns, easy and everyday items to make patterns for future mats. Do not forget the glitter or the stencils. Both of which, do a wonderful job of living up the project.
Decorating is a meant to be done as a fun past time that should enjoyed but, also done with caution. Always follow directions of all the manufacturer's instructions. If there's a possibility that a busy schedule might keep you from working on your welcome mats. At this point, then you may want to set goals. Goals are good to get thing accomplished you have set when doing this type of decorating especially things that require work to complete. Make sure and take time outs if you feel yourself starting to feel overwhelmed. Remember, this is supposed to be a fun activity so try and not get frustrated. Look at other door mats that have been decorated in order to get fresh ideas. Keep a sharp pair of scissors handy to cut off any strings that might be hanging anywhere on the mat.
Do not be afraid to turn to older family members for help. You would be surprised how many grandmothers and mothers can do things like this or at least share awesome ideas. If your online you can also get ideas from other people as you on the way they decorate and which materials they use.
There are endless ideas that you can find on one such online site that has crafting ideas or you can just come up with your own ideas. Enlist the help of family and friends to help in making the welcome mat. Have them all submit ideas and then pick a winner.
Building and Decorating at Home!
- How To Build a Homemade Boxing Ring
This is an article describing in detail the steps to building a homemade boxing ring for your back yard. Pictures, polls, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this hub.
- Party Ideas for the Backyard
This article is about different ways to entertain family and friends in your backyard. Grilling out, playing music and having horseshoes and volleyball are just a few of the ways to party listed in this hub. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and
- How To Build a Nativity Scene
This article will describe how to build a Baby Jesus Manger Scene using Pallets, Nails and a hammer. You tube clips, pictures, polls, maps, a quiz and commentary are also listed in this Christmas related hub.
- Holiday Decorating 101
This article documents different ways to decorate for the holidays. Putting lights on the house, decorating the yard and placing a Christmas tree in the window are just a few ways to prepare for the holidays. Pictures, videos, commentary and a poll a
- How To Make Decorative Wreaths
I hope that you enjoy this hub. I enjoy doing crafts but, haven't had much time later. Pictures, commentary, you tube videos, polls and maps are featured in this hub..
There are a few materials that you will need to purchase before you can start making your very own welcome mat. The following materials are listed below.
1. Doormat: For this particular project I would recommend a doormat that is fibrous and made of long-lasting material like coir or palmyra.
2. Spray on exterior primer: Spray the mat with the primer and let it dry completely. You will want to let it dry for overnight. Make sure and get an established brand that works so you do not have to do it twice.
3. Craft Foam Sheets: This can be cut out into any pattern that you wanted to make a truly custom welcome or Christmas mat.
4. Different size glasses or bowls: These can be easily used to design your welcome mat. I would recommend that you use different sizes as you would like. The colors and circles can even overlap. There is no right or wrong way to do this design.
5. Pencil or pen: A pen or pencil can be used to trace around the bowls if you want before you tape off your design.
6. Craft knife or scissors: These scissors are just good to have on hand in case there's anything that needs to be trimmed or cut during your project.
7. Enamel spray paint in shades of green and red: This particular color of paint is what you would use to paint the bulk of the mat. If you are doing Christmas colors that would be perfect. If you decide to go with a different design, just change the colors accordingly.
8. Duct tape: This is one of the most popular inventions and can be used to tape off the particular pattern that you choose to use. What an inexpensive way to decorate the mat and then all that you have to do is pull it up and the design is revealed.
Making The Striped Mat
Apply primer to the entire surface of the mat and allow it to dry according to the manufacturer's instructions. Stripes are created by placing the duct tape on the mat. Do stripes with different widths. Then, apply spray paint in various colors and allow it to dry according to the instructions on the can. Repeat the process until the entire mat is covered.
Making The Circle Design Mat
Apply the exterior primer to the entire surface of the mat. Allow primer to dry completely according to the manufacturer's instructions. Create various size circle shapes by tracing around various sizes of glasses or bowls with a pen. Use a craft knife of scissors to cut out stencils. Place the stencils on the mat arranged how you like them. Also, you could cut out the center of the stencil and paint in the inside part of the circle. Paint the stencils with the colors that you choose. Being a Christmas Mat, green and red would be my choices. Just allow the paint to dry according to the manufacturer's directions.
I hope that you enjoy your Christmas mat and I hope that this brings inspiration for other designs for a welcome mat, Christmas mat or your other crafty projects around the house. It's all about getting creative and remember you can fix mistakes.
Do You Decorate?
Do you decorate your home at Christmas time?
© 2012 Buster Johnson