Decorating Ideas for a Sunday Market Themed Party
You can create the decorations for this party theme yourself!
This Sunday Market themed children's party is full of fun and bright colors, lots of accessories that can be bought off the shelf from your local crafts store or online which makes it convenient. There are a few projects you can try as well to give it that personalized touch. In this article you will get great ideas on what decors you and the kids can make and what materials are needed
Sunday Market Themed Decor
Choose a fun theme that is not faddish
Where to begin.
In this article, let us concentrate on the decorations. I will leave the rest of the planning to you but here are a few guide questions to follow just in case.
- what is your theme
- once you have established what the theme will be, count how many are coming
- where will it be held, at home or in a hall or a restaurant or a venue
- will you be ordering food and cakes for your party or will you be making all these yourself
- what time will this party start
Now for the Centerpieces:
For this theme, if you plan to have around 10 tables or more, try to make a variation of 3 to 5 different designs for your centerpieces. For this particular party, I decided on 4 designs.
1. First, I bought a few stuffed toy flowers online. These centerpieces also doubled as souvenirs for the party's guests. I made a platform using a 20 inch by 20 inch box. I covered it in wrapping paper with a gingham pattern. I used two colors, pink and blue. For the blue gingham, i went around the box with a pink satin ribbon on the top and bottom edges. For the pink gingham pattern, I used blue satin ribbon. It completed the look of the box. You have to remember, the secret is to pay attention to the small details. It will make your design really pop.
2. I used a square glass container to hold up my flowers. You can use any type of vase or even use old bottles, just remove the label and cover the middle with another cloth or piece of colored paper. I filled the container half way with sand.
You can also print out some personalized postcards to place beside the flowers
Cute Flower Centerpiece
Flower stuffed toys
Look for things you can use inside your house
You can refurbish your old things like add lace or ribbons or simply by cleaning them. It will save you lots of money and they can go back to being your house decorations after the party. No new clutter!
Picnic Basket Centerpiece Design
For the second centerpiece, I decide on a picnic theme. This is how i went about making this design.
1. I found some weaved baskets from my local craft store and I used it for this design. I also found paper napkins with a blue gingham pattern which was perfect since it looked exactly like my paper cover for the box I used as the riser. Again, the riser is 20 inches x 20 inches.
2. I used plastic plates, blue utensils, pink gingham paper napkins. You can just use what you already have at home or easily get these at the grocery store.
3. I found some faux cake. You can surely use real cake to display but the ones I found were also going to given to the guests as souvenirs.
4. To add to the theme, I was able to find some old bottles I covered with the gingham pattern and used satin ribbon to tie it in the middle. The red and blue liquid is just water with food coloring. You can replace these with old soda pop bottles as well, to give i that vintage classic look.
This is the third centerpiece theme and the most fun to make. The materials for this centerpiece is easy to find at any grocery and hobby store. You can try these steps and make your own version of it.
1. Make a box riser, For this one, I made a 20 inches x 20 inches box, covered it in pink gingham paper and lined it with blue ribbon.
2. Make your pies. Use a tin foil cake pan and get crumpled newspaper and form it into a ball. Place it into the pan.Add smaller crumpled paper and make sure that it goes all the way to the edges. Also, the center has to be the tallest peak. Make as many pies as you need. For this party, I made 3 pies per table.
3. With clay, I rolled it our like fondant and created my top pie crust. Each one was different since it was a contest after all. This is a fun project you can do with the kids, use cookie cutters or metal piping tips to cut out shapes. Roll out some berries or braid long pieces of clay to make the outer edge crust. Make them all unique and choose the best pie amongst the 3 and put a 1st place ribbon on one of them. So, every table with this theme should have 1 winner each.
Pie Baking Contest Centerpiece
The Grill Centerpiece
This centerpiece idea was not something that we bought from a store. This was made with an aluminum pan, spray painted the bottom, 3 aluminium rods, sprayed and tied together and plastic beads glued to the ends of the aluminum rods. The top grill was bought from our local hardware store.
We decided to put marshmallows on sticks to top the whole thing off.
Place the different centerpiece designs on alternating tables
Make sure that no two tables with the same design are close to each other. That is why it is important to have several designs of centerpieces so the table tops would look interesting and dynamic. Have them in different heights. Some should be taller than the rest. I usually do it Like this, small medium and large. The small ones are at least 10 inches tall, the medium ones about 14 inches tall and the tallest at 24 inches tall. It will look better in pictures.
It is ideal to decorate your ceiling!
My go to materials for ceiling decors
I use round balloons, linking balloons and mylar or foil balloons. I also use fabric swags and hanging accents like lanterns.
If you are unable to hang balloons or swags from the ceiling, do not fret, simply concentrate on the table centerpieces, the stage and the pocket areas. That will do just fine. As I have said, it is ideal but not having it will not ruin the party.
Hot air balloon lanterns
Make sure the cake also follows the theme
When having a cake made for your party, bring swatches and a reference
Show your baker the decorations you will be using for the party. Show them swatches so they can see your color scheme. If you have a sketch or basic design of the centerpieces or some of the decorations, show it to them so that they can incorporate some elements into the cake design. I usually do a 3-tiered cake for all my parties just because I like how it looks in pictures
Stage or focal point design
The team made a wooden booth as the focal point of this stage design. In front we had lots of baskets with faux vegetables. We also added a few barrels, wooden crates and jute sack.You can also create a booth or just a shell using a piece of painted plywood. For the canopy, I had mine printed. You can use fabric as well.
Complete the look by adding a lot of themed props
Vegetables and fruit props to complete the theme
Side shot of the cake on top of the booth
© 2020 Anna Javier