- Holidays and Celebrations»
Decorating For The Holidays
Decorating the house can be a hassle, but it can also be a fun, creative activity. Planning it out ahead can also help the process go quicker. If you want to break away from the same old "throw up some lights and plastic reindeer" routine, then here are a few decorating tips that will help you wow your neighbors with your christmas masterpiece.
1. Choose a theme. This will be the central idea that pulls your scene together. It can be a general motif expressed in numerous variations, or you can go for a specific Christmas scene (Santa's workshop, the nativity, Christmas tree next to fireplace, etc.)
2. Find decorations that fit your theme. If you cannot find them in a store, make them yourself. There are many craft stores that offer a wide selection of materials that can give your decorations a more professional look. If money is tight, you can also make festive decorations using everyday household supplies.
3. Decide beforehand where you want each decoration. Choosing the right location for each decoration is essential, because it helps the layout look more appealing. This will prevent the layout from looking rushed or sloppy.
4. Make it your own. If everybody on your block does the same Nativity scene or Santa's workshop scene, come up with some thing different and original. Instead of having Santa riding in his sleigh, have him in the stables observing his elves prepare his reindeer and sleigh (grooming the reindeer, polishing the sleigh, loading up presents, etc.)
By using these ideas, you will be well on your way to having the most creatively decorated house on the block.