Baby Shower Gift and Decoration - How to Make A Diaper Cake
A Diaper Cake is a Fun Gift and Decoration for a Baby Shower
A diaper cake is a tiered 'cake' shaped decoration made of rolled baby diapers and other items needed to welcome a baby into the world. It makes an amusing and attractive centerpiece for a baby shower as well as a practical gift for prospective parents. You can't have too many diapers!
The cake resembles a wedding cake and is usually made with three layers of rolled diapers. You can find diapers with decorated edging to make your baby shower decoration extra-pretty. I found some cute diapers with polka-dots.
Purchase ribbon that matches the colors that you use to decorate the shower. Or, if the baby's gender is known, use blue ribbon for a boy, or pink ribbon for a girl. If the gender is not known, or mom is just not telling, find ribbon colored with both pink and blue. Green is a popular color when giving a gift to a baby of unknown gender.
When you create your diaper cake, it is a lot easier if 2 people are working together; and a lot more fun too!
Items Needed to Make a Diaper Cake
- 60 or more diapers - we used more and made a really huge cake
- Ribbon - a roll of sturdy ribbon from a craft store, at least 1 inch wide. Also, you'll need a roll of thinner ribbon.
- Rubber Bands - you'll need some very large ones and a lot of small to medium sized
- 1 Bottle - baby bottle, or large bottle of baby lotion or baby shampoo
- Cake platter - cut a large circle out of cardboard, or some kind of stiff craft board
- Baby items to decorate the finished product (small toys, pacifiers, wash cloths, etc.)
How to Make a Diaper Cake
1st Layer -3 rings of diapers
- Unfold 35 or so newborn sized diapers. Roll up tight. Secure each rolled diaper with a rubber band.
- Place large bottle in center and circle with rolled diapers. Secure with large rubber band.
- Make another ring by repeating as above.
- Encircle first group of diapers and secure with large rubber band.
- Outer 1st layer - Roll diapers, making sure that the printed edge shows. Tie a small piece of the thinner ribbon around each diaper.
- Place the ribboned diapers around the edge, encircling the other diapers. Secure tightly with the wide ribbon.
2nd Layer - 2 rings of diapers
- Repeat as above, but only create 2 rings of diapers.
- Secure inner ring with a large rubber band.
- Secure each rolled diaper in the outer ring with thin ribbon. Encircle the whole outer ring with the wide ribbon. Tie tightly.
3rd and Top Layer
The top layer only needs one circle of diapers. Roll diapers and tie with thinner ribbon. Secorue top layer of diapers with the thicker ribbon.
Tuck small toys and baby items all around.