Awesome Disney Pumpkin Patterns for Halloween: Photos and Tips
In Frontierland of Disneyland, off the backside of the Thunder Mountain Railroad is a charming little petting zoo. During the month of October, an impressive array of gorgeous carved pumpkins are displayed in this area. Their styles and the skill with which they are made are astounding!
The pumpkins in this area are carved like all sorts of different Disney characters. Some are stencil silhouettes, others are deeply carved, and some are even painted.
Have a look at a few of the masterpieces- perhaps they will give you some inspiration for your next pumpkin carving endeavor!
Disney Pumpkin Stencils
Of all the styles presented in the display, the stenciled pumpkins are the easiest to reproduce. One can simply print out a template and trace guidelines into the pumpkin which one can either cut all the way through or shave around (as is the case in these photos).
To make the pumpkins last longer, the folks at Disneyland did not cut open and hollow out their pumpkins. This is a great option if you want to carve a pumpkin several days ahead of Halloween. You can even hollow out your pumpkin later on, scraping away the inside near where you shaved off the outer skin so that a light inside glows through the thin parts.
At the end of this article, I've plonked some links to the best sites for free disney pumpkin carving patterns that can be printed out and used as a guideline. It's amazing how easy it can be to re-create these looks!
More Elaborate Disney Pumpkin Carvings
The most impressive and elaborate pumpkins on display had been deeply carved with more advanced carpenter's tools. The most impressive gourds were large, which allowed for multiple characters to be carved into one space.
Some of the deeply carved pumpkins were also painted, which added a fabulous additional dimension.
A couple of the pumpkins on display even had other bits of pumpkin flesh attached to them to make up for extra parts. As you can see with the Captain Hook example, even a bit of black paper was added to finish the effect.
Free Disney Pumpkin Stencils
- Disney Family's Pumpkin Carving Patterns
These stencils are from an official Disney site- they're some of the best!
- DAPs Magic Disney Pumpkin Carving Patterns
Some good patterns from the unofficial Disney fan club
- Pumpkin Stencils: Disney Pumpkin Carving Patterns
These templates are simple and classic, plus easily printable
Disney Pumpkin Carving Tips
If these photos have inspired you to create a Disney Jack-o-lantern of your own, here's a summary of helpful tips to get you started on the right track:
- Start with a plan or template - either draw it directly on to the pumpkin or tape a printed template to the pumpkin and create a dotted line on the surface of the pumpkin by poking lines of tiny holes along the edges of the template with a pin.
- Pumpkin stencils can be used for cutting all the way through the pumpkin or just scraping off the surface; the latter options allows the decorative pumpkin to last longer.
- If you want the pumpkin to last longer, don't gut out the center (you can always do this later, right before Halloween when you want to light the center of the pumpkin.
- To add extra dimension to your pumpkins, add pipe cleaners, paper, hands, feet, or even additional pieces of carved pumpkin flesh.
- To make stencil carvings pop, add splashes of color with paint.
- If you're carving more deeply into the surface of your pumpkin, break out your wood carving tools - they are much more appropriate than basic knives!
Have you carved a Disney-themed pumpkin before?
I hope you've found these photos to be inspirational, and that you have fun with your pumpkin carving this year!
Have you carved a Disney-themed pumpkin before? What did you do and how did it come out?
Share your experiences in the comments! I'd love to hear about your pumpkin projects.