Easy Halloween Cookies: Ogre Fingers!
The first person who saw these freakish fingers when they came out of the oven said, “OK, that’s creepy!”
Some of them are so lifelike, your guests may wonder from whence they really came. And they look so involved, no one will know how really easy they are!
- 1 tube (16.5 oz.) Refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/3 c. All purpose flour
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 6 drops Yellow food coloring
- 2 drops Green food coloring
- Sliced almonds
- Red decorating gel, (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dough and flour with an electric mixer on low speed. Add the juice, zest and food coloring and continue mixing by hand to thoroughly incorporate the food coloring.
- Divide the dough in half; cover and refrigerate one half. Divide the half you’re working with in half again and form it into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a thin rope – about 3/8”. The dough will puff up when it bakes, so the thinner the better. No need for a rolling pin; just use your hands!
- Cut each rope into 3 or 4 inch lengths, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Pinch each piece of dough in the middle to form “knuckles” – the more gnarled the dough the better. With the back of a small knife, score each knuckle three or four times. Press a sliced almond into the tip of each finger. To get the look shown, for the “boy” fingers, cut the tip of each almond slice with a sharp paring knife to square off the “nail” before pressing into the dough. Leave the almond slice as is for the "girl" nails. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until just golden brown at the edges. Allow to rest on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. For the “girl” fingers, when completely cooled, paint each nail with red decorating gel.
- Celebrating | Smart Solutions
Find tips, recipes and inspiration to celebrate the holidays!