DIY Mother's Day Special Fold Card
Reasons to celebrate this month of May
Of all the 12 months in the year, the month of May is my favorite month of all. Every year, I look forward for this month as there are 4 special reasons for me to celebrate by getting ready my craft project materials.
First of all, it would be Labor Day which falls on 1st of May, secondly is Mother's Day which happens to be on the 12th May this year (2013) , thirdly is my hubby's birthday which I shouldn't disclose his birth date as men are prone to be very sensitive to personal issues and fourthly, my ex-schoolmate birthday. Many cards to create, aren't they?
Have you plan to do anything for your mom this Mother's Day?
Why you should handmade a Mother's Day Card
In this hub, I will be sharing with you how to make an easy homemade Mother's Day card which is half folded.
Whether you had purchased a store bought gift or completed a handmade gift for your mom, remember that a mother’s Day gift is never complete without a handmade Mother’s Day card.
Some people may prefer to purchase a store bought card to cut the hassle but I believe that any mom would genuinely appreciate a homemade Mother’s Day card especially made by her child’s own hands which is full with bundle of love, efforts to produce a creative card that is one of its’ kind and it doesn’t matter whether it is printed or handwritten either.
There are a vast range of Mother’s Day card ideas that can be found in Google websites when you key in the word “Mother’s Day card” in the Google images. I was awed by the beautifully taken photos.Nevertheless, majority of the cards require special color cards, laces and card making tools such as Cricut that may cost you spending unnecessary money.
If you are looking for a unique card that cost you nothing and gives you the opportunity to reuse your previous craft project supplies and materials, do consider making this easy handmade Mother’s Day Half Fold card that is definitely different from others.
This card celebrates Happy Mother’s Day to any mom from a mother-to-be, new mom, already sick and tired of the kids’ mom, getting old mom and a happy grandmother. It feels special and touched to receive a handmade card which is the one and only type, no one could ever have it.
Have a happy card making day!
Materials You Need:
- White matte card or 120gm white paper - 1 piece
- Pink construction paper or your mom's favorite color- 1 piece
- Assorted gift wrapper
- Print" Happy Mother's Day" on a darker pink paper- cut out the shape
- A pair of scissors or penknife
- A bottle of white glue
- Dark pink paper ( or your mom's favorite color) and print out a Mother's Day quote
- Firstly, use a pencil and a ruler to draw the out line of the white card 9” x 6.5” and cut it out with a penknife or a pair of scissors.
- If you don’t have a white card in hand, you could substitute it with an A4 paper which weighs 120gm, a little heavier than the normal A4 paper that weighs 70gm-80gm.
- It is compulsory for the front card to be heavier as it does not tear apart easily and could at least stand on its own compare to light weight card which is rather flimsy.
- Next, fold the white card into 1/2.
- Thereto, fold the front card into 1/2. face inwards, using your thumb and index finger to make a permanent crease horizontally.
- Hence, you will have a half fold card for a start.
- Next，choose your mom’s favorite color.
- My mom likes pink and red, indicate the feminine side of most ladies.
- I chose light pink for the background of the inside card as I will need to use the darker pink later on.
- Again, draw the outline of the pink construction paper measuring 4.5” x 6.5” and cut it out.
- Apply a little glue along the four sides of the pink paper and paste it in the middle of the inner card.
- Make sure that you paste the pink paper nicely in the middle as you will create 4 white borders.
- Use your ruler to spread even the pink paper so that there aren't any air bubbles beneath it.
- From your left-over gift wrapper, choose 3 different patterns or designs that matches the background of the inner card.
- Since mine is light pink, I chose fluttery heart shapes and flowers of pink-red flowers that contrast well with pink.
- I had purposely chose a gift wrapper with the wordings " I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY LOVE" but it isn't compulsory if you can't find any.
- Use the pencil to draw any shape that you like around the chosen gift wrappers.
- I prefer hexagon shape which is broad and spacious.
- After I had drawn the hexagon shapes on 3 different designs of gift wrapper, snip off the hexagon sides.
- The hexagon size vary upon your size preference.
- Next, paste each hexagon gift wrapper on top of the excess pink paper.
- Cut the pink paper along the hexagon sides.
- Remember to leave some space in between them.
- Once you have cut them out, you will notice that each of the hexagon gift wrapper is a little thicker, not too flimsy, right?
- Choose one hexagon design paper and flip it over ( the pink paper will be facing upwards)
- Apply a little white glue on the right hand side only. Do not spread it all over.
- Flip it back again. Now the hexagon design is facing upwards.
- Paste the hexagon at the edge of the front card, just along the creased side. ( See photo for better understanding )
- Noticed that half of the hexagon is left hanging in the air? I purposely left it this way in order to resemble the Oscar nominee card that you usually see celebrities held in their hands during Oscar awards. Brilliant, isn’t it?
- Choose another hexagon design and apply some white glue behind it.
- This time, spread it out generously.
- Flip it over and paste it on the left hand side of the front card, parallel to the 1st hexagon.
- Repeat the same procedure for the other hexagon design on the right hand side, on the light pink paper.
- Use a pencil to draw heart, depending on the size that you prefer, onto the front card, just at the bottom edge, right hand side of the card.
- Flip open the front card so that it will spread out to full size.
- Use a pair of sharp scissors or penknife to cut out the heart shape.
- Hence, you won't cut the other side which you will need later to seal up the hole.
- Choose another gift wrapper with different design and cut out a heart shape which is larger than the hole.
- Press down the front card where you can see the cut out heart shape behind the card.
- Apply a little white glue around the side of the cut out heart.
- Paste the gift wrapper over the hole. Make sure that the design is facing down while the plain side is facing upwards.
- Hence, when you flip over the front card, you could see the heart is filled with gift wrapper design.
- Use a marker of any color to draw the heart shape along the cut out heart.
- Apply some white glue along the sides behind the card.
- Press down the creased card so that it will form a half fold card.
- There, the first part of the half fold card is done !
Mother's Day Quote
- Best Loved Quotes, Poems and Verses for Mother's Day
Don't know what to say to your mom on Mother's Day? Use these Mother's Day Poems , Quotes and Verses on your Mother's Day Cards, to express your love and appreciation to your mom. Be choosy. Choose the words that suits your mom, how you feel.
- Print out the words “ Happy Mother’s Day “ on a darker pink construction paper or your mom’s favorite color.
- Test out different fonts and the font size on the Wordpad before printing. You could choose the Italic, Freestyle Script and Bradley hand ITC fonts for creativity. If you mom prefer plain text, go for Verdana, Arial or Comic Sans which are commonly used for clearer text and tidy format.
- Use the scissors to cut out the words but don’t separate them.
- Cut the three words together, leaving some space in between them.
- If you have a color printer, use different font color or background to add more bright and contrast color to the card.
- Arrange the location of the “Happy Mother’s Day” on the pink paper.
- Make sure that the word “Happy” is well hidden so that “Mother’s Day” could only be seen.
- Apply some white glue behind the wordings and paste it well.
- Try flip open the front card. can you see the word "Happy"? Well hidden, right?
- Choose a Mother's Day quote that suits your mom.
- My mother is not highly educated but could read some simple English. So, I chose this Mother's Day quote to show her how much I care and love her no matter what happen to her.
- On the same dark pink construction paper, print out the Mother's Day quote. Use any font that you prefer.
- I would suggest that you try the simple font, non cursive type as it will be much clearer for your mom to read if she is shortsighted. I used Verdana, simple and clear.
- Cut out a rectangle shape or any shape that you like along the sides of the quote.
- However, make sure that the size is well hidden behind the front card as the main purpose is to hide the Mother's Day quote.
- Apply generously the white glue behind the paper, along 4 sides of the rectangle.
- Aim properly the location before pasting it. Locate it on the left hand side of the inside card. Make sure it is well hidden behind the front card.
- It wouldn't look nice to unstuck the paper and repaste it again.
- Use the ruler to spread across the quote.
- Make sure there isn't any "bubbles' underneath it.
Final picture... this is how the card looks from inside
Peachpurple Mother's Day Cards and Ideas
- Unique Gifts: How to make Easy Paper Rose Flower
Make this year Mother's Day a special day by making your own handmade gifts for your mom. Handmade Paper Rose Flower is easy and can last all year. It is inexpensive and lovely too.
- 5 Easy Handmade Mother's day Gift Ideas
Are you searching for easy to make Mother's Day gift ideas? In this article, I have selected 5 easy handmade Mother's Day gift ideas which are creative and easy to make gifts from recycle items.
- Mother's Day Card Idea
I get many ideas on how to make Mother's Card from many bloggers and hubbers . I find that copy the same idea isn't the best way to give mom this special card. Hence, I created my very own card with Google Images as a reference. You can get many Moth
- How To Make Pop-Up Mother's Day Card
Mothe'rs Day card is not hard to do if you use just a little trick to change a simple card into a pop-up card. You don't have to give her actual flowers because this card comes with flowers too.
A Mother's Day Song
© 2013 peachy