Father´s Day In Germany
Vatertag / Father´s Day
Tomorrow, the 14th of May is Father´s Day here in Germany. I forgot about it until I saw the telly, telling me what holiday we will be having. Yes, Father´s Day is a public holiday in Germany. No work, no school and no shops open. Well, the restaurants are and some amusement centers.
After listening to the telly, I thought, why not write Father´s Day hub. I have already written about Mother´s Day, so why not write about how we celebrate this holiday in Germany. Fathers are also important in our lives. I know it´s not of the same date we celebrate this all over the world and I know most of the other countries don´t have this day as an official public holiday like we have.
Food For Father´s Day Party or PicnicClick thumbnail to view full-size
Facts About Vatertag / Father´s Day
- Germans Father´s Day is celebrated on Ascension Day which is called Christi Himmelfahrt in German language. The day when Jesus ascended to heaven to meet God, the Heavenly Father, after His crucifixion.
- It started in the Middle Ages when the catholic religious people honoured God, the Almighty Father by having a procession in town on the Ascension day, which is the 40th day after Easter.
- It is celebrated on Thursday, a few days after the Mother´s Day which is the second Sunday of the month of May.
- It is an official public holiday in Germany where almost everything is closed like the shops, offices and schools.
- Nowadays, Father´s Day is not only celebrated for the fathers but also for all men, single, father or not.
- Starting from the 17th century, the catholic Ascension Day celebration becomes a family bonding day to honour the bonds of fathers to his children.
- Nowadays, Vatertag or Father´s Day is strongly commercialized and it became a day to get drunk. A booze day for some men. A lot of beers are consumed on this day of the year.
- A day when the drivers are strictly controlled and a day when plenty of accidents occur in the streets.
Things The Germans Do On Father´s Day
- It is a family bonding day of some of the Germans. Those who have small children enjoy the day by celebrating it in a park where children can play. Some are having great time by having a grill or barbecue party in their garden.
- Fathers with adult children might have a get away party or a bicycle / bus tour with their adult children. Some of them are having a hiking or walking tour in a park or in the woods and pulling the Bollerwagen ( a wooden handcart) with them, with loads of alcoholic beverages and some food in it. (Check the you tube video below.)
- Single men celebrate Vatertag with their male friends in the park and their fully packed Bollerwagen or they enjoy it in the pub. It´s time for them to get drunk.
- Vatertag is a holiday to get boozed which is very frightening to think of when men think they can still drive a car.
Walking on Father´s Day!
How do you celebrate Father´s Day as a father?
Have you vote?
Which one of the above you have choosen to vote? For me, family bonding at home or having a picnic in the park with my family is the best of all. I am glad that my hubby does not like celebrating Vatertag / Father´s Day with a booze as it would be horrible for me as I don´t like the smell of a drunk man. Father´s Day is just a normal day for us.
BBQ at Home
Ideas For A BBQ Party At Home
Chicken Wings or Legs
Cakes, cupcakes, cakepops
Peanuts and other nuts
Gift Ideas for Father´s Day
Buying a gift for a man is very difficult compared to buying a gift for a woman unless you know him very well. Of course, family bonding is one of the best gifts a son or daughter can give to a father. Here are some gift ideas.
- A bottle of his favourite wine.
- His favourite after shave or perfume.
- A CD or video of a movie he would love to see.
- Pajama or T-shirt
- Something for his hobby like a painting colour when his hobby is painting.
- Seeds when he is a hobby gardener.
- A book he would love to read.
Restaurants and PlacesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Thank you very much for reading. Do you have your Father´s Day this month in your country? Do you celebrate it the way we do here in Germany or do you have another tradition? I will update this hub every now and then when I find something I can add. Please don´t forget to comment. Have a lovely day!
HAPPY FATHER´S DAY!!!
Sources: You Tube Videos and Wikipedia.
Father´s Day Video
The Modern Father´s Day Celebration
© 2015 Thelma Alberts