- Holidays and Celebrations»
- United States Holidays
Festive Labor Day Appetizers
Have a safe, fun picnic anytime
Anytime Time is a Good Time for a Picnic
Whether spring has finally sprung, summer is in full swing or at its end once again, anytime is a good time for a picnic. Picnics should not involve a lot of money or time. There are many simple ways to enjoy eating out of doors and listed below are a only few recipes to help the cause for an enjoyable picnic.
When picnic times roll around keep in mind the safe preparation and storage of foods. This is vital to assure no one becomes ill from wrongly stored and prepared foods.
Hot dogs, apple pie, lemonade and plenty of festive appetizers makes up a wonderful picnic. Keep family, friends and guests content nibbling on appetizers while the hot dogs are on the grill.
Wherever there are picnics, there are children. Simple foods are the best picnic foods to prepare and take along. Picnic appetizers should be prepared in the theme of the day's celebrations. The good old red, white and blue colors incorporated with food appetizers only makes the picnic more fun and enjoyable for adults and children, for a Memorial or fourth of July celebration. Listed are some simple and easy fun appetizers for a Memorial Day celebration.
1. Stars and Stripes (Rice Krispies Treats)
1. 3-Tablespoons butter
2. 1-10-ounce package marshmallows
3. 6-Cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal
1. In a large pan, melt the butter using a low heat. When melted, add marshmallows and stir until melted and remove from heat.
2. Add the Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal and stir until the cereal coats well with the marshmallow mixture
3. Butter a spatula and press the mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2 buttered pan
1. Red, white and blue frostings decorate the top of the cereal in the form of the United States Flag
2. Divide the marshmallow and cereal mixture into three different bowls, add red and blue food coloring to two, and leave the third bowl without food coloring. Arrange one bowl of cereal at a time into a 13 x 9 x 2 buttered pan. Arrange cereal into three different rows, so that when you cut the treats there are red, white and blue colors in each piece.
3. Divide cereal into three bowls, color one red and one blue, and leave the third color plain. Press cereal one bowl at a time out on a large piece of waxed paper and cut into star shapes. Run a stick (found in baking aisle) into each treat and arrange in a glass vase. Cover lightly with food wrap.
4. Do not use food coloring. Cut out stars in the plain cereal and pipe frosting around each star, using red on one, blue on one and white frosting on one. Run a wooden skewer through the star and arrange in a vase.
2. Vegetable Pizza
1. 2-8-Ounce packages of cream cheese
2. 1-teaspoon fresh squeeze lemon juice
3 . 1-Teaspoon fresh dill
4. One finely diced garlic clove
Mix all three ingredients in a bowl and chill while preparing the pizza ingredients
1. 1-Medium sized finely diced carrot
2. 1-Small finely diced onion
3. 1-Regular finely diced tomato, skinned
4. 1/2 small lettuce head shredded
5. 1- small finely diced green pepper
6. 1-8-ounce package mozzarella cheese
7. 1-regular sized pizza dough
Spread cream cheese mixture on pizza dough. Place lettuce over cream cheese, add vegetables as desired, top with shredded cheese, and serve cold.
Options: Fruit Pizza
Top cream cheese with a variety of fruits such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi and whatever desired.
What is a picnic without grilled hot dogs? The following are three simple hot dogs prepared the way our family likes to eat them. Purchase a number of American flags on a stick and run the sticks through the hot dogs
1. Maca Weenies
Prepare a quick-boxed macaroni and cheese. Velveeta macaroni and cheese is what we use. Grill the dogs and place a good spoonful of macaroni and cheese on top. Add desired condiments such as ketchup.
2. Dogs with Coats
Wrap each dog up in a piece of thick sliced bacon and grill; when the bacon looks crisp, top with chosen condiments such as sweet onions, Swiss cheese, sweet relish, mustard, ketchup etc.
3. The American Hot Dog
Simply put the good old American hot dog is sweet pickles, ketchup, mustard and sweet onion.
4. The Mini-Weenie
Purchase a small bag of cocktail sausages and a can of crescent dinner rolls. Cut each roll in half, wrap the sausage in the roll, and bake. Take to the picnic to nibble on while the hot dogs are on the grill.