- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Birthdays & Celebrations
Fun Ideas to Celebrate and Honor Star Wars Day
May the 4th Be With You
Star Wars Day
"May the force be with you."
A well-known quote from the popular movie, Star Wars, that line was the beginning of why May fourth is celebrated as the unofficial "Star Wars Day" by fans. (May the fourth be with you)...clever!
I had no idea about the importance of May fourth for Star Wars fans nor the significance of the entire Month of May in general for the movie. I now know since I have been doing some research into it for my son, who is having a Lego Star Wars themed birthday party. Coincidentally, I planned the party for May 4th and at the time, I did not realize it was the perfect day to have it!
I am learning so much and am determined not to be out of the loop when it comes to the things my children are interested in as they grow. It has been a fun learning experience so far for these past couple of weeks as I prepare for his upcoming birthday celebration. I wanted to share some tidbits of what I have learned and ideas on how you can celebrate Star Wars Day, too.
Grab a Pool Noodle to Make a Lightsaber
Here's another Lightsaber You Might Like:
Star Wars Paper Crafts
Fun Ways to Honor Star Wars Day
There are plenty of ways you can honor Star Wars Day. If you are already a fan of Star Wars, then I am sure you have your own ideas of how to celebrate. For those like me, who have children, a spouse or special someone who are fans, then here are some ways you might want to make the day special for them:
- Play games pertaining to Star Wars
- Watch the movies
- Read books
- Research Star Wars facts and history
- Celebrate with food with a nod toward Star Wars
- Make costumes and cosplay
- For kids, look up free games, crafts and printables on-line
- Schedule a meet up somewhere with friends who are also fans while wearing your costumes
- Wear your costume everywhere you go for the whole day
- Recite Star Wars' quotes
- Discover something new about Star Wars you didn't already know by researching
- Be a part of social media parties and discussions about Star Wars
- Write a piece of fan fiction
- Draw, paint, create something fan fiction about the movie
Read About Star Wars Characters
Star Wars Characters
Use the Force
Will you be celebrating Star Wars Day on May 4th?
How to Make Homemade Lightsabers
I realize that you cannot celebrate Star Wars without lightsabers being an important part of it. For my son's party, I looked up some ways to make homemade lightsabers. I decided to make them three ways for three different purposes.
- One way I made them was to use an empty tube of wrapping paper and put green tissue paper around it. I found free print outs for lightsaber designs on the internet. You can find the same ones here at Star Wars Crafts, Recipes and Activities for Kids. I glued one of the designs to one end of the tube over the tissue paper. Easy and quick! This one will be used to hit the pinata at the party.
- Next, I made a smaller red lightsaber using one of the other lightsaber prints from the same site. I plan to just give this one away as a prize for another game we will be playing.
- The larger lightsabers for the kids to play with during the whole party and for the other games are ones made from pool noodles. They are soft, colorful and easy to make, too. Start with deciding on how long you would like your lightsaber to be, cut it using a sharp knife. We laid them on the floor and put a cutting board underneath where we wanted to cut. You do not have to apply much pressure at all since the material is easy to cut. Next, we used gray duct tape to wrap around one end of the lightsaber. Use black electric tape to design over the duct tape. I kept mine pretty simple but you can decide how detailed you would like it.
Need Scissors for Your Star Wars' Crafts?
Star Wars Printables
Don't Forget Lightsabers!
Star Wars Game Ideas
Here are some game ideas you can play to celebrate:
- Make up a trivia game.
- Charades with the characters from Star Wars.
- Play Star Wars' video games and board games.
- For kids, you can blow up some balloons and have them keep the balloons in the air with their lightsabers.
- Unfreeze Hans Solo with water guns.
- Endure some Jedi training by passing a series of test, maybe create an obstacle course to complete.
- Act out Star Wars scenes.
- Recite quotes and guess who said it.
Star Wars Food Ideas to Honor Star Wars Day
Mini lightsabers: chocolate-covered pretzels
Ewok treats: different desserts
Chocolate-covered pretzel sticks
Hutt dogs: hot dogs
Trooper Scoopers: Chips for dip
Hans burgers: burgers
Thermal detonators: hot food like meatballs
Princess Lays: chips
Play Games to Celebrate Star Wars
Quick Star Wars History and Facts
- Obi-Wan Kanobi said, "May the force be with you," to Anakin Skywalker. This is an expression said by members of the Jedi High Council that wishes goodluck or good-bye to someone who is about to face a challenge or when two parties are about to part (May the Force Be With You, Wookiepedia).
According to StarWars.com, some reasons why May is significant for Star Wars:
- May 25, 1977 was the debut of the first movie
- George Lucas' birthday is May 14 (creator of Star Wars)
- Lucas' birthday has been the traditional start date of Star Wars weekends at Disney World Resort.
Some fun facts you may not know as illustrated by30 Star Wars' Facts You Didn't Know:
- A monkey was meant to play Yoda, wearing a mask and carrying a cane.
- In the original trilogy, Ewok was not spoken.
- Lucas was considering Luke turning toward the Dark Side at the end of Return of the Jedi.
- The boy band, 'N Sync almost made an appearance in Attack of the Clones but did not make it in the final cut.
- A combination of Nepolese and Tibetan make up the Ewok language.
- The limited edition Star Wars collectible coins are accepted by the South Pacific island, Niue, as real money.
- Instead of a slug, Jabba the Hut was supposed to be furry.
Star Wars Message from NASA
I hope I got all these facts and tidbits right as I wrote this. If not, please forgive me as I have just begun my journey and am emerging from the 'Dark Side'...I know Star Wars fans out there are shaking their heads right now and probably my little boy, too! I had fun writing this and learning about Star Wars.
What are some ways you might celebrate Star Wars Day?
May the force be with you!
You Might Also Like:
- Easy Frugal Ideas for a Kid's Birthday Party
Hosting parties are a fast way to spend a lot of money. Here are tips and ideas to throw a thrifty but fun party for the kids on their birthday.
- Fun Things to do to Celebrate Mom
Mother's Day is coming up fast. Do you have a plan or do you need more ideas to celebrate Mom's special day? Check out these suggestions for things to do that Mom will appreciate.
- Fun Things To Do with Dad or for Your Dad on Father's Day
Father's Day is a day to honor dad and show him how much you appreciate him. Make him feel loved with these tips to celebrate dad on Father's Day or any day of the year.