- Holidays and Celebrations
Grandparents Day Celebrations (2018)
This year Grandparents day is on 9 September 2018
About Grandparents Day
Grandparents day, also called National Grandparents day, is celebrated on the first Sunday following labor day, every year in the U.S. and Canada.
In Britain, normally, Grandparents day is celebrated on the 1st Sunday in the month of October every year.
Why Is Grandparents Day Celebrated?
Grandparents day is celebrated to honor grandparents. It is an occasion to tell our grandparents how much they are loved and adored and also their importance in our lives. This celebration gives an opportunity to us to express our love and appreciation for the role they have played in our lives.
Grandparents day is a time for celebration and reunion of the family as well.
How Is Grandparents Day Celebrated?
Parties and picnics are organised by the grandchildren to make grandparents feel special on this occasion. Gifts and presents are given to them to appreciate the love and affection, care, support and wisdom that they have provided to the grandchildren.
This day also offers the opportunity for grandparents to express their love for grandchildren.
Grandparents Day Facts & Trivia
The forget-me-not flower is the official flower for the U.S. Grandparents day since 1999.
The song " A song for Grandma & grandpa" by singer and songwriter, Johnny Prill is the official song for U.S.Grandparents day since 2004.
September was chosen as the month for celebrating Grandparents day to symbolize the autumn years of the lives of grandparents and elders.
Among the countries that celebrate Grandparents day are : United States, United Kingdom, Canada, India, Australia, France, Italy, Poland, Estonia, Singapore and Taiwan.
National Grandparents Day Song - Johnny Prill
The Origin Of Grandparents Day
Marian McQuade of West Virginia first proposed the National Grandparents Day by starting a campaign in 1970 to dedicate a day to honor grandparents. She is recognised as the founder of the National Grandparents Day in the U.S.
With the support of the Church, civic groups, businesses and political leaders it led to the signing of a federal proclamation by the then U.S. President, Jimmy Carter, in 1978 and the first National Grandparents Day was celebrated on September 9, 1979.
Before this, the first Grandparents day was observed in 1973 in West Virginia.
Grandparents Day Gift Ideas
If you are one of the lucky ones to have grandparents living let this opportunity be a time to let them know how special they are in your life and how much you care for them. Giving them gifts that they will love and use will further strengthen the bond of love that binds you to them.
Here are some gift ideas for Grandparents day.
- Make it happen - Drop in and spend some quality time with your grandparents today. They will cherish this for a long time. With life being as busy as it is, this special occasion is a blessing in disguise and this gesture would probably be the greatest gift they would love to have.
Talking to them, hearing them out will make their faces beam with a smile you won't easily forget either.
- Gift a picture of yourself - What a better gift for your grandparents on this day to find a beautifully framed picture of the grandkids for them to receive and cherish on this occasion.
- Apart from the above you can give them handmade gifts made specially by you for this occasion. It will also show that you rally cared to take out time to put together the handmade gift.
Just go ahead and do it and see the glow on their faces.
- Next in line could be some gifts that can be used daily. Something that both grandma and grandpa use in their day to day activities. This will not only be a thoughtful gesture but will make them smile and remember you fondly each time they are used.
Some Of My Other Hubs On Celebrations
- Do You Know Your Mom? How Well Do You Know Your Mother?
Your mom knows everything about you but do you know all about your mother? Find out how well you know your mother, by reading on...
- Teachers Day Celebration 2013 - Teachers Appreciation Day
Teachers day in India, is celebrated to honor and thank teachers for their contribution to society , to the field of education and to shaping the character and career of students. To know more, read on...
- What Day Is Fathers Day 2013 And Later Dates - Fathers Day Gift Ideas
Fathers Day is celebrated in most countries of the world on the third Sunday of June every year.Read about how you can make this day memorable for your father or the father figure you adore...
Grandparents' Day Celebration
© 2013 Rajan Singh Jolly