- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Great Gift Ideas for Mothers Day
Mothers Day is a special time of the year that gives us all the opportunity to express our love, respect and gratitude to our mothers for everything they’ve done and continue to do for us.
Interesting Facts About Mothers Day
Have you ever wondered how the Mother's Day holiday originated? Below are 5 interesting facts about the holiday that you may not have heard of before. Then I’ll share awesome Mothers Day gift ideas with you for this upcoming Mothers Day.
- The roots of Mother's Day go back to the ancient festivals dedicated to the Mother Goddess that were celebrated in ancient Greece and Rome.
- Historians believe that the early church adopted the ancient Roman ceremonies honoring the Mother Goddess, Cybele, in order to venerate Mother Mary.
- During the 1600s, England observed Mothering Sunday on the fourth Sunday in Lent. On Mothering Sunday, those working away from home would return with small gifts and flowers for their mothers.
- The custom of Mothering Sunday became more widespread during the 19th century. The day was celebrated with a festive mood and a sugary and spicy dish called frumenty, which is made from wheat grains boiled in sweet milk.
- The driving force behind Mother's Day in the U.S. was Anna Jarvis. She organized observances in Grafton, WV, and Philadelphia in 1908. As the annual celebration became popular around the country, Jarvis asked members of Congress to set aside a day to honor mothers. She finally succeeded in 1914, when Congress designated the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day.
Mothers Day Gift Ideas
Getting something nice for your mother on Mother's day can be tricky. I tend to stay away from kitchen items and appliances because they seem to say, "We want you to work harder for us mom!" I know some people give flowers every year, and if your mom loves flowers, then go for it. But if you've given flowers every year for the past five years, you might try to find something that shows a little more thought being put into it. Here are several categories of Mothers Day gift ideas that should really touch mom's heart this upcoming Mothers day.
Mothers Day Gift Ideas Category #1 - Jewelry
Jewelry is ALWAYS a pleasant surprise for mom. Personalized pendants, bracelets, watches and necklaces all are perfectly lovely. Since gold prices are through the roof right now, you might consider silver instead for this year.
Mothers Day Gift Ideas Category #2 - Collectibles
Collectibles can make an excellent and sentimental gift for mom. Many people have a passion for figurines and other things that can be collected, and you should know if your mom is one of these people or not.
Mothers Day Gift Ideas Category #3 - Technology
If you're mom is a little on the hip and "younger" side, she might really enjoy getting a gift of technology. For instance, did you know that the Kindle electronic reading device is the the #1 bestselling, #1 most-gifted, #1 most-wished-for product on Amazon? Your mother would probably love it!
Mothers Day Gift Ideas Category #4 - Gift Baskets
I love receiving a gift basket, especially when it's piled high with goodies you can't even see at first glance. It's like being given a treasure chest of sorts.
Happy Mothers Day
Hopefully one of the Mothers Day gift ideas above will turn out to be the perfect gift to get your mom this year. You can find other top selling Mothers Day gift ideas HERE. Hope you find that perfect something that will make mom happy!