Halloween Group Costume Ideas
Halloween is coming up and if you happen to work for a company that allows, or even encourages, its employees to dress up, then you've come to the right place for some ideas. Be sure to check the links at the bottom for some group costume ideas and ideas for kids, pets, and more.
There are several things to consider when planning your costume if you're trying to create a group theme. You will want to consider the following:
- How big is the group that will be participating? Does the size lend itself to specific themes? For instance, having a group of 5 allows you to chose a theme that uses a poker hand such as dressing up as a Royal Flush with each participant coming as a different playing card within the hand (Ace, King, Queen, Jack, Ten). A group of three might choose Three Blind Mice or the Three Musketeers.
- Does someone in the group resemble someone famous? Sometimes someone in your group closely resembles someone from a popular movie or TV show. You can use this to your advantage if they are willing to play along.
- Think about the personalities within your group. More reserved people may prefer to dress up like cartoon or storybook characters. More outgoing people may prefer to dress up as super heroes or loud or flashy characters.
- Does the group perform a function at the office that you can incorporate into your theme? For instance, IT people are often stereotyped as geeks with pocket protectors. Sometimes, they get a kick out of exaggerating this feature and dressing the part. Sometimes a group is known as the "enforcers" and they may enjoy coming as witches.
- Sometimes the type of jobmay dictate comfort. Obviously, a more physical job requires more consideration for safety when choosing a costume. A desk job requires you to be able to sit comfortably in your costume. One with a lot of walking requires good visibility and comfortable shoes.
- Your workplace may have a strict dress code. Make sure the costume you chose doesn't get you fired or sent home for breaking an office dress code or policy. Halloween is about having fun.
- Does the group work in the same area and does this area lend itself to unique or unusual decorating ideas? Sometimes the work area may remind you of a something that allows you to create a theme around it. An example is: our workspace had walkways that meandered around reminding someone of the Candyland board game. The workers then put brightly colored squares on the floor and each dressed as Candyland characters.
TV-Related Group Halloween Costume Ideas
These are a few TV-related group Halloween Costume Ideas:
- MTV's America's Best Dance Crew Contestants: If you have a young energetic group, you may want to dress up as a dance crew. A group easy to resemble would be the Jabbawockeez with their plain white masks.
- Dancing with the Stars contestants: Great for mixed groups where you have the ability to put people into couples.
- Popular TV Show families and friends: The Beverly Hillbillies, The Simpsons, Roseanne, The Cosby's, Cheers, Gilligan's Island, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, Taxi, I Love Lucy, etc.
- TV Game shows: You can have hosts and guests on The Price is Right, Let's Make a Deal, Wheel of Fortune, Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, etc.
- American Idol or America's Got Talent Judges and Contestants: You can have some portraying judges, some portraying popular winners and contestants from previous years, and some portraying really bad new talent.
Storybook and Nursery Rhyme-Related Group Halloween Costume Ideas
These are a few Storybook character and Nursery rhyme-related group Halloween Costume Ideas:
- Dr Seuss Characters: Dr. Seuss has many memorable characters, but you can create many more in his same style.
- Little Bo Peep: This is a relatively easy one to do. You usually only need to create a shepherd's staff and 3-4 fluffy white or black sheep to accompany Little Bo Peep,
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Obviously, this theme lends itself well to a group of 8. Let the personalities of the group determine which one gets which character.
- Hey Diddle Diddle-This works well for a group of four or five. You can have a cat with a fiddle, a moon, a cow, a dish and a spoon.
This group of ideas are based off popular movies;
- Gone with the Wind-a chance for the gang to wear southern belle costumes
- Wizard of Oz-the theme allows for a great bunch of characters. You can have Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and the Scarecrow. Then your secondary characters are the Wicked Witch, Glenda, the Good Witch, flying monkeys, the Wizard, munchkins, etc.
- The Breakfast Club-this is a cute theme for younger people who probably haven't even seen the popular 80s movie.
- Star Wars & Star Trek-fun theme for character acting.
- Men in Black or Blues Brothers-fun idea if you have a couple of guys who really enjoy wearing suits and wearing sunglasses.
- Harry Potter-the Harry Potter series of movies has many characters to choose from. Our office utilized this theme a couple of years ago and we probably had 40 people participating and we didn't have two of any character.
- Alice in Wonderland-this is a fun idea for a group of people where the decorations are almost as fun.
- Pirates of the Caribbean-this your chance to really play up the pirate theme.
- Toy Story-this is a great movie to re-create characters from. You have Woody, Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head, Buzz Lightyear, Slinky Dog, Toy Soldiers, Mutant toys and many more.
- Grease-fun theme to incorporate 50s themed decorations and costumes. You can choose to have a pajama party or recreate a sock-hop atmosphere.
Music-Related Costume Ideas
Music-related costume ideas include:
- The Village People-cute idea for a group of 4-6 (characters include the police officer, the Native American Indian, the cowboy, the biker, the construction worker, and the G.I.)
- Rock Bands-80s hairbands are always fun to imitate along with Madonna, Cindy Lauper, KISS, Cher, Michael Jackson, etc.
- Music Videos-you can choose to dress up like characters from popular music videos. Anything by Lady Gaga and Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and "Beat It" come to mind.
- Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers-lots of people like to do exaggerated caricatures of these famous country artists. You can throw in other miscellaneous country stars that co-workers might resemble.
- Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons-A fun twist on this one would be for four people to dress as Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.
More Halloween Hubs by KCC Big Country
- Halloween Make-up Tutorials
Halloween is a fantastic time to get creative with make-up tricks. Make-up can create a one-of-a-kind look that you'll find everyone admiring. Creating a striking look with make-up deserves attention. With...
- Halloween Dog Costumes
Halloween is such a fun time to dress up. Have you noticed that dressing up for Halloween is not just limited to kids anymore? More and more adults dress up and now even pets are dressing up. There are...
- Halloween Infant Costumes
Both of my children had early November birthdays so that meant they were almost 1 year old when Halloween rolled around. This also meant both of my children were already walking by their first Halloween. I...
- Halloween Costume Ideas for Adults
Have you ever noticed that adult Halloween costumes or the 'one size fits most" adult costumes seem to be designed for 12 year old flat-chested girls around 4 ft. tall? What do you do if you're over 5 feet...
- Halloween Costume Ideas Appropriate to Wear to Work
Go as Dominoes for Halloween I've been fortunate to work for employers who enjoy giving back to the community and enjoy the fun of Halloween. One employer participated in hosting a trick-or-treating event...
- Hot Halloween Make-up Tutorials
Halloween is my favorite holiday. It's because it is the one day that your imagination is free to run wild. Anything goes. Well, almost. For as far back as I can remember, I've always marveled at really...
- Pumpkin Carving
Halloween has been observed for centuries. Pumpkin carving began when the Celtics would carve turnips or gourds that they would display on their porch or windowsill to welcome deceased loved ones and act...
Traditional Halloween Themes
The following is a list of traditional Halloween group themes:
- Witches-you can stick with the wart-faced hag-type witches or go for a sweet more colorful witch. Find or make a cauldron. Have traditional broomsticks or opt for modernized versions using the Swiffer or stick vacuums for a laugh.
- Ghosts & Mummies-many an old white sheet has been transformed into a ghost or a mummy with a few snips of the scissors.
- Vampires-a black cape and some fangs with a few drops of fake blood, and some pasty make-up work wonders for creating the vampire look.
- Frankenstein & Monsters-Frankenstein is a great character to portray, but just about any ghoulish monster you can dream up works well too.
Other Costume Ideas
More costume ideas for a group are:
- McDonald's Happy Meal-Turn a cubicle, office, or area into a McDonald's Happy Meal box. Participants can then dress up as Happy Meal toys (Ty beanie babies, Barbie dolls, Transformers, any movie character), McDonald's fries, burgers, drinks, nuggets, etc.
- A Bee Hive-fun way to have a boss (the queen bee wearing a crown) and her worker bees (wearing hard-hats and tool belts).
- Hospital Staff-a great opportunity to dress up as doctors and nurses. Some people can be patients.
- Sports teams or Team Fans-a great way for a group to wear the favorite team's jerseys. They can either portray the players themselves or crazy fans. You could also play cheerleaders of this group. A popular example might be Dallas Cowboy fans and Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders.
- 7 Deadly Sins-The seven deadly sins is a popular choice for groups of 7. They are Envy/Jealousy, Sloth, Greed, Wrath, Gluttony, Lust and Pride/Vanity.
- Circus-A circus theme has so many possibilities. You can have a ringmaster. You can have trapeze artists, you can have animals of all kinds. Clowns are a given.
- Cowboys and Indians or Pilgrims and Indians-the Thanksgiving feast with pilgrims and Indians can be a cute theme for a group that hasn't been done much.
- 20s Gangsters and Flapper Girls-This can be a cute idea for groups that like to dress sharply. You can have gangsters with machine guns and flapper girls.