- Holidays and Celebrations»
Halloween Party Themes for Adults
Halloween Party Ideas for Adults
Children are generally just happy to have a chance to dress up as their favourite thing whether it's a superhero or a seagull - themes don't work for them so well because they have their own, very definite, ideas. Many adults on the other hand are often a bit too self-concious to do their own thing; they like some guidance just in case they get it "wrong". A themed party is ideal because it gives people direction and makes them happy because they know that they won't be the only vampire in a room full of Muppets (or vice versa). In addition, themes are perfect for hosts who are just that little bit OCD; it makes everything so much tidier if there's a common theme.
If you want to make your guests happy and secure, or you just want to keep your party looking pretty, here are some Halloween party themes for adults.
Halloween Party Invitations
Send out Halloween Party invitations early - at least a month in advance. Your guests will need to either make, buy or hire costumes and they need time to do so - leave it too late and they won't have time or they will be sold out.
Decorate for a Hitchcock Film Theme
Scary Halloween Party Themes for Adults
As it's Halloween, you might want to go with a suitably scary theme. Some themes require more effort on the part of your guests than others. A zombie theme can be quite easy for guests - some dishevelled clothing and hair, add some gory make-up and they're done. Choose a werewolf theme and their lives will be more difficult (and any female guests might not thank you) as it's more tricky to put together a convincing werewolf outfit. Better to choose a "Monsters" category so that people can choose their own.
- Monster Mash
- Zombie Apocalypse
- Vampires, victims and slayers - whether in a cemetery or a nightclub, always great!
- Gothic Horror
- Ghosts and ghouls - in a haunted mansion or a ghost town
- Horror film villains and victims
- Hitchcock films - think Psycho and The Birds
- Hammer Horror films - The Mummy, Frankenstein and Dracula all rolled into one!
- Voodoo - could be in the French Quarter or on the Bayou - scary stuff!
- Crime Scene
The Un-Costumed Guest!
To be the perfect Halloween party host, have a few extra costume items and accessories just in case someone forgets to come in costume, couldn't find one in time or got invited at the very last moment. They will love you for it!
Fun Party Themes for Halloween
If you've had enough gloom and doom and want a more upbeat theme there are literally hundreds. Maybe start thinking about who you would like to dress up as, and take it from there. If you are stuck, here are some suggestions.
- Styles and music from a particular decade - '60s, '70s, '80s etc.
- Any character from a favourite show - The Muppets, Star Trek, Happy Days, The Waltons, MASH etc
- Disney characters
- Historical characters
- Famous couples
- Anything or anybody beginning with a letter of your choice
- Anything or anybody that was invented, filmed or born etc in a year of your choice
Hot Themes for a Halloween Party
Spice the evening up by asking your guests to wear something saucy! Just about any theme can be adapted simply by putting "hot" in front of it - so not just "vampires" but "hot vampires". Themes that lend themselves well to a sexy look include:
- Western - cowboys and saloon girls
More Halloween Party Ideas
A Theme is Not Just Costumes
Don't make your guests do all the work - you need to do some planning of your own. Think about
to suit your theme. See the links to the right for some helpful suggestions.