DIY Christmas gifts!
Homemade Peppermint Body Butter
What a wonderful gift, homemade lotions!
- 6 oz Coconut Oil
- 2 oz Cocoa Butter
- Peppermint Essential Oil (or fragrance of your choice)
- Red colorant (optional)
- Melt both oils in a double broiler, once they are completely liquefied, refrigerate (Do not put in the freezer)
- Once the oils seem to have set up, whip them together until they become creamy.
- Once oils are creamy, refrigerate for 5 minutes, then whip again while adding colouring and scent.
- You can skip the coloring and just keep this white and it will still look really pretty.
Scent options are unlimited!!
Make a Mug!
The possibilities are endless when it comes to decoration a personal mug for friends or family! It's a great gift that they can use, its cheap and easy to make!
You will need:
- Coffee mug (Tip, ceramic works best)
- There are so many options you can do, but once you've figured out the design you want, put that puppy in the oven.
- It works best if you start by putting the mug in the cool oven
- Then turn the oven on to 425 and let it bake for about 30 minutes
- Let the mug cool in the oven as well
Tips for the Mug
Here are some helpful tips to help your mug turn out how you planned.
- Get a ceramic mug. The more expensive the mug, the better the glaze on it will be. A better glaze is not good. You want a glaze that will melt better with the marker.
- Get all the oil off your mug. Do this by rubbing it down with rubbing alcohol. Maybe wear gloves to make sure the oil on your hands don't get on the mug.
- A BIC marker works best in many cases. Some sharpies will change color after being baked. Maybe try it out on a test plate or other mug
- If the marker starts to run or you made a mistake, take a q-tip and run it along the mistake. Make sure not to get the rest of your design.
- Place your mug in the oven first. Then turn it to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. The reason it is so hot is to get the glaze hot enough to bond with the marker. The mug needs to be in the oven before you turn it on so that it slowly heats with the oven. This will prevent cracking.
- You can start the timer for 30 minutes once you have your mug in. If your oven takes a long time to heat, start the timer at 30 minutes once it has reached 425 degrees.
- Check your mug from time to time to make sure it's not cracking. Also, some people using white mugs say the mug sometimes turns yellow or brown.
- Once the timer goes off, you can shut the oven off. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR MUG. It might make the mug crack
- Try running a wet rag over the mug, if the design stays, go ahead and try the dishwasher if you want. If the wet rag messed up the design, try going over the design again and put it back in the oven.
Christmas gift basket
Oh, you gotta love America. Every season comes with a colour coordinated snack. Orange oreos for Halloween, red for Christmas, green for St. Patties day. So it's sooo easy to make a holiday gift basket for any holiday.
Ideas for your gift basket:
- Oreos, chocolates, those holiday coordinated snacks we talked about :)
- Some of that amazing hand lotion we made earlier
- Chapstick! I have a really cool video for homemade lipgloss in my Hub for beauty ideas
- Hot-coco mix with a homemade mug!
- Homemade trail mix
- Homemade Christmas candy. Use your family recipes!
- THE OPTIONS ARE UNLIMITED!!!!
P.S. Love those super cute Christmas bowls they used as a gift basket!
Oh my goodness I love this idea so much!
You will need:
- Old frames
- Paint (optional)
- Paint the frame if you would like
- Connect the canvas to the back of the frame, I recommend staples or hot glue
- Connect hooks to the canvas
- Hang up your jewelry