Father's Day Gift: Handmade Bookmark
Please rate this bookmark!
Handmade Bookmark for my Dad
There are many types of gifts you can make on your own at your home, at your own pace, any time of the day without any hurry. Since Father's Day celebration is around the corner, why not give a try on making something special for your dearest dad, pop or pa.
Some of self-made gifts are photo frame, bookmark, Father's Day card, keychain and many more which you can find in various websites.
Here. I have just made a bookmark for my dad because he loves to read. By giving a bookmark, he will notice it everyday or every time he opens his favorite book. The bookmark will remind him of me, giving him this special gift that I handmade.
A father carries pictures where his money used to be.— unknown
Supplies you need:
Reasons I bought Sharpie Markers
- I first bought these Sharpie Markers because I needed the slate gray color which I can't find in any book store.
- One unit is costly, so I bought a 24 piece pack which cost lesser than I thought. I had saved a lot when I bought more.
- It comes in 24 different color markers, red, blue, green, yellow, brown, purple, almond, boysenberry, navy, pink lemonade, slate gray, magenta, tangerine, sky, mint, peach, lilac, pink, orange, turquoise, lime, berry and aqua. a little water on top, no smear!
- Very satisfied with the deep color and the ink doesn't get stuck at all.
- I used these Sharpie markers for my handmade card drawings, writing out quotes and drawing anime too.
- Gives a quality look for birthday cards and bookmarks.
Buy Sharpie Markers
Method with Step-by-step photos
Reasons I bought Curling ribbons
- These ribbons comes in 4 different colors. Each roll is around 4 inch wide and 55 feet long enough for me to make a lot of bookmarks for church charity and for my dad's Father's Day bookmark.
- I like the strawberry and orange color which gives bright striking contrast with the bookmark I made.
- It is not so curly you can curl it around your finger, it will curl up easily.
- Definitely worth the budget and quality wise, I say a YES.
Buy Curling Ribbon
Do you know you dad well?
What does you dad really wants ?
It is a wise father that knows his own child.— William Shakespeare
Step by step instructions: Cut out the yellow paper
- Firstly, fold the A4 yellow color paper into half, horizontally. It should turn out to be in a rectangular shape as photo shown.
- Then, use a ruler and pencil to draw out the measurement on the folded paper; 2inch x 6inch ( 5cm x 15 cm ); height x length.
- Cut out along the drawn measurement. Leave aside.
Cut the white cardboard
- Next, draw out the measurement on a piece of white cardboard or used cardboard ( example: cereal box ).
- It should be 1.5 inch x 5 inch ( 4cm x 12 cm )
- Cut along the lines. Leave aside.
Slit some holes
Flip open the yellow paper, press it down on the table.
Carefully, use a penknife to slit 2 slits roughly 0.5inch and then leave 1inch gap.
Then continue to cut 2 slits again and leave 1 inch gap.
You will make at least 7-8 pair of slits as photo shown.
The slits resembles the gills of a fish.
Leave a space of 1cm ( 0.5 inch ) in between the slits.
This is to allow the ribbon to weave through the slits.
Cut the ribbon
- Get a long piece of ribbon, any color of your choice.
- Measure and cut at 7 inch length ( 18cm )
- Cut out a small piece of double-sided tape.
- Paste it at the end of one side of the ribbon.
- Hold on to the other end of the ribbon and weave through the slits of the yellow paper.
- You will see the ribbon turns out in and out of the card.
- Cut off the excess ribbon ends.
- Tape the double-sided tape onto the card, for both sides.
- Remember the white card you had cut out earlier on? Place it inside the yellow paper.
- Fold down the excess part of the yellow paper downwards.
- Apply white glue onto the folded down excess paper to seal it.
Making the designs
- Choose any color marker that you preferred.
- Make dotted lines across the four borders of the rectangle bookmark on the yellow paper.
- You can draw pattern lines or just use a ruler to draw straight lines, whichever you desire.
- Then, place a 10 cent coin onto the left hand side upper corner of the bookmark.
- Use a pencil to draw a semi-circle, half moon shape.
- Use a penknife to carefully cut out the semi-circle shape, right through past the inner white card too.
- Hence, you can see a half moon hole through the bookmark.
- Use the marker of different or same color to draw flowers or anything on the bookmark.
- Alternatively, you can put on stickers, print out pictures, anime characters or paste your photo onto the bookmark.
Loop in the ribbons
- Cut out the length of a piece of ribbon at 7inch length ( 18cm)
- Fold the ribbon into half and loop through the semi-circle hole.
- Loop the two ends of the ribbon through the ribbon loop as picture shown.
- Pull up the ends to make sure they are tight and firm.
- Cut off the ends of the ribbons into a "V" shape.
- Your Father's Day Bookmark is ready!
Marble Cake with Almonds
Lunch and Dinner ideas for Father's Day
- Simple Noodles for Lunch
Fried Yellow Noodles also known as Fried Hokkien mee or “Char mee” is one of the well-known stir-fry dish in Chinese community in Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. It is one of the best delicacies in hawker stalls because this dish is inexpensive and t
- Chicken Dinner for the whole family- Chicken Pot Roast
Looking for a healthy meal for the family? Here is a simple and easy chicken pot roast recipe for the family, mix all ingredients into a pot and simmer till they are cooked.
- Rice Cooker Cake Recipe: Marble Cake With Almonds
Marble sponge cake is super easy to bake when I use my rice cooker. It is a mixture of chocolate and vanilla cake, very impressive pattern and super delicious!
- Light Greens Recipe- Mustard green soup
Mustard green is one of the most green leafy vegetable in Asian countries. Mustard green is cheap, easy to purchase and quick to cook at the shortest time. You can choose to stir fry with garlic and ginger, which is the common dish in Chinese familie
Father's Day Handmade Card
Look out for my Father's Day related hubs
- Celebrate Father's Day In 9 Special Ways
Most father prefer to stay at home or have simple dinner at moderate restaurant compare to fancy, high class restaurant. Fathers are simple men with not much request.
- Top 10 Homemade Gift Ideas for Father's Day
Are you having problems with what to get for dad on Father's Day? Read on for some low budget gift ideas and some handmade ideas which you can make at home
- How to Make Pop Up Father's Day Card with Quotes
Give a special card to your dad on this Father's Day. Make your own Pop Up father's Day card with your favorite Father's Day quote in your card. With your handwritten message and card, I am sure your dad will be touch with your effort and time taken
- Embossed Happy Father's Day Card
Learn to make a simple Embossed Happy Father's Day Card by recycling papers, embossed the handmade card with card box or hard card and simple words "DAD" to make your dad happy. Embossing is easy !
© 2011 peachy