How To Make a Rainbow Birthday Cake
Rate the Rainbow
Cute Dessert Idea
A rainbow cake is cute dessert idea for a birthday cake. The surprise lies on the inside. Layers of primary colors in the cake batter make this cake fun and appealing and it tastes so good!
This rainbow birthday cake is a great cake mix for young and old alike. You can theme your party with rainbow decorations like streamers and balloons. The bright colors lend easily to decorating for a children's birthday party.
This recipe is made easily by using two white cake box mixes. If you prefer your own homemade white cake recipe you van use that instead or try this white cake method from King Arthur Flour.
Once you make the cake you will be dividing it into 6 separate cake bowls or plastic containers. Kids can help you make this cake by mixing colors and stirring the batter. Standard liquid food coloring works fine. For deeper more rich rainbow colors, use professional food service food colorings like . Ateco food coloring kits
Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans well. You want to avoid having the cake stick to pans and crumble apart before you get a chance to frost it. By allowing the cake to cool completely you can also avoid any mishaps when taking the cake out the cake forms.
Divide the batter into six bowls. Use a measuring cup to do this so that the batter is divided evenly for the recipe. This is the start of how you will color your rainbow cake recipe. If you are using a standard 4 color food coloring kit, remember your color chart. Yellow plus red equals orange. Red plus blue equals purple. More on this later.
Divide Batter 6 Ways
- 2 - 9" cake pans white cake, colored rainbow style
- Frosting your choice, white or colored
- Divide the batter into six cups. Color one cup red, orange, yellow, green, blue and the last purple. Use as much food coloring as necessary to get the desired color intensity that you are looking for. Less coloring for pastel cakes more for vibrant cakes. Use red and yellow drops equally to make orange. Red and blue drops, equally, for purple.
- Use a measuring cup to pour batter into greased and floured cake pans. In the first pan pour red batter, then orange and finish with the yellow. Pour neatly on top layers so that colors merge outwards toward edges (see photos). The second cake pan gets green batter, blue batter then the purple. You will use all of the cake batter from three cups when pouring into pans. Bake these according to cake batter instructions. Let cool for at least an hour. Remove from pans then wrap in plastic wrap and cool in refrigerator for one hour. By refrigerating the cakes you will have a sturdier cake to work with when frosting. If you want the rainbow colors in each layer then pour red, orange, yellow, green, blue then purple into each cake pan and bake. This means half of the batter from each of the six cups will be poured into each cake pan.
- Level the cakes. This is an easy process of slicing off the top to provide an even surface when frosting. Use a Wilton cake leveler or Ateco cake knife.
- Frost and decorate the cake any way you choose. See photos for inspiration. I prefer butter cream or cream cheese frosting because it holds up better but you can use whip cream frosting if you like. I have provided links below for great frosting recipes.
Frosting and Icing Recipes
- To Love Me is to Feed Me
Recipes from traditional to comfort food. Fast to make and recipes that are a labor of love. I know what I love to eat and I want to share it with you. "To love me is to feed me!"
- Sturdy Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe - Allrecipes.com
This is a YUMMY whipped cream frosting that is very stable and does not melt at room temperature unlike many standard whipped cream frostings. It also makes a GREAT dip for fresh fruit -- not too sweet, just right!
- Classic Buttercream Frosting Recipe | Savory Sweet Life - Easy Recipes from an Everyday Home Cook
Classic American Buttercream frosting. This recipe uses powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and milk. This is a great recipe for decorating and piping on cupcakes and cake.
Rainbow Party Decorations
Test Your Rainbow Knowledgeview quiz statistics
- How to Make Basil Pesto
Pesto literally means "to pound" in Italian. Pesto is a sauce used to top pasta, potatoes, or it can be used as a dip. Here is a simple pesto recipe you can easily make at home.
- The Best Vegetables to Use for Juicing - InfoBarrel
The best vegetables to use in a juicing machine are organic. Some vegetables are just better overall because of their vitamin and mineral content. What vegetables produce the healthiest juice?