- Holidays and Celebrations
How to Make Gift Boxes for Homemade Christmas Cookies
Make Gift Boxes for Christmas Cookies
While you can buy cookie tins at dollar stores and discount stores to present your homemade Christmas cookies to friends and family, it's fun and frugal to make your own gift containers. Plus, making gift containers for Christmas cookies is a great rainy-day craft project for kids. This project can also be adapted by teachers as a great easy classroom project for the Holidays, Mother's Day or Valentine's Day. Using just a few recycled items from around the house, you can make a beautiful gift container for your homemade cookies or other treats.
Start collecting these materials several weeks in advance of when you want to make your craft project.
You will need:
- Container: I like to use containers from Cool Whip (whipped topping), coffee cans, or Quaker Old Fashioned oatmeal cans. Oatmeal cans have a tall, cylindrical shape which is perfect for shipping round cookies through the mail. Save the containers and remove any labels you can. Plastic containers should be washed in warm, soapy water and rinsed well.
- Wrapping paper: Holiday-themed wrapping paper or solid colored wrapping paper. If you don't have wrapping paper, construction paper works well too.
- Ribbon in coordinating colors
- Craft glue or a glue gun
Make a Holiday Themed Containter for Christmas Cookies
For Oatmeal Containers and Coffee Cans
- Measure the height and diameter of your container. Using a pencil and a straight edge, mark on the wrapping paper a section slight taller and wider than the height and diameter you measured. Cut it out carefully. Hot glue using your glue gun or glue using craft glue the paper around the cylinder.
- Trace the lid of the container onto the wrapping paper or construction paper. Cut it out with sharp scissors and glue it to the lid.
- Place a length of ribbon around the rim, hiding the edges of the container, and hot glue it in place.
For Whipped Topping Containers
- The curved sides make it difficult to fit and glue paper to the sides. Instead, if you have old greeting cards or Christmas cards, cut out pictures and glue them to the sides as decoration.
- Follow the instructions above to place and glue paper over the lid.
Uses for Decorated Containers
Bake a batch of your favorite Christmas cookies and place them in waxed paper, then place them inside the decorated canister or container. Add a card and give as a gift to neighbors or friends. You can also fill the containers with small toys and give them to children as little presents, or fill them with inexpensive treasures as an office gift, friend gift, or Secret Santa gift.