- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Event Planning
How to Make a Watermelon Bassinet for a Baby Shower
Anytime you make a party or a shower, it's always nice to use the foods you are serving as part of the decoration. I made this watermelon bassinet for an afternoon baby shower. It served as a refreshment and decoration.
I suggest that you choose the fruits that you use by what you like, what is in season and what looks good. You can do many variations with a fruit basket, including: a baby buggy, a basket or a bowl. Use your imagination and creativity.
What do you think?
- Watermelon, oblong shape is easier
- wash and drain all the berries and leave them in the drainer. Wash and dry the watermelon.
- Place the watermelon on a cutting board. Draw the lines for where you want to cut it.
- If you have a special cutter that will scallop or make Vs, use that. If you don't, just use a sharp knife. Remember that you will need to cut through the flesh.
- After you remove the top, you can start taking out th flesh. You can use a melon scooper or an ice cream scooper. In the interest of time, I just cut squares and took them out.
5. After you have taken out the flesh, you will need to scrape off any remaining flesh from the sides. You can use a spoon or an ice cream scooper. When all the red is gone, clean off the area and leave your melon to dry upside on the cutting board.
6. Use a carrott peeler to peel off one side of the melon. Cut this piece off and clean any seeds from it. Put it aside. This will be the babies face.
7. Peel the rest of the melon and clean out the seeds. Cut two one-inch slices to put aside with the head. These will be the hands and feet.
8. Cut up the rest of the melon. Cut the pineapple, honeydew and kiwis. Quarter the strawberries, leaving one whole one to the side for the hat.
9. Put your fruit salad together and sprinkle with little lemon to keep from turning brown.
10. Fill the watermelon with the fruit.
11. To make the face, cut small circles into the cantalope to insert blueberries for the eyes. Cut hole for the mouth, which you can fill with a pacifier or as I did, a marshmallow ice cream cone.
12. The hands and feet are very easy. I took the two rings and put slight triangle cuts in them to look like fingers and toes.
13. I took a strawberry with the hull on and sliced it from the bottom up. I fanned the slices and used a toothpick to fasten it to the baby's head.
14. Place the head up near the hood and bury the feet and hands into the appropriate places and...voila....a watermelon bassinet, complete with baby!
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 22 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Sodium 4 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Watermelon Basket Fun
You can be creative and have fun with this. These are the fruits and designs I did but you may want to do yours differently. You can use candy to embellish your basket or even flowers. You avn add wheels (orange slices) to make it a stroller and I have seen people add lace to it also. Use your trusty friends, Google, Bing or Pinterest to help you with ideas! Enjoy!