Gift Hampers - A Unique, Fun and Creative Gift Idea for ANY Occasion!
Buying a present for a friend can be both stressful and a little daunting. Especially for those few friends who seem to have everything.
They've already bought the latest CD's, they have more bottles of perfume than you'll ever own and they don't eat chocolate.
The thought of buying yet another shower gel and body lotion combo is nauseating, and you'd rather sink into the floor than give them one of those store bought vouchers.
So, what do you do?
Why not have some fun at the same time and get those creative juices flowing by making up a unique, one-of-a-kind Gift Hamper, Gift Box, or Gift Basket?
What is a Gift Hamper or Gift Basket?
A gift hamper or gift basket is usually made up of a wicker or weave basket that's lined with straw or shredded paper.
It's then filled with an assortment of treats and goodies, wrapped in cellophane and tied together with ribbon and a large bow.
Buy Online or Make Yourself?
It's easy and convenient today to go online, select a gift hamper of your choice, pay for it at the same time and request it to be delivered directly. There are literally hundreds of companies specializing in making up gift hampers and baskets - your options are limitless.
If you had some free time on your hands though, and knew exactly what your friend liked - wouldn't it be amazing to put together a unique and customized gift - just for your friend?
Imagine the excited look on their face - that's the look you're going for, not the fake smile and "Oh, thanks" received, after proudly giving them your gift.
The Gift Box
Make Your Own Gift Box
Creating your own gift box has several advantages over the store bought or online variety, a few off the top of my head include:
- The size of the box is entirely up to you
- Colours, design and theme are your choice
- You can fill the box with as many brands or items as you wish
- There is no delivery waiting period
There is something so special about filling a custom made gift box with your partner or friends favourite items. Imagine how excited you'd be to open a box made in your favourite colour and filled with small treats and surprises just for you?
How to Make a Custom Gift Box
- First, decide how large you want the box to be. Do you want layers in the box, or just one large compartment?
- The fun part about making up a gift box that's split up into layers, is having each layer represent a different theme, e.g. having a "bath time" layer, a "sweet treats" layer, or even a layer devoted to your friends favourite sport or hobby. You can get very creative with these.
- Once you know what you're putting into the box, the size, colour and design - you need to put it all together.
- You can use the thickest cardboard you can find - whatever is easiest to work with. I cut my pieces down to size and glued the gift wrap I'd decided on, onto the cardboard before folding each piece.
- You need to make sure that these are cut properly and that there's space to glue each piece together when folded, or you'll end up with unpleasant gaps and the box won't look very good.
- There are no fast rules on the exact size the box must be, just go with it - whatever feels right to you as long as sides are even and everything matches up. You decide how big or small you want the box to be.
- Don't forget to keep a piece aside for the lid.
- If you're doing layers, separate each section in the box with a piece of cardboard and tissue paper. If it's just one compartment, one layer of cardboard and tissue paper will be fine.
- Once you've arranged all the items in the box, add one last layer of tissue paper. You can even add some glitter or sparkles on top of the tissue paper for that extra touch.
- Put the lid on top of the box and wrap it together with a large ribbon.
- Add a bow and a handwritten gift card - and voila! You now have a custom made one-of-a-kind gift box that your partner or friend will love!
The Gift Hamper or Gift Basket
Making a gift hamper or gift basket is just as easy as making a gift box.
The only main difference is, whatever you put into the gift hamper or gift basket is on display before it's even opened.
- Decide what type of basket, tin, wooden crate or tray you'll be using as the base of the hamper.
- Add the straw or shredded paper onto the base.
- Arrange the items you've chosen into an attractive display on top of the straw or paper.
- Wrap the hamper in good quality cellophane and tape the edges together. (Be careful to discreetly tape these together - nothing is more unattractive than a hamper with pieces of tape all over the place.)
- Tie the hamper together with ribbon and a large bow.
- Add a handwritten gift tag to the hamper.
It's as easy as that! Your friend will love the time and thought you've put into this gift - and seeing the look on their face when you present this, is priceless!
Have you ever received a Gift Hamper or Gift Basket?
Special Occasions for Gift Hampers and Gift Baskets
I would recommend making up the Gift Box specifically for a friend or partner's birthday or as an anniversary gift as it's a bit more personal than a Gift Basket or Gift Hamper.
For Gift Hampers and Gift Baskets, the world is your oyster - you can literally make up one of these for any occasion!
Occasion Ideas for Gift Hampers or Baskets
Themed Gift Ideas
Chocolate & Wine
Tea Time Delights
Bath Time Treats
"Get Well Soon"