How to Survive Being Single on Valentine's Day
It is coming ever so closer... that day when hearts everywhere prepare for that day when love is in the air and traditionally those who have a love to share declares their love with a variety of gifts.
But if you are single on this day... who do YOU share love with???
How about YOU... yourself. After all it has been said that in order to love someone else, you have to first love yourself. So for those single out there this can be a day of celebration and love for us too.
Who says that being alone means being lonely... although admittedly it CAN be sometimes; it can be just as easily enjoyable to have some " you" time.
Being single on Valentine's or any day does too have its' advantages.
Advantages of Being Single This Day
- Don't have to gorge out on cheap chocolates
- You have the pick of the movie you see, or the place you dine
- The money you save on buying gifts can be lavished on you
- If you do decide to go out on V-day remember that the numbers of singles with the same idea may be substantial Warning however: Don't let alcohol or the V-day atmosphere fool you. go home alone... if it was really "magical" it will still be so tomorrow
Some Valentine's Day Do's
Use this day to pamper yourself
- Soak in a warm bath with your favorite music playing in the background...
- Curl up in bed with a good book
- Watch some of your favorite romantic films back-to-back
- Go and get a hair cut or styling... you will feel fabulous afterwards
- Spa day... and yes men their are male spas too... check your local listings
- Shopping ...especially for shoes can make you feel pretty good (fellas don't discount the benefits of a new pair of shoes... it is said that women look at a man's feet first; you may not be alone next Valentine's Day)
Some Valentine's Day Don'ts
- Don't feel obligated to go on blind dates (especially those set-up by some of your not-so-happily coupled friends... do you really want to follow their judgement?)
- Don't be a third wheel- although well meaning friends may offer ... you can respectfully decline
- Don't settle just to be with someone on this day, and call exes to give it a retry... as often the general romantic feel in the air (and a shot or two) can lead one to stroll down memory lane...remember why you got off that road in the first place
Who TO Give your Heart To This V-day
If You Are A Single Parent ... you know how much and unconditionally children can love. You have the benefits of Valentine's love 365 days of the year.
Spend some time creating some things with them to celebrate the day...
For Those Pet Lovers... you are blessed in that you have the benefit of living with the most loyal love giving beings on the planet. treat them this day to a new chew toy, collar, or cushion; and be glad this day to have a truly loving being in your corner.
Here are some things to consider...
BE A SWEETHEART...
Visit a lonely friend, or a shelter and maybe volunteer... remember that the greatest heart you can give on this day, is your own.
TRY THIS ACTIVITY TOO...
Look in the mirror and (first thing is the morning is fine) tell you all the fabulous things you need to know about yourself. Don't just say "you're nice", or "you're kind". Be specific tell yourself the hows, and whys. If you keep a journal do the same in your journal. We all know our negative points... use this day to treat yourself as you deserve.
YOU MAY ENJOY THIS DAY...
This is not just a day for couples, and if and when you decide to make it a day to love on yourself. Bring joy to that person who stares you in the mirror each day.
It is most important to to remember that on this day that all the couples you see out there are were once single too. If we are single now we can use this time to reflect on ourselves and focus on being healthier, more well balanced individuals; who will attract the same; if and when we decide to pursue a romance , or find that Valentine.
Here are a few poems that may stir thoughts of love...