How to Throw the Best Anti-Valentine's Day Dinner Party
Valentine's Day isn't for everybody. For the recently single and broken-hearted it can be downright depressing. But February 14 doesn't have to fill you with dread. Instead, create your own celebration with the ultimate Anti-Valentine's Day Dinner Party.
Who to Invite?
Only singles allowed!
Need I say more?
Ok, what about the dress code? No pink or white clothing item has a place at this party. Black and red clothing works best.
Everybody loves roses, but this occasion calls for black roses. Ask your florist for black colored roses and make the flower bunch the centerpiece of your table.
Your dining table should have a red tablecloth on it.
Lay some black candles around your house. It will set an intimate but distant atmosphere. It is not supposed to feel like a matchmaking party.
Party Song List
The soundtrack of your party should include anti-love songs. None of the sad love songs. This list is my favorite top 10 anti-valentine songs.
- "You give love a bad name" by Bon Jovi
- "You're so vain" by Carly Simon
- "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce
- "Love stinks" by J Geils Band
- "Love is gone" by David Guetta & Chris Willis
- "Used to love her" By Guns'N Roses
- "U and ur hand" by Pink
- "Through with you" by Maroon 5
- "You oughta know" by Alannis Morissette
- "Love bites" by Def Leppard
Drinks and Cocktails
A party is not a party without the adequate drinks. For this day introduce some red and dark colors together with some strong and bitter taste. That is what Anti-Valentine's is, right? Here are some ideas:
1) Sangria, the most loved spanish drink, gets its name from 'sangre' which means blood. Literally, sangria means 'a bleeding'. So what better drink to have than a bleeding love?
If like me, you'd rather not have red wine, serve some cava sangria to your guests. Try my own mastered recipe, made with mangoes and strawberries. If you fancy something redder, just add some food colorant.
2) Campari, the italian alcohol aperitif, is also a great choice for use in cocktails. Its red color and bitter taste makes a great combination. Try a Campari Mojito or make the Campari Orange Passion cocktail featured at campari.com. Here is how to:
- Mix 1 part campari with 3 parts orange juice and one teaspoon of brown sugar. Add crushed ice and two slices of fresh orange.
Its bitter sweet taste will remind you how much better off you are without your ex!
3) Sure there will be some some vodka lovers out there. If so, surprise your guests with black vodka. The blackish-violet hue of Blavod vodka will create many ohhhh's and ahhhh's from your crowd. It is worth trying one of the cocktail's on Blavod's main website, the Moon Glow (I call it Dark Passion). Simply pour cranberry juice into a tall glass withice, top with soda and gently float Blavod on top, creating a three layered drink.
Surprise your friends with a welcome edible bleeding heart. These heart-shaped cupcakes do actually bleed jam. Bake this bleeding heart cupcakes with strawberry or raspberry jam. To avoid the pink color in them swap the pink icing for some made with 75% cocoa. This will work best with dark Morello cherry jam. Its color is more blood-like and delicious.
When designing your anti-Valentine's day dinner menu, base your choices on broken heart/bleeding/bitter tasting together with strong colors like red or black. Choose from the next list or make your own:
-"Stuff you! appetizers": Say goodbye to your hurtful ex's with these yummy appetizers. Anything stuffed! Garlic-stuffed olives, feta cheese stuffed peppers, blue cheese-stuffed mushrooms or the Mediterranean vegetables and rice stuffed roasted tomatoes. If it is stuffed, it goes here!
- "Broken hearts salad": Combine artichoke hearts and romaine hearts. Garnish with some parmesan shavings and grill for 30 seconds. Use raspberry or pomegranate salad dressing for the reddish color.
- "Stabbed in the back grilled chicken": Serve chicken bread on skewers (call them daggers in here). Make some hot red spicy chili sauce to go with it.
- "Dark love": Grill fresh prawns with garlic, dry chili peppers and olive oil. Serve them with black fettuccine (the one made with squid ink). It is not only delicious but it will remind your guests that if there is something fishy about their next red hot dates, they must have a dark secret.
- King/Queen of the night
Crown your king/queen. Before inviting your guests to sit at the dinner table, make them write down how many months they have been single for. The person who has been single for the longest gets to sit at the head of the table. Have a crown prepared for he/she will be crowned king/queen of the night.
- Spin your ex's bottle
The always loved spin the bottle game, but changing some rules. Get your guest's together and make a circle, placing the bottle in the middle. The person who spins the bottle has to say something they did not like about a person's ex (the one who the bottle is pointing at).
- Stomp on my heart
Place red balloons around the house. Insert a note saying "I don't need no stinking box of chocolates" in each of them except in the winning balloon which should read "Yes, I do need a stinking box of chocolates". Have each of your guests stomp on one of the balloons. The person with the winning note gets a free box of chocolates. Because single people also like chocolate!
- L.i.e.-- Love is evil (an Anti-Valentines day page)
Lie or love is evil is an anti-valentines day page as well as a general love hate page. Publish your anti-love stores / ideas here!