Alice in Wonderland Party Decorations Using Products You Already Own
Birthday Theme Ideas
When you have to plan a birthday party for a child, you might decide to pick a theme for the birthday party. Since there are so many things that can be popular any given year, it can be hard to decide what to choose.
If you pick something like a film they love as your inspiration, then you need to pick specific parts of the film to incorporate into your party so that people will be able to identify this as part of the film.
When it comes to choosing a theme for an adult party, you can usually give people a specific century or time period and they can choose from that.
- A theme around a year like the 1950's, the 1970's, or the 1990's
- Choose a color scheme like 'Blue and White, 'Black and White, or 'Gold'
- Choose a theme relating to a film
Planning a Child's Birthday Party
If you decide to pick a party that related to a story book from your childhood or one that your child loves reading, then why not choose to have a tea party. After all this was a key part in the film Alice in Wonderland.
This type of theme will allow you to find everything you need in party stores and anything else you need you can find it on eBay or Amazon.
Use Items Already in Your Home
Use everyday items you already have in your home for the party. Things like old cups and jugs are perfect. Then if they get damaged, it won't matter to you. Also ask friends and family if they have anything they want to get rid of.
Also try searching thrift stores and charity shops to see if they have second hand china that is for sale.
List of Things You Will Need for Your Birthday Party
Banner made from Playing Cards
Tea Cups & Saucers
Tea Cups used as vases
Jugs used vases
Bunting made from bedsheets
Decorations for Your Tea Party
Search Amazon, eBay, Party Stores and Dollar Stores to find things that could be used in the party.
How to Make Your Own Playing Cards Decoration
- Three decks of playing cards
- Red colored string or ribbon
- Paper puncher
- Cut two and a half meters of ribbon or string.
- Using paper glue, stick two playing cards back to back.
- Using the paper puncher, punch a hole at the top of the card and thread the ribbon or thread through it.
If your banner is going to be placed against a wall then you will only need one to two decks of playing cards because the back of the playing card will be facing the wall
If you don't have a paper puncher, use sellotape to stick the string to the cards.
If you are using ribbon or string then make a small knot after each card to keep it secure in that position.
Decorating Your Room
Decorating Your Room
Once you have decided on your color scheme or your theme, you need to find items to decorate your room or garden with.
Remember to not get carried away with ideas and buy or make everything you see. You only need three to four ideas to help make your table setting and your room/garden look amazing.
Alice in Wonderland Floating Teacup and Saucer
Centrepiece Ideas for the Table
Table Centre Piece Made Using Tea Cups
- You will need a few teacups with saucers, some water and cut flowers. If you have flowers in your garden, you should use these to cut down on costs.
- Cut the stem of each flower about 1.5 inches from the top of the flower head so they fit in the cup.
- Add water to the cups and place a few flowers in each one. Place a cup on each table.
- If you have old cream jugs lying around, you can also use these for your flowers. You can find these in second hand stores. You could also ask your friends for some for your party.
- You could use jam jars to and add two flowers to each jar and place a few of them around the room.
- The same can be done with mason jars. Fill them up with water and place a flower in each one.
Making Your Own Bunting
How to Make Bunting at Home
- 2 double bed sheets
- a scissor
- iron on adhesive tape
Get a bed sheet and cut up 6 cm triangles.
Fold down the top of the triangles and place the ribbon inside the fold. Next lay down a strip of iron on . Then run your hot iron over it. This is easier than trying to sew each triangle to a ribbon adhesive tape
You can use old faded pillow cases, t-shirts or bed sheets that you no longer need to make bunting.
Also look in second hand stores to see if they any sheets that could work as bunting.
Would you ever make your own party decorations or would you buy them instead?
Tea Party Food and Snacks
When you are serving food at a party, the best thing to do is serve it on large platter. This will make cleaning up easier. You won't have loads of small plates to clean.
Also it lets party guest choose what it is they want to eat. You are not forcing people to eat something they don't like.
Make food ahead of schedule and try to serve food that can be eaten at room temperature. If you do serve hot food, you can pop it the oven to heat up just before serving it.
Serving sandwiches and mini appetizers is ideal for this type party as you can prepare them ahead of schedule.
Desserts for Your Tea Party
There are a number of different desserts you could serve your guests. You could serve scones with cream and jam, or some pastries and cupcakes.
If you have time, you could prepare your scones ahead of time. If you don't have the time you could just buy some scones, pastries and cupcakes from your local store or bakery.
Types of Desserts to Serve at Your Tea Party
How to Decorate your own Cupcakes
Enjoy Your Day
Once you have all the planning and decorating done, you can sit back and enjoy your day.
Organizing a party can be stressful, but try to keep the food as simple as possible and the decorating to a minimum. Also try to get some of your friends and family to help you set up on the day.
© 2014 Sp Greaney