Alice in Wonderland Party Ideas Using Products you Already Own
The first step of planning a party is choosing a theme. You can have a fancy dress party or just allow people to wear what they want.
If you are planning a party, you can have many different themes.
- A theme around a year like the 1950's, the 1970's, or the 1990's
- Choose a colour scheme like 'Blue and White, 'Black and White, or 'Gold'
- Choose a theme relating to a film
If you are choosing to go with the tea party from Alice in Wonderland, there are a few things you can use from your home when decorating the area.
Instead of investing lots of money on decorations, try to use what you already have in your house.
Making your own decorations can be cheaper than buying them.
Party Planning List
Playing Cards Banner
Tea Cups & Saucers
Tea Cup Vases
Decorations for your Tea Party
Make Your Own Decorations
To make a banner from playing cards all you need is:
- Two or three decks of playing cards
- Some coloured string or ribbon
- Paper puncher
How To Make Your Banner
- Cut some ribbon or string about two and a half meters long.
- Stick two individual playing cards back to back with paper glue.
- Punch a hole on the top of the playing card and thread the string/ribbon through the playing card.
- If your banner is against a wall you would only need one to two decks of playing card as the back of the playing card will be facing the wall.
- Stick the string to the card with cello-tape to ensure it does not move. If you are using ribbon, make a small knot.
Clock Plate made from Clear Plastic Plate and a Printed page of a Clock Face
Decorating Your Room
Once you have decided on your color scheme or your theme, you need to find items to decorate your room or garden with.
Check out Hubpages, the internet and Pinterest to find ideas.
Remember to not get carried away with ideas and buy or make everything you see. You only need three to four ideas to help make your table setting and your room/garden look amazing.
Decorating Your Room
Up-cycle Items Already in your Home
Up-cycle items in your home that you are no longer using like cups, jugs and jars. Ask your friends and family to hold on to similar items that they no longer using.
You could also search thrift stores and charity shops to see if they have second hand china that they are trying to sell.
Centrepiece Ideas for the Table
Alice in Wonderland Floating Teacup and Saucer
Table Centre Piece Ideas
- You will need a few teacups with saucers, some water and cut flowers. If you have flowers in your garden, you should use these to cut down on costs.
- Cut the stem of each flower about 1.5 inches from the top of the flower head so they fit in the cup.
- Add water to the cups and place a few flowers in each one. Place a cup on each table.
- If you have old cream jugs lying around, you can also use these for your flowers. You can find these in second hand stores. You could also ask your friends for some for your party.
- You could use jam jars to and add two flowers to each jar and place a few of them around the room.
- The same can be done with mason jars. Fill them up with water and place a flower in each one.
How To Make Bunting
To make your own bunting, you need:
- 2 double bed sheets
- a scissor
This task is very time consuming. It involves cutting out a lot of rectangles from a number of sheets and attaching them to a string or ribbon. It is a job for more than one person.
You can recycle pillow cases, t-shirts and bed sheets that you no longer need to make your own bunting.
You could also look in second hand stores to see if they sell sheets.
Have you ever attended a party with a theme?
Party Snacks for your Tea Party
When serving foods and snacks at your tea party, serve everything in large serving dishes. This means there is less chance you will have to go around refiling empty bowls. This also lets your guests choose what they want to eat.
Serve food which you can prepare ahead of schedule and put out a few minutes before your guests start arriving. Sandwiches and appetizers are ideal for this type party
Food and Appetizers for your Party
Desserts for your Party
There are a number of different desserts you could serve your guests. You could serve scones with cream and jam, or some pastries and cupcakes.
If you have time, you could prepare your scones ahead of time. If you don't have the time you could just buy some scones, pastries and cupcakes from your local store or bakery.
Types of Desserts to Serve at your Tea Party
How to Decorate your own Cupcakes
Enjoy Your Day
Once you have all the planning and decorating done, you can sit back and enjoy your day.
Organizing a party can be stressful, but try to keep the food as simple as possible and the decorating to a minimum. Also try to get some of your friends and family to help you set up on the day.
© 2014 Sp Greaney